Longest time without sleeping GUINNESS WORLD record...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russianguy

Legacy Member
What was the longest time you went without sleep and how crazy do you think it would be to beat this kid's world record? Longest I went without sleep was about 72 or 84 hours and it was a funky experience filled with holucinations at the end. Don't know how it feels to go for 264 hours though but i want to try it. Think about it.... its your chance to be in the Guinness Book of Records. :)

"In 1964, a 17-year-old San Diego student named Randy Gardner stayed awake for 264 hours (11 days), a record that won him a place in The Guinness Book of Records. After staving off sleep for a few days with cold showers and loud music, he could no longer focus his eyes and had to give up TV. His speech slurred, and he fell into a silent stupor. Sleep experts now believe that long sleepless stints like Randy's can be dangerous. An experiment conducted at the University of Chicago in 1983 showed that rats died when kept from sleeping for two and a half weeks."

a couple of years ago when i use to do alot of after hours

wouldnt sleep for about 72 hours ( the whole weekend)

lose around 25 pounds , and sleep 12 hours a day:)

nowadays i wouldnt dare trying those fun experiences again

Here's actually what happens... you might wanna read it before you try to go without sleep for an extended period of time. I don't agree with all the symptoms though and it's strange the kid was ****ed up already on day 2. During the 84 hour period which i did not sleep i worked on 2 projects (60 pages long in total) and did 2 presentations at university. It was extreme but i only had holucinations towards the very end....

Lt. Cmdr. John J. Ross of the U.S. Navy Medical Neuropsychiatric Research Unit in San Diego, who was called in by Gardner's worried parents to monitor his condition, tells a quite different story (Ross, 1965). Gardner's symptoms that Ross reported included:

Day 2: Difficulty focusing eyes and signs of astereognosis (difficulty recognizing objects only by touch).

Day 3: Moodiness, some signs of ataxia (inability to repeat simple tongue twisters).

Day 4: Irritability and uncooperative attitude, memory lapses and difficulty concentrating. Gardner's first hallucination was that a street sign was a person, followed by a delusional episode in which he imagined that he was a famous black football player.

Day 5: More hallucinations (e.g., seeing a path extending from the room in front of him down through a quiet forest). These were sometimes described as "hypnagogic reveries" since Gardner recognized, at least after a short while, that the visions were illusionary in nature.

Day 6: Speech slowing and difficulty naming common objects.

Day 7 and 8: Irritability, speech slurring and increased memory lapses.

Day 9: Episodes of fragmented thinking; frequently beginning, but not finishing, his sentences.

Day 10: Paranoia focused on a radio show host who Gardner felt was trying to make him appear foolish because he ws having difficulty remembering some details about his vigil.

Day 11: Expressionless appearance, speech slurred and without intonation; had to be encouraged to talk to get him to respond at all. His attention span was very short and his mental abilities were diminished. In a serial sevens test, where the respondent starts with the number 100 and proceeds downward by subtracting seven each time, Gardner got back to 65 (only five subtractions) and then stopped. When asked why he had stopped he claimed that he couldn't remember what he was supposed to be doing.
In many respects Gardner's symptoms were similar to those experienced by a New York disk jockey, Peter Tripp, who endured a 200-hour sleepless marathon to raise money for the March of Dimes. During the course of his ordeal his thoughts became increasingly distorted and there were marked periods of irrationality. By the end of four days he could not successfully execute simple tests requiring focused attention. In addition, he began to have hallucinations and distorted visual perceptions. At one point Tripp became quite upset when he thought that the spots on a table were insects. He thought that there were spiders crawling around the booth and even once complained that they had spun cobwebs on his shoes.

He showed the same increasing moodiness and paranoia that Gardner did. On his last day, a neurologist was called to examine Tripp before sending him home. When Tripp looked up at this doctor in his dark, old-fashioned suit, he had the delusion that the doctor was really an undertaker who was about to bury him alive. Overtaken with fear, he let loose a scream and bolted for the door. Half-dressed, Tripp ran down the hall with doctors and psychologists in pursuit. He could no longer distinguish the difference between reality and nightmare.

This same pattern of mental deterioration that mimicks psychotic symptoms appears in several more systematic studies of sleep deprivation and extreme sleep debt. Thus, prolonged sleep deprivation does lead to the appearance of serious mental symptoms. In addition, even moderate amounts of sleep deprivation can lead to losses in mental efficiency that can threaten public and personal safety.

I've done about 36 hours.. But I really don't see how 264 hours is possible. How can you even sit without falling asleep after 48 hours?

ive done about 40 on after grad and i slept for like 3 days straight after that lol, i cant imagine doing any more

SheckY said:
ive done about 40 on after grad and i slept for like 3 days straight after that lol, i cant imagine doing any more
exactly the samething i think Jeff aka SlammedEF went for like 5 days without sleep something like that ....

Oh man.. Last year.. the 23-24-25-26 december...

23 night to 24 morning ---> Club + Rave
24 morning to 25 morning ---> Family party
25 to 26 ---> XMas Party @ clubs
26 to 2am ---> beer drinking + playing with new toys we recived..

crazy experiance!, drunk+lack of sleep = out of ur mind

48 hours was my tops.

I dunno how I did it, but ya.. 48 hours.. Let me tell you that I slept 16 hours after those 2 days.

24 hours, fu<k that shit :p... my question should be, how long was your longest ever sleep?
20 hours straight for me.

Russianguy said:
"In 1964, a 17-year-old San Diego student named Randy Gardner stayed awake for 264 hours (11 days)."
Let's see...it was the late 1960's and this guy was a 17 y.o. college student. And he stayed awake for 11 days. How much coke and amphetamines was he on? :D

Emre

Wow 11 days :eek:

My record is 3 days so ~72hours...

Longest time I slept is like 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back