How can we make my computer start faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemicalCraig

It's a p3 with windows xp professional.

from push the go button to being able to use the slut - is at least 4 to 5 minutes

what's up with that? is there any way to speed up startup?

ChemicalCraig said:
It's a p3 with windows xp professional.

from push the go button to being able to use the slut - is at least 4 to 5 minutes

what's up with that? is there any way to speed up startup?

ya... format it

Also a P3 on Windows XP is going to run sluggish. I'd suggest switching to Windows 2000 or Windows 98 even. If not Just get a better processor fan (45-80$) fan and then Overclock it.

VeeArrSixXeR said:
START --> RUN --> type MSCONFIG --> STARTUP Tab --> Uncheck the stuff you don't want at startup...
What this guy said.... That and keep all your drivers up to date... My Athlon xp 2000+ boots in 35-45 seconds sometime I just don't quit games I just reset the damn thing :bigup:

VeeArrSixXeR said:
START --> RUN --> type MSCONFIG --> STARTUP Tab --> Uncheck the stuff you don't want at startup...

winner!

well if not, you can invest in a new computer.. you won't see crazy leaps of speed as time goes by, since Intel and AMD will be more concentrating on stabilizations and hyperthreading performances (that's what Ilast heard) :)

a format is the best way to go uve probably been piling up sooo much stuff since uve had ur computer there's probably tons of stuff u don't need

back up everything u need onto cd or another hard drive...format it install windows and just keep ur computer clean

i had a amd 500 mhz lying around i formatted and the sucker boots in 25 seconds

i did the start - run - msconfig
unclicked a bunch of stuff

much faster now 2-3 mins
i think it's the wireless card that takes time to connect to the router... then norton being norton

the hd was formatted a few weeks ago, so that shouldn't be the problem. it's a laptop too, if that makes a difference.

thanks for the help!

Well then run windows 2000....almost the same as windows xp without the fancy GUI.
However windows 2000 takes longer to boot but once running it takes much less ressources from your pc...

ChemicalCraig said:
i did the start - run - msconfig
unclicked a bunch of stuff

much faster now 2-3 mins
i think it's the wireless card that takes time to connect to the router... then norton being norton

the hd was formatted a few weeks ago, so that shouldn't be the problem. it's a laptop too, if that makes a difference.

thanks for the help!

my wireless card in my laptop doesnt take that much time on the sign in. I'm runnin XP on a p3 too. there's still a shitload of stuff starting up that i dont want to start up.. im gonna have to configure my startup options

psyko514 said:
whoa there... i run it on 256 mb no problem. microsoft recommends 128 mb minimum.

I got a 256 too... but its slow cause I do a lot of multi task...

XP c fait pour les multi task

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back