Lemon Law in Quebec or Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontrealM3

Legacy Member
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find information concerning Canadian or Quebec lemon laws (if they exist)? I can't find anything but the CAMVAP which seems to be only arbitration.

thanks

Lemon Law Update

Lemon-Aid author backs Ontario's proposed Lemon Law

Toronto, Ontario - "Governments have to take the "gotcha!" out of new car buying and Ontario's proposed Motor Vehicle Manufacturer's Act, 2002 does just that" says, Lemon-Aid author and consumer advocate, Phil Edmonston.

The Bill presented on October 22, by Mississauga Tory MPP Rob Sampson allows buyers to take back a vehicle that hasn't been successfully repaired under the manufacturer's warranty after three attempts to correct the same problem or would cost more than $1,000 to repair. This Bill, if approved by the Legislature, would be Canada's first so called 'Lemon Law'. It would provide remedies to a consumer who enters into an agreement to purchase a new motor vehicle if a substantial deficiency arises in the motor vehicle that is covered by a manufacturer's warranty and the manufacturer has been unable to remedy the deficiency.

"Unlike many other jurisdictions, Canada has no 'Lemon Law'," said Rob Sampson, MPP. "We need laws in this province that can offer recourse to consumers who buy new vehicles that have defects that can't be fixed," continued Sampson.

Under Sampson's Bill, the consumer has the option to require the manufacturer to repurchase the motor vehicle or, at no cost to the consumer, to provide the consumer with a replacement for the motor vehicle and to transfer to the consumer class title to the replacement.

"Sampson's Bill is a common-sense and efficient means for Ontario consumers to get their money back or another vehicle when faced with an unsafe, or unreliable car or truck-a problem that cuts across political party lines," says Edmonston, a former NDP Quebec Member of Parliament and Consumer Protection Critic.

i dont think we have one, but we should...
you can contact commision protection consumater du quebec, they have some legislation, but nothing major

There is actually NO Canadian Lemon Law as of yet however if you read in my previous post Ontario is trying to pass a bill to protect the consumer. "Ontario's proposed Motor Vehicle Manufacturer's Act, 2002" here's another excerpt from that article just to satisfy your question "Unlike many other jurisdictions, Canada has no 'Lemon Law'".

Originally posted by bmw318I
wouldnt that mean that every vokswagen owner would be aloud to bring there car back to the dealer

dont forget BMW motor's notorious reputation ;)

Originally posted by 18Turbo

dont forget BMW motor's notorious reputation ;)

the e46 m3 engine was the first ,

bmw is know to make the best inline 6 out there

now im not sure what vw do well, im still tryng to figuer it out

Last edited:
Originally posted by bmw318I

the e46 m3 engine was the first ,

bmw is now to make the best inline 6 out there

now im not sure what vw do well, im still tryng to figuer it out
well they have a good cycling team ??:dunno: :dunno: :rolleyes: dubs are cool.... ok?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back