Giant Camel Spiders in Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.
roxany said:
CA EXISTE PAS POUR VRAI CA ?!??

Moi qui a peur dune araignee de 2 mm de large...
une comme ca, je ne sors pu de chez moi

IRAQ!!! pas ici, t inquiete, mais si j en vois, jme promet de ten ramenr une empailler en souvenir

SilverGTS said:
IRAQ!!! pas ici, t inquiete, mais si j en vois, jme promet de ten ramenr une empailler en souvenir
encore la...

l'iraq c pas assez loin de chez nous./..

meme empailee jaurais peur....

jarrive meme pas a enleve ma poeur des pieuvres meme quand elles sont congelee, donc une araignee empaillee .. me freaking out

I want one, I want one :) !

wich pet-shop have them ? :)

damn they must eat a lot of cricket but doesn't matter :) ! I have big insects here haha :D

A friend of mine was stationed in Iraq with the Canadian army, and he saw those all the time. They run fast like hell, you can't outrun them. All they want is your shadow, though. Fortunetly they don't like staying in one spot for a long time, so all you have to do is fight the urge to run when they come charging at you, let them chill in your shadow for a bit, and then they run off.

Not my cup of tea....

OMFG !!!
y'a du monde qui bad tripperaient voir ça arriver à 10mph !! t'as beau savoir que ça vient juste pour ton ombre....ça fout la chienne pareil :cry:

How the hell does one of those things end up in your sleeping bag and you not know it? WTF!

Watever said:
I want one, I want one :) !

wich pet-shop have them ? :)

damn they must eat a lot of cricket but doesn't matter :) ! I have big insects here haha :D

With that size, IU'm pretty sure they can eat animals

Vtec Type R said:
A friend of mine was stationed in Iraq with the Canadian army, and he saw those all the time. They run fast like hell, you can't outrun them. All they want is your shadow, though. Fortunetly they don't like staying in one spot for a long time, so all you have to do is fight the urge to run when they come charging at you, let them chill in your shadow for a bit, and then they run off.

Not my cup of tea....

The spider is so big i could run after to get some shadow ...

And who won, the spider or the scorpion?

The photo below reportedly comes from a soldier, stationed in Baghdad, who was bitten by a camel spider that was hiding in his sleeping bag. Fortunately, these critters aren't venomous... but they're BIG and FAST (they can run around 10MPH). The photo shows two spiders attached together, and the camera angle makes them look a tad larger than they really are (they're about the size of an adult's hand). They also tend to seek out shade during the daytime, so it's not terribly unusual to see them charging across the desert at you -- only to come to a screeching halt when they reach your shadow

Sorry to end all the fun...

Camel spiders can grow to be as large as dinner plates.

Camel spiders can traverse desert sand at speeds up to 25 MPH, making screaming noises as they run.

Camel spiders can jump several feet in the air.

Camel spiders eat the stomachs of camels, hence the name "camel spider." (Legend includes the detail that camel spiders eat camel stomachs from either the outside in or the inside out. In the former case they supposedly jump up from the ground and grab onto camels' bellies from underneath; in the latter case exactly how spiders allegedly as large as dinner plates get into camels' stomachs intact remains unexplained.)

Camel spiders are venomous, and their venom contains a powerful anesthetic that numbs their victims (thus allowing them to gnaw away at living, immobilized animals without being noticed). U.S. soldiers were said to have been attacked by camel spiders at night but remained completely unaware of their plight until they awakened in the morning to find chunks of their flesh missing.
According to most spider experts, these claims are all false. Camel spiders (so named because, like camels, they can be found in sandy desert regions) grow to be moderately large (about a 5" leg span), but nowhere near as large as dinner plates; they can move very quickly in comparison to other arthropods (a top speed of maybe 10 MPH), but nothing close 25 MPH; they make no noise; and they capture prey without the use of either venom or anesthetic. Camel spiders rely on speed, stealth, and the (non-venomous) bite of powerful jaws to feed on small prey such as other arthropods (e.g., scorpions, crickets, pillbugs), lizards, and possibly mice or birds. They use only three pairs of legs in running; the frontmost pair (called pedipalpa) is held aloft and used in a similar manner to the antennae of insects. Camel spiders shun the sun and generally hide during the day, coming out at night to do their hunting.

Although whatever is shown in the photograph above appears to be far too large for camel spiders, the creatures look unusually large because they were held close to the camera, creating an illusion of exaggerated size. (Note the man's sleeve which appears on the right of the picture.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back