Redrilling wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickd_21

I'm looking for some good advice from people who have actually had experience with this or know what they're talking about.

Basically I own a 2005 V70R with a bolt pattern of 5x108 and big Brembo brakes that need weird backspacing to clear. My choice of wheels is EXTREMELY limited due to the bolt pattern and the Brembo's unless I spend 3k+ on some BBS's, Advans, 360 Forge etc...which isn't gonna happen lol

I've heard of people redrilling wheels but I wanted to know how safe this is. Obviously I would get this done proffesionally. It's just that if I know that I can redrill to a more common bolt pattern, I'll have an amazing amount of choice.

If I take a 5x100 rim and machine the holes out 8mm will that work?

Thanks in advance

Fill and redrill is what you'll need, seems to me like an expensive job, over 150$ per wheel atleast. Spend a little extra and get the wheels that will fit to begin with.

IMG_1937.jpg

Moi j'ai des spacer sur les roues avant pour avoir des MAG de civic SI sur ma DX-G 2007... sinon le mag frotte sur l'étrier.

Fill and redrill is what you'll need, seems to me like an expensive job, over 150$ per wheel atleast. Spend a little extra and get the wheels that will fit to begin with.

IMG_1937.jpg

Ya that's what I was thinking...but even at 600$ (for all 4 redrilled) plus $1500 for wheels, I still don't think my options are that much bigger...

How bout wheel adapters? How much do those go for?

you can always drill 5 new holes in between the existing 5x100, similar to those universal wheels with 8 or 10 holes, would cost you no more than 50 a wheel at a machine shop.
i would not elongate the existing 5x100 another 8mm but drill new holes.

Adapters are deff the way to go Pat, If not, you can get away with wobble bolts if you find a wheel in the 5x110 and even 5x112 bolt pattern...

Your gonna shit your pants when you see my new wheels :p

Ya that's what I was thinking...but even at 600$ (for all 4 redrilled) plus $1500 for wheels, I still don't think my options are that much bigger...

How bout wheel adapters? How much do those go for?

i'd say your best choice would be with adapters!

Email Matt Crooke (matt@1552v2.com)

at
SafeRedirect.aspx

He quoted me $165 for the pair in fronts and $165 for the rears.. I needed a 5x100 to 5x120 adapter for corvette wheels and he was able to make it as low as 15mm

Crazy off-topic picture of vovlo with re-drilled wheels.
850photo.jpg

This is how 1 guy on volvospeed did it, and i quote
"
These were a one-off concept wheel for the XC90 that were made in Italy, but they've since then gone under and their line of wheels are no longer available. If you want the same look, here's an alternative route...get ahold of Lenny or Junior at http://motorsport-tech.com/ and tell them to run over to TSW and grab a set of the 19x8 Vortex in Hyper Silver and drill them to 5x108. They will do the machining for free if you buy the wheels from them. You have to get a 5x112 or 5x114 wheel, because they can't change the pattern more than 8mm. The magic offset numbers you need to be at for an 850 is ET41 in the front, and ET30-35 in the rear, so he can make you the proper spacers and provide bolts as well. Also, be sure to remind him to have TSW be sure to put the 65.1 hub rings for a Volvo in the box. TSW hub rings are very good because the wheel will actually 'snap' onto the hub...makes life much easier when installing the rims.

EDIT: According to their online inventory, right now, they have QTY 17 in stock of the Vortex 19x8 5/112 ET45 (P/N 1980VOR455112S72) Tell him to drill them to 108, and you'll need 4-5mm spacer in the front, and 10-15mm for the rear. They charge $35-50/ea for spacers, but if you buy the wheels from them, they will give you the break price for sure. Great guys to work with. We've had two excellent experiences with them thus far. I'm going to have them redrill some crazy low offset Axis wheels for me in the near future as well. :) "

so it can be done, but if you need spacers or not i guess will depend on what rim offset you take..

Pm scirocco16v.....

going with adapter will add atleast 15mm and make your wheels poke out, if your wheels do not allow you to use adaptors then redrill is the alternate option. I agree that redrill another 5 holes into an existing 5 hole wheel will not have overlapping holes which will look more appealing, if the wheels are forged it should be good to go. haha

ry%3D320

front
ry%3D320

countersink
ry%3D320

ry%3D320

going with adapter will add atleast 15mm and make your wheels poke out, if your wheels do not allow you to use adaptors then redrill is the alternate option. I agree that redrill another 5 holes into an existing 5 hole wheel will not have overlapping holes which will look more appealing, if the wheels are forged it should be good to go. haha

countersink
ry%3D320

are you kidding with this ? that is fucking retarded !!! I can't believe people actually do this. I wouldn't do that on any wheel, no matter how cheap it is.

Honestly the adapters are the best way to go if you want something that looks good and is fucntionnal and not unsafe like re-drilling in the same holes. Or filling in the holes by welding.

And if you want to re-sell your wheels, you still have wheels with a more popular bolt pattern, therefore easier to sell.

ry%3D320

front
ry%3D320

countersink
ry%3D320

ry%3D320

LOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOL

That is the sketchiest looking thing I've even seen lolololol. I would never do that to my car

I contacted a few of the names in this thread for wheel adapters. Thanks for the help everyone!

pour passer de 110 a 108...il se vende des studs qui sont "décentré"

Je drillerais pas .

spacer au pire,,mais tu doit prendre un backspacing différent pour alloué l'espace que les spacer vont utilisé.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back