Since there's a thread a day about it... RWD is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
all good except for anything that includes performance. you cant compare an understeering fwd car to an AWD or RWD car, the handling is uncomparable. A heavy HP RWD will want to go out on you, oversteer, but you can correct this, understeer, more gas, you can correct it. In a FWD if its starts understeering you let off the gas, brake and try to get it back, oversteering isnt a problem unless your purposly trying to throw the weight of the car around. You have less control over what the car is doing. AWD is bascially pointing the wheels where you want them and mashing the gas, the car kinda grabs the road in front of it in your direction of choice.

Last year I had a 2wd pick up truck..I had good winter tires..a diff locker and sand bags in the back and I never had any problems..The only times I got stuck is when i got a little too adventures and got myself high centered..But this year I got myself a Grand Cherokee..I still have the fun of rwd ( except no locker in yet:() but when I feel like driving through 4 feet of snow I cant just pop it in 4x4 and have fun..lol

your a god, RWD FTMFW!!!

you dont go back once you dip into the rear wheel drive club. too bad the auto manufactures dont use an affordable RWD coupe as a way to attract young buyers, instead they think that we are interested in the small fwd econo-trash like matrix/vibe, cobalt, civic, tiburon. I had to go back 24 years in time to find what makes me tick.

Same here ! RWD is so much more fun than anything elese, my car makes like 90whp, and it's way better than my friend's 160whp civic with a type r engine.

Seriously I'd rather drive my 90whp rwd than a car twice as powerful but fwd. it's way more predictable in the turns, it dosen't understeer like all those fwd cars.

As for awd, it's fun when there's a snowstorm AND THAT'S IT but pretty useless the rest of the time: heavy gas consumption, huge drivetrain power loss, heavy, more maintenance. etc...

Wtf... shame on you! There's no pride to own a FWD and it's not fun at all in turns! You have to use the handbrake to have some fun and if there's too much ice you'll just go straight forward even if you turn the steering. FWD definitely sucks.

J'ai pas conduit de awd assez longtemps l'hiver pour dire si c'est si plate que ça, mais j'sais que j'ai trouvé le moyen d'avoir beaucoup de fun en fwd dans le passé, mais j'aime tellement mieux mon nouveau rwd! Que du plaisir de conduite!:bigup:

Y'a rien qui arrive a la cheville d'un awd l'hiver pour ce qui a trait du plaisir de conduire et de la securité. Rwd est le summum de l'amateur de conduite sportive en condition sec et pour se qui est du fwd, ca fais ses preuve, quand meme moyen dans tirer un peu de plaisir mais c'est plus pour la vie de tout les jour comme aller a l'épicerie.

FWD is fine for small city cars when you need to get out of snowy parking spots and such without guzzling gas like mad.

Just got home, all I have to say is e46 m3 is the best car ever and its rwd so rwd is king.

All other cars sucks!:p

Wtf... shame on you! There's no pride to own a FWD and it's not fun at all in turns! You have to use the handbrake to have some fun and if there's too much ice you'll just go straight forward even if you turn the steering. FWD definitely sucks.

Since a lot of good things have been said about rwd, I obviously can't push any further on the matter since the point has been made but all I can say is that this winter, with the plague of a fwd car I drive, when taking a corner rich with a snowy path, I MUST handbrake it. There's NO WAY i'm gunna try to let off the gas to prevent my myself from undeersteering so I can safely take this corner and exit it with barely any traction.

I know this guy is probably bored and trolling for attention, but AWD not green ? You guys don't know what green means :

PZEV technologies

The Subaru Legacy PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicle) delivers all the legendary Subaru qualities - safety, reliability, high performance, a high level of refinement and confidence-inspiring Subaru symmetrical full-time AWD - combined with unique features designed to fight smog-forming emissions.

The catalytic converter features a finer honeycomb mesh to more effectively convert exhaust gases by neutralizing them through a chemical reaction. A charcoal filter in line with the engine air filter absorbs fuel and oil vapors that normally escape into the atmosphere when a typical engine is turned off. Special fuel injectors also reduce evaporative emissions when the car is at rest. And the ignition timing is adjusted automatically on start-up to heat the catalytic converter more quickly and ensure the emissions controls are working at peak efficiency at all times.

As a result of all this technology, the PZEV is the cleanest-running gasoline-powered vehicle on the market today. It emits zero evaporative emissions and meets California's Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (SULEV) tailpipe standard, which is 90% cleaner than the average new automobile. The Subaru Legacy PZEV is also SmartWayT certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for achieving strict, predetermined levels for fuel economy and tailpipe emissions. All this in a vehicle that doesn't cost any more for regular maintenance than a normal vehicle.

Green doesn't just mean fuel economy. Who cares that you do 60 MPG if you're emitting thick black smoke.

RWD ftw definitely!

but some people don't have the option to drive or own a rwd car. =/

Last edited:
those people driving rwd in winter are just show off..

you know damn well, you can't climb the cote des neiges hill when it is snowing 20cm. Your big ass is moving left and right and you're the one that is causing traffic.

You always give excuse that only happen twice a year... well thats too much to me. Or saying Traction control, even on the new bimmer, i saw this guy got stuck on doctor penfield hill... so STFU with that traction crap

I drive my fwd beater in winter and never got stuck. I had rwd in winter few years back, always got stuck in big hill, or got stuck in the middle of those sideway street that is never cleanup.

I can beg that those of you with rwd in winter are hiding behind you computer screen when there is a big snowstorm, that's why you never got stuck. After that the city had cleanup the road, then you drive your rwd car.

I keep my RWD in the summer and take my FWD beater in winter.

^ I drove mine today at the start of the storm and after clean up.. if you /need/ to get somewhere it may be a hassle, otherwise it was a pure blast for me.

Besides, it's not like I've never seen people with Audis or Subarus going 40 on the highway or 20 uphill because they're plain out scared of driving....

AWD is more than cool in super deep snow. On hardpacked snow and in long curves, not talking about most of the parking lot bullshit I usuaylly see videos of, a RWD will school an AWD big time. Most awd driver won't admit it until they have a real ride in a rwd. Then they understand... You just can't keep the throttle mashed THAT much in a AWD, it will throw you off course. That why Ken Block is constantly playing with the steering and hit the plywoods while going around the roundabout thing... RWD drifting > AWD drifting ANYTIME

Of course, you can't follow a awd with a rwd in like 8in of snow... And you are most likely to get stuck with a rwd. F1's are still RWD, right ?

those people driving rwd in winter are just show off..

you know damn well, you can't climb the cote des neiges hill when it is snowing 20cm. Your big ass is moving left and right and you're the one that is causing traffic.

You always give excuse that only happen twice a year... well thats too much to me. Or saying Traction control, even on the new bimmer, i saw this guy got stuck on doctor penfield hill... so STFU with that traction crap

I drive my fwd beater in winter and never got stuck. I had rwd in winter few years back, always got stuck in big hill, or got stuck in the middle of those sideway street that is never cleanup.

I can beg that those of you with rwd in winter are hiding behind you computer screen when there is a big snowstorm, that's why you never got stuck. After that the city had cleanup the road, then you drive your rwd car.

I keep my RWD in the summer and take my FWD beater in winter.

Someone is pissed because he can't drive?

Tires are the single most important factor for the situation you just described. A bmw has 50/50 weight distribution and most of them have lsd. So with good tires, you'll be going anywhere most fwd will, same amount of weight on the driven wheels and the only have the task of moving the vehicule foward and not diret it too, so all the tration thye have is used for a single purpose. I've been driving RWD since forever and whenever there's a snowstorm I pack my board head up north and usually take the back roads for extra fun. Never aused traffic or got stuck.

Someone is pissed because he can't drive?

Tires are the single most important factor for the situation you just described. A bmw has 50/50 weight distribution and most of them have lsd. So with good tires, you'll be going anywhere most fwd will, same amount of weight on the driven wheels and the only have the task of moving the vehicule foward and not diret it too, so all the tration thye have is used for a single purpose. I've been driving RWD since forever and whenever there's a snowstorm I pack my board head up north and usually take the back roads for extra fun. Never aused traffic or got stuck.

like i said, you can talk all you want.

let's put the same winter tire on two similar cars, rwd, fwd.
let's see who climb up the cote des neiges hill faster in 20cm deep snow like today.
you probably never took the cote des neiges hill, i take it everyday, how many times i see rwd fail on snowstorm.

i'm not saying rwd sux, or i can't drive... i'm saying it is not worth the hassle. why would i spend more money when i can get a cheaper fwd and it gets me around faster.
Most people that i know that drive rwd are just show off and wanna be. Trying to prove that they can drive better than anyone else.
And all those rich with bmw, mercedes etc... they all have house with big garage, so they dont even have to worry getting out of the snow.

just to give you an example, let say your car is in the middle of a hill.
Would you push or pull the car to get on the top of the hill.

hill = fwd > rwd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back