smashing metal sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevelle71

Legacy Member
everytime i put my car into gear and release the clutch.. it makes a loud smashing metal sound.. my car doesnt move front nor back.. i jus changed my clutch maybe not even 200 km ago.. it happened tonite on the highway while i was tryin to get into 3rd gear released my clutch and that happened

any help would be great

Transmission makes a lot of noise:
A noise that sounds like a groaning or grinding noise is coming from your transmission. The noise is not there when you have the car in park or neutral, and it seems to go away after the car has been driven awhile or when you are moving at higher speeds. The problem may or may not occur more regularly.

Possible causes:

The transmission's fluid level is low: Fill transmission fluid to proper level.

The fluid in your transmission is contaminated: Flush transmission fluid and replace transmission filter.

The shift linkage for your transmission needs to be adjusted: Adjust shift linkage.

You have an internal problem in the transmission: Overhaul transmission.

The transmission's oil cooler lines are vibrating against the frame or body of the car: Reroute cooler lines for proper clearance.

a place called lemieux.. i still remember the first day i got it back my car didnt move from 1st gear lol they sent some guy he went other my car hit somethin wit a monkey wrench and left.. then told me its gonna cost me 1500$ for a new gear box and diff

sorry, thats the best i could come up with, in my limited knowledge, I will have to go with "incorrect installation or clutch" but i may be wrong. I hope you work this all out dude.

Chevelle71 said:
a place called lemieux.. i still remember the first day i got it back my car didnt move from 1st gear lol they sent some guy he went other my car hit somethin wit a monkey wrench and left.. then told me its gonna cost me 1500$ for a new gear box and diff

lemiex... I remember bad reviews from those guys, but it's probably been so long that i read that that i might be confusing it with somewhere else...

edit: I did a search i was thinking of some other shop.

thx cryptkeeper for your help its really appreciated
jus went downstairs to take a look at my car and theres oil drippin from under the tranny.. i went to check my transmission fluid.. its brown.. i guess i should draink it out .. change the filter and put some more tranny fluid?

Last edited:
At this point I should let you know that I am not a certified mechanic, so I can't (even with good intentions) tell you the propper course of action. I hope someone with more knowledge then me will swing around soon and tell you what to do.

I would say until then to put a pan under your leak, and (nless you know what to do) wait for someone with more experiance.

which one did this happen to the chavelle or the duster? man what i would give to own any one of those.

:(

Cryptkeeper said:
Transmission makes a lot of noise:
A noise that sounds like a groaning or grinding noise is coming from your transmission. The noise is not there when you have the car in park or neutral, and it seems to go away after the car has been driven awhile or when you are moving at higher speeds. The problem may or may not occur more regularly.

Possible causes:

The transmission's fluid level is low: Fill transmission fluid to proper level.

The fluid in your transmission is contaminated: Flush transmission fluid and replace transmission filter.

The shift linkage for your transmission needs to be adjusted: Adjust shift linkage.

You have an internal problem in the transmission: Overhaul transmission.

The transmission's oil cooler lines are vibrating against the frame or body of the car: Reroute cooler lines for proper clearance.

Last time I checked a manuel trans has no cooler lines and filter!!!
Either your trans shaft is broken or something is wrong with the clutch......

Just read your post in general and its definitly your trans is toast!!!!!!

$1500 for a tranny?? It better be an M22 for that price.

You can pick up Borg Warner super T10's, or M20 - M21's for $500 - $600 bucks....The labour is a joke;
1. Remove the shifter and linkage.
1. Undo the driveshaft.
2. Undo the bellhousing to tranny bolts (4) and Speedo cable.
3. Remove the transmission crossmember after supporting the gearbox with a hydraulic jack.
4. Lower and remove the gearbox.

I might be missing some small steps, but its really not hard to work on old RWD Domestics.

Its too bad because my buddy just sold his M21 with Hurst shifter/linkage for 600.....BUT he still has a 12-bolt Posi with Richmond 4.10's for sale for around $800 bucks out of a 70 Chevelle, so it's a bolt-in for your car ;).

well the guy i spoke to said umm.. hes gonna put me a new gear box and diff.. i give it to him on a friday night and ill get back on a sunday.. o ya hes puttin 3.55 gears
lol and about the 4.11 gears for sale.. its costing me an arm and a leg wit my gears set at 2.73 lol i cant afford to go any higher than 3.55 *banghead*

$1500 for a gearbox and diff.....What kind is he putting in? And why is he changing the diff too? It sounds like its just the gearbox.

4.10's do rev higher when cruising, but in the 1/4 they own :D

Try adjusting the shift rods before you spend any more money, it may not be going sompletely into gear. If that's not the case then rebuild the tranny at Estern on Henri Bourassa.

Note:
Manual Tranny fluid is always brown because you use gear oil not ATF oil.
There is no filter on old manual trannys.
Also there are no cooler lines either.

TOOMANYCHEV'S said:
Try adjusting the shift rods before you spend any more money, it may not be going sompletely into gear. If that's not the case then rebuild the tranny at Estern on Henri Bourassa.

Note:
Manual Tranny fluid is always brown because you use gear oil not ATF oil.
There is no filter on old manual trannys.
Also there are no cooler lines either.
tats the thing my gear box was finished about a month ago.. i was having troubles gettin into gear.. i guess now well its finished for good.. and since im at it im gonna also change the gears.. hopefully nothin is wrong wit the tranny... o and thx for the info about it bein always brown.. although its all over my garage floor :S

If it's just one or two gears that are finished and you can manage to remove the tranny yourself, Eastern will only charge you about 600$ for a complete rebuild. It's not too bad considering a complete rebuild on a Dodge Stealth manual tranny is 5000$ (And your car is ten times cooler than a Dodge Stealth. ) Don't give up on the car man, it looks like a really nice one.

Chevelle71 said:
and the damage for one night of pleasure is ..... 1500$ o well there goes my hopes for a new floor pan lol

Do yourself a favor and find a Turbo 400 auto trans because talking from experience I've tried all those "supposed" bulletproof M22, Borg Super T-10 and all the rest of those super duper manuel trans with the same results as you :(

They all broke at the main shaft .....
Then I installed a Turbo4oo auto trans and never changed again.
I installed it in 1989 and had 650hp BBC , sold it in 1992 and it's still going strong to this day *tu* .

The only manuel trans that will last is Richmond strip trans but $$$$$.
Or call up Lentech and get a real good AOD auto trans with an overdrive :bigup:

This is IMHPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tkm said:
Do yourself a favor and find a Turbo 400 auto trans because talking from experience I've tried all those "supposed" bulletproof M22, Borg Super T-10 and all the rest of those super duper manuel trans with the same results as you :(

They all broke at the main shaft .....
Then I installed a Turbo4oo auto trans and never changed again.
I installed it in 1989 and had 650hp BBC , sold it in 1992 and it's still going strong to this day *tu* .

The only manuel trans that will last is Richmond strip trans but $$$$$.
Or call up Lentech and get a real good AOD auto trans with an overdrive :bigup:

This is IMHPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the guy worked on my car today .. hes gonna put me a muncie 4 speed wit a first gear ratio of 3.8 or was it 3.08 and for my differential hes gettin me an 8.5 3.73 posi... he told me im gonna be shittin when i get it back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back