200km/h in a 50 zone: Awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

logik23

Legacy Member
4 times over the speed limit | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Chris Douche said:
Two young men face street-racing charges after they were nabbed driving side by side at an unbelievably reckless 150 km/h over the posted speed limit on a Rexdale street, police say.

The pair of leadfoots were heading into the city from Woodbridge around 11:30 p.m. Thursday, heading south on Martin Grove Rd. past Steeles Ave. W., when they were clocked at an astonishing 200 km/h in a 50 km/h zone, Toronto Police said.

"When I heard about this my eyes nearly popped out of my head," Traffic Services Sgt. Tim Burrows said yesterday. "It's four times the posted speed limit and they were coming into a residential area."

The veteran cop, who thought he had seen it all when it came to speeders, said it was a good thing the two drivers were stopped because they could have caused untold carnage travelling at such speeds.

He said Const. Sue Fisher, of 23 Division's Traffic Unit, was stopped in an unmarked cruiser in the northbound lanes of Martin Grove, just south of Steeles, when she spotted the two cars flying toward her.

The quick-thinking officer, whose vehicle was equipped with mobile radar, activated it and got a reading of 200 km/h as the new red Mini Cooper and the purple Honda Prelude SR-V whizzed by.

"They didn't even realize they were passing a police car," Burrows said.

Fisher immediately spun her unmarked car around to give chase and caught up to the speedsters soon after, he said. One of the drivers was stopped at a red light and the other, who had apparently made it through the intersection before the light changed, pulled a U-turn and drove back north on Martin Grove.

"The two cars basically came right to her," Burrows said. "It was a combination of good police work and good luck."

The drivers, 20 and 21, said they weren't racing and denied knowing each other.

"One of them is from the Netherlands and acted surprised to learn he was not allowed to drive like that in Ontario," Burrows said.

Holland actually has speed limits similar to Ontario and even highways there have a maximum of 120 km/h.

Burrows said Traffic Services was called in to investigate because of the excessive speed involved.

He shudders to think what might have happened to other motorists and any pedestrians had either of the drivers been forced to make a sudden manoeuvre at 200 km/h.

Under ideal conditions, with full braking, Burrows said reconstructionists estimate it takes more than two football fields and about 71/2 seconds to bring a car to a stop.

"After five seconds of 100% braking, you would still be going about 70 km/h," he explained. "And unless you're using high-performance tires, your tires would most likely explode if you slammed on your brakes at that speed.

"At the very least, the tires would most likely keep spinning even though the rims are stopped."

The two drivers, whose names were not released, have had their licences suspended for seven days.

"They also both had to call their older brothers and explain their cars were being impounded," Burrows said, adding neither actually owns the car they were driving.

CHRIS.DOUCETTE@SUNMEDIA.CA

dynamic_resize

A mid-1990s Honda Prelude SR-V (above) and a special John Cooper Edition Mini Cooper, both of which were impounded and stored at a yard in Etobicoke. Police say the two cars were involved in a race down Martin Grove Rd. at speeds up to 200 km/h in a 50 km/h zone. (Ernest Doroszuk, Sun Media photos)

I love the first comment totally debunking a bunch of stuff in the article.

A little fact checking with Newtonian equations of motion, assuming constant acceleration:

To stop from 200 kph in 7.5 s requires an acceleration of 7.4 m/s^2, or 0.75g.

Road test data for the MINI Cooper show a stopping distance from 80mph of 220 ft. Converting the units puts actual braking acceleration at 20 m/s^2 or 2.0g.

To allow for imperfect conditions and the higher initial speed, I'll reduce braking acceleration to 75% of the 80 mph number. Doing that results in a time-to-stop of 3.7 seconds, and a distance-to-stop of 102m, or 112 yards. Give-or-take, the length of 1 Canadian football field.

It is clear that neither the officer nor the author has the grounding in physics to make, or report on, the statements in the article.

They say that the guy stopped at a red light because he had no idea the cops were chasing him, that means the cop, who was in a phantom car, didn't have her lights on until she was near him, which means she probably got up to 150km/h with her lights off chasing after him. Wow, that's so safe. God I hate traffic cops...

I can easily admit that they deserve to get in some deep s*** for doing what they did but they definitely don't deserve nearly as much trouble as they're gonna get.

Rofl:

"The tires would probably explode"

"The tire would spin on the rim"

I guess it's a miracle I'm still alive, everyone who has driven and braked hard from 200km/h, on a track or otherwise, put up your hand. See you're not dead!

"An astounding 200km/h"

Everyone needs to get over themselves and stop creating drama. Just like that guy in the G35 who was stopped at 250 on the highway, yes speeding, yes ticket, but it shouldn't ruin the person's life.

Jesus Christ, 40 years ago people used to race around one hell of a lot more than they do today and in cars that were faster and less safe than the average Civic rice racer on the road today and not everyone died in a fireball.

Gang of ****ing hypocrites.

Rofl:

I guess it's a miracle I'm still alive, everyone who has driven and braked hard from 200km/h, on a track or otherwise, put up your hand. See you're not dead!

"An astounding 200km/h"

Everyone needs to get over themselves and stop creating drama. Just like that guy in the G35 who was stopped at 250 on the highway, yes speeding, yes ticket, but it shouldn't ruin the person's life.

Jesus Christ, 40 years ago people used to race around one hell of a lot more than they do today and in cars that were faster and less safe than the average Civic rice racer on the road today and not everyone died in a fireball.

Well said.

I e-mailed the journalist:

Let me make it clear right off the bat: I do not believe that it was safe or smart for these two kids to be doing these kinds of speeds on that kind of a road.

What I am writing to you about is the arrogance, hypocrisy and ignorance carried forward by Sgt. Burrows when interviewed about this story. This kind of attitude would never be tolerated by the media, the public or the police force when talking about a real crime. If the story had been about a rape, murder, beating, robbery, etc, Sgt. Burrows would make sure to use words like alleged as much as possible because our judicial system insures that everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Because these bogus street racing laws let faster drivers be treated worst then serial rapists, Sgt. Burrows continually implies that the two youths were actually driving at that speed and not just believed to be driving at that speed and that they were and still remain a menace to society. If someone was accused of murder, a police officer would never be allowed to say that the suspect actually killed someone, only that they were believed to have done so.

Another part of the article that I found appalling was his continued references to how unsafe the vehicles were at that speed. Someone in your comment section of the online article very clearly, and accurately, illustrated how the claims that Sgt. Burrows made about the stopping distances of the cars very exaggerated. Also, the claims about the tires exploding or the wheels stop turning while the tires kept spinning would make anyone think twice about driving any car. If a brand new high performance version of the Mini Cooper built by BMW like the one alleged to be speeding would not be able to safely brake from 200km/h, then how can the fleets of 10 to 15 year old Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundais, Fords, Chevrolets and Chryslers currently on our roads be allowed to drive on our highways? And if the tires did indeed explode when braking from those speeds, how on Earth did the driver come to a stop at the red light? Sgt. Burrows is obviously way out of his league when talking about the performance limits of any car.

Finally, it is mentioned in your article that Constable Sue Fisher, the police officer who gave chase, did so without the drivers of the two vehicles realizing that they were being chased by police. It seems hard to comprehend, unless Const. Fisher did not turn her emergency lights on until she had closed in on the alleged street racers. In that case, she is just as guilty as the drivers she stopped. And even if she did have her lights on, she still would have had to reach speeds that are significantly higher then the posted speed limit to catch the drivers. This seems like a tire explosion waiting to happen. Maybe Sgt. Burrows should focus less on the braking performance of a small, light, purpose built high performance car and more on the braking performance of 3 tons of police cruiser on soft suspension and fat, flimsy tires.

My hopes are that you forward this to Sgt. Burrows and Ontario's Traffic Services.

Best regards,

Let me know what you think...

"One of them is from the Netherlands and acted surprised to learn he was not allowed to drive like that in Ontario," Burrows said.

haha hes probably just saying that but I'm pretty sure that most places in europe don't have such harsh consequences for speeding like this.

Prelude FTMFW! LOL That looked like a pretty clean 4th gen!

And yes the SR-V can make it up to 200.

On another note, doing 200 in a 50 zone is stupid. If its a 50 zone its because its a residential area, about to become a residential area or there are stop signs/ red lights nearby.

Not the best place to test your cars maximum speed.

Last edited:
They say that the guy stopped at a red light because he had no idea the cops were chasing him, that means the cop, who was in a phantom car, didn't have her lights on until she was near him, which means she probably got up to 150km/h with her lights off chasing after him. Wow, that's so safe. God I hate traffic cops...

how do you know when the cops put their lights on? you were there? how do u know the guy didn't see the cop coming? maybe he decided to say he never saw the cop to try and get away easier then with a chase.

these kids were doing 200 in a 50 zone yet you still try to make the cops look like the bad people in here. lol

how do you know when the cops put their lights on? you were there? how do u know the guy didn't see the cop coming? maybe he decided to say he never saw the cop to try and get away easier then with a chase.

these kids were doing 200 in a 50 zone yet you still try to make the cops look like the bad people in here. lol

They were allegedly doing 200.

I never said she didn't turn them on, I said that could be one of the reasons if they never saw her coming.

And you say "maybe the kids just said so" well maybe "the cop just said so". :dunno:

You are exactly the problem with society. You don't see past what the cops show you.

Who cares what the crime was, everyone should be treated fairly and the cops should not be allowed to get away with bullshit.

It seems like people are more against "street racers" then murderers. lol

They were allegedly doing 200.

I never said she didn't turn them on, I said that could be one of the reasons if they never saw her coming.

And you say "maybe the kids just said so" well maybe "the cop just said so". :dunno:

You are exactly the problem with society. You don't see past what the cops show you.

Who cares what the crime was, everyone should be treated fairly and the cops should not be allowed to get away with bullshit.

It seems like people are more against "street racers" then murderers. lol

lol ok... anyways I'll let you keep ranting since you seem so determined to do so even though 99% of the times cops get proven to be right...

let us know how it turns out ok? *tu*

edit: 99% is a figure of speach, hopefully you get my point and not try to challenge me to pull out statistics to prove my number....

Rofl:

"An astounding 200km/h"

128714216730664545.jpg

wtf_is_this.jpg

OH I KNOW!

originals_bullshit1_ranndino.jpg

The tire would spin on the rim.

I want to see that.

Wait no the tire would explode.

Or spin on the rim.

Or divide by zero.

Replace picture by 'statement'

makes-no-sense.jpg

I love laws

50 zone could be a service road or industrial road. I<ve done worse before, and will do worse in the years coming. Who cares, they should've just kept going.

ca se rend a 100kmh une prelude?
je suis surpris

Jla comprend pas ...

"It's four times the posted speed limit and they were coming into a residential area."

Sa enelve rien a la gravité du geste , mais ct pas dans une quartier avec plein d'enfants....c'est un peu moins pire dans un coin industriel a 3h du matin

50 zone could be a service road or industrial road. I<ve done worse before, and will do worse in the years coming. Who cares, they should've just kept going.

:bigup: exactly my thoughts... if they would of continued.. the cops would of never catched them up..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back