Reverse heel-toe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumply

I don't really know what it is, i don't have big feet or anything (size 10) but heel-toe braking in the traditional way (toes on brake, heal on accelerator) feels very strange and awkward for me, so much so that it detracts from my ability to concentrate on anything but the action. However, i feel very comfortable doing it in reverse (heel on brake, toe on accelerator). Are there any disadvantages to doing it like this? Should I just keep doing it the normal way until i get used to it?

Are your pedals close enough so you can brake with the ball of your foot and blip the trhottle with the side? Many of us use that method, and it's actually easier to perform in most cars. It seems that the "traditional" heel and toe only works if you're double-jointed or something :D

Most 3-pedal cars today allow for that, and if yours doesn't, wider pedal covers can do marvels to help accomplish this.

Your method is interesting, but I don't think the heel is a piece of the foot that is precise (or "gentle") enough to modulate the brakes properly.

I do it that way too... half of the foot on the brake and flip your foot
on the gaz. I wear 10.5 shoe, heel and toe is probably only good for
small japanese guys... the gaz pedal would be too short anyway.

Even than, if you watch those videos on youtube, they are not so good :
--> you need to maintain the same brake pressure while you blip the trottle.
Otherwise you end up locking the wheel and can't do a nice threshold braking.

On formula cars, the gaz pedal is bolted from the floor so heel and toe is
impossible... that's where I got my technique.

Try to put your foot higher on the brake pedal. That way, you will be able to roll your foot to blip the throttle.

That's the way i do.

Yeah, foot higher on the brake pedal is what works for me, and doing it under hard braking at first to get the feel.

When did you start practicing? It takes a while to get the feel, just like left foot braking.

You go to Abbott, no? When you take the 40 and take the exit to go around back to Chemin St-Marie, that's basically where I learned fully how to do it.

Approach in 5th from the highway at like 100 (or whatever you're comfortable at) and then go all the way down to second. (Don't release the clutch between blips!)

I would say stop doing it your way because you can't modulate the breaks. There's no need for fine accelerator control, but you need to control the brakes precisely.

And they don't heel toe in F1, lol, they only use the clutch to start.

That's what i was worried about, the heel of my foot not having the necessary finesse. I only started learning this technique about a week or two ago, that's why I'm asking I don't wanna develop bad habits. As far as for the right side blip left side brake technique, I've tried that and feel relatively comfortable, however I will try placing my braking foot a little higher and see if i can bend my foot that way. Thanks guys! :)

Just practice in the foot well with the car off for a while. And it takes a lot longer than you would expect to learn. Like a lot of things, for me it just clicked one day and everything felt right and I've been comfortable doing it ever since! Keep practicing!

Just use half your foot for braking and the other half for blipping the gas.

People worry about doing everything at once when learning.... The best thing to do is learn to downshift without the brake. With no traffic around go at 50 km/h or so in 3rd gear. Let go of the gas, put the clutch in, gear into 2nd, blip the gas, clutch out. Once you can smoothly do that every time start doing it with the brake, as well.

I did not say F1 lol...

In F1600 the pedal works from the bottom... and other open wheel stuff.

Je comprend pas sa sert a quoi cette technique la:( désolé de ma ''n00beness'' dans ce domaine:p

Je comprend pas sa sert a quoi cette technique la:( désolé de ma ''n00beness'' dans ce domaine:p

When going down gears, if you just dump the clutch without matching the engine revs to the tranny revs your rear end can lock up and cause you to spin out, plus it's hugely stressful on your drivetrain doing so at 6000+ rpm.

Heel-toe allows you to rev-match downshift while braking. Simple as that.

j'ai un traction donc sa s'applique pas vraiment a moi que les roues d'en arriere barrent:p

et pour le stress, c'est assez rare je downshift en malade, c'est surtout metton de 5ieme en 4ieme pour depasser sur l'autoroute, donc sa s'applique vraiment pas a moi!

merci pour l'explication

L'idee cest de mettre en bonne vitesse AVANT le virage.
Une fois que tu a ralenti et que tu es dans le virage, cest pu le temps
de downshifter.

Cest AUSSI utile pour un traction qu'un propulsion pour etre rapide.

Bref, ca implique plus qu.on pense....

The best thing to do is learn to downshift without the brake.

Rule #1 is not to use the engine's to slowdown. As they say in most training courses: an engine costs more than brakes. Don't use it for scrubbing speed. Especially that on a track, where you try to stay fully on the gaz, as long as you can, and then brake hard. Because if you do as you mention, you just lost a few places.

When heel and toeing, the most crucial operation is to brake. Because if you don't, you'll hit the wall. While the right foot is hard on the brake, the left one depresses the clutch, then you blip the throttle with the heel or the edge of the right foot, and then release the clutch, srelease the brakes and back on the throttle. That last paragraph happens in two seconds... :bigup:

j'ai un traction donc sa s'applique pas vraiment a moi que les roues d'en arriere barrent:p

et pour le stress, c'est assez rare je downshift en malade, c'est surtout metton de 5ieme en 4ieme pour depasser sur l'autoroute, donc sa s'applique vraiment pas a moi!

merci pour l'explication

cest certain que sa sert a rien pour ma grand mere qui vas faire lepicerie .. mais pour un gars qui conduit sur une track .. que sa sois un AWD, FWD ou un RWD .. cest tres important

merci pour l'explication

Sur une traction, comme d'autre l'ont dit, c'est tout aussi important. OK, tu ne barreras pas les roue et ça ne te fera pas spinner, mais ça affecte la stabilité du véhicule, mais aussi, ça va carrement tuer tes supports de moteur et de transmission à la longue (et puis dans pas trop long, non plus...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back