best way to clean engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverrRyde

hey guys, i just bought myself a 1990 civic DX Hatchback and id like to know the best way to get the engine (and adjacent parts) as clean as possible.

Any tips or technics?

Thanks for the help!

1-cover alternator and distributor with plastic bag

2-Shoot water on all engine and ajacent parts (works better with high pressure)

3-Shoot engine degreaser (any good auto parts store)

4-Rince off

5-For shiny look you can always apply armor all but not really worth it because it will get dirty faster

Nickmyster said:
1-cover alternator and distributor with plastic bag

2-Shoot water on all engine and ajacent parts (works better with high pressure)

....no high pressure, this will get water in some parts where it shouldn't go (ex: spark plugs..) just use the hose spray (That's what they were saying in Motorweek), and some Simple Green. Works very good. :bigup:

Yeah any engine degreaser sold at Ctire or whatever does the job...but for best results you gotta rub that shit, like on alot of things LOL :bigup:

Bimmer_2002 said:
....no high pressure, this will get water in some parts where it shouldn't go (ex: spark plugs..) just use the hose spray (That's what they were saying in Motorweek), and some Simple Green. Works very good. :bigup:

I guess it depends. I've got a spark plug cover and have washed mine twice with high pressure (1500psi). I just don't spray elctrical components too much. The best is if you have access to compressed air, and you can blow the standing water away from "trouble" spots...

I don't usually cover anything, but maybe on an older engine it's a good idea. And I think I will do this year...

Also, drive your car a little bit so that the engine is WARM, not HOT. It will help aftawards when you are trying to let it dry. Also, I try to do this on a warm sunny day when I have atleast a few hours. THen I leave the car with the hood open in the sun so that everything is dry before I try to start it again...

good luck! :bigup:

there is ABSOLUTELY no problem with submerging external engine parts in water. anything that must not get wet under your hood is already waterproof (distributor cap, electronic devices) everything is sealed so that things that must not get wet won't take humidity. if your car does'nt work well after that wash, it's because something was ALREADY broken and should have been repaired. you can even think of it like an ultimate performance test to know if everything is in order!!!
O.k. enough talking, go get that powerplant clean!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back