Exhaust ticket but no tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinT

Today i got pulled over by two cops on foot..

They said my car was loud and was not legal..

I asked it was loud compared to what? i mean i can say a stock mustang is loud that doesnt justify a ticket?

He said its not stock so its Illegal..:bigup:

--------------

Aujourdhui je me suis faite arreter par deux polices qui marchait sur pied.

Ils on dit que mon char fesait trop de bruit et netais pas legal

J'ai demander cetais bruillant comparer de quoi? il a beins des chars dorigines qui font du bruit en masse!

Il a ensuite continuer par me dire que vue que cetais pas dorigine cetais illegal!!*blah*

------------------------------

From what i know, the only two laws against exhausts are

1. a car equipt qui a muffler that makes more noise than stock ( wich needs to be prooven by a decibilometre not by a set of ears):run:

2. and a car that is missin any key components (catalysers resonators mufflers ect)

***They both said the ticket was coming in the mail

& Can i contest this ticket easily? No photos were taken, and the didnt put there little mcdonalds straw up the exhaust..

Last edited:
as long as your exhaust is not stock, you can get a ticket.... and yes, i have gotten one before!! so i know! there's no way around this... if you drive a ferrari and the stock is super loud, you wont get a ticket cos its STOCK... if you modify any part of your exhaust, you risk getting a ticket EVEN if its not as loud as a ferrari or mustang or whatever.

Sorry about the two versions i wrote them up quick...

Anyways is this contestable? theres no law against changing parts.. only about making a louder noise that stock.. wich is ONLY proven by a decibilometre.. right?

& for the spec on the car its an 04 sti with a HKS TBE.. its a potatoe launcher so yes it does attract attention but is just hearing enough to justify a ticket?

The cops says to the other cop.. sa'd tu laire conforme sa? lautre: haha jpense pas..

this means without even knowing if its legal or not they are ready to give a ticket because it doesnt LOOK legal..

Im not sure about this.. contestable?

Video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0CVXFPjK0A]YouTube - HKS Carbon Ti on an STi[/ame]

unless it was realy stock..or like stock
it's not easy to win
the judge are more on the police side than on our side on this one
but it's not impossible

snd for the decibel yet it,s should be that way but it's not :cry:

Premièrement attend de recevoir le ticket,
Deuxièmement demande la divulgation de la preuve,
Troisièmement renseigne toi sur le forum, il y a des topics très détaillés sur le sujet
Finalement présente toi en court, garde tes propos simple et explique clairement pourquoi ton exhaust est légal.

Tout les exhausts aftermarket sont légal au niveau de la fabriquation. Tant que tout les éléments sont présents (muffler, résonnateur, catalyseur), qu'il n'y a pas de fuites et que tout est solidement fixé, c'est légal (article 91).

Le seul point qui pourrait ne pas être légal est au niveau du bruit (article 94), mais puisque cet article est subjectif et n'est pas mesuré par les policiers, c'est facile de semer le doute dans la tête du juge. Après tout, c'est au policier de prover hors de tout doute que ton exhaust augmente le bruit par rapport au véhicule d'origine.

Encore une fois, cherche sur le forum, ca a déjà été expliqué plein de fois comment se préparer pour aller en court.

subaru's sound so rough.... you will get a ticket for sure, they were 100% right... that thing is loud!

Pay up!

Today i got pulled over by two cops on foot..

They said my car was loud and was not legal..

I asked it was loud compared to what? i mean i can say a stock mustang is loud that doesnt justify a ticket?

He said its not stock so its Illegal..:bigup:

--------------

Aujourdhui je me suis faite arreter par deux polices qui marchait sur pied.

Ils on dit que mon char fesait trop de bruit et netais pas legal

J'ai demander cetais bruillant comparer de quoi? il a beins des chars dorigines qui font du bruit en masse!

Il a ensuite continuer par me dire que vue que cetais pas dorigine cetais illegal!!*blah*

------------------------------

From what i know, the only two laws against exhausts are

1. a car equipt qui a muffler that makes more noise than stock ( wich needs to be prooven by a decibilometre not by a set of ears):run:

2. and a car that is missin any key components (catalysers resonators mufflers ect)

***They both said the ticket was coming in the mail

& Can i contest this ticket easily? No photos were taken, and the didnt put there little mcdonalds straw up the exhaust..

Contest and say you have the stock exhaust system. They're not gonna come back to check it.

Best you can do in the future is have the stock muffler tip, that way they can't say if its stock or not.

yaye lets go lie to a judge they might not check
and if they do so just say:

<<hey Mat128 on MR said it was all chill. Actually he said that on the 36 post he ever did in 2 years>>

those cops are funny, they know that they can't touch your car with a stick which is why they never send you for an inspection. Its just a ticket. My buddies and i have gotten tickets for suspension, tints and other stuff like that and was sent for an inspection but not for exhausts. Sorry about the ticket though, i have gotten use to pushing in the clutch when i see a cop and going slow. Depending on the car, you can always put a smaller tip. Works for me.

UPDATE:

I got ANOTHER ticket the day after...

Can they do this? they dont even give me time lets say to "replace" my exhaust..

They nailed me the day after, i explained i got a ticket the day prior..

The cop said "proove it" i told him it was coming by mail..

end result.. im getting another ticket IN THE MAIL..

UPDATE:

I got ANOTHER ticket the day after...

Can they do this? they dont even give me time lets say to "replace" my exhaust..

They nailed me the day after, i explained i got a ticket the day prior..

The cop said "proove it" i told him it was coming by mail..

end result.. im getting another ticket IN THE MAIL..

what's the deal with the mail thing ??
it's like he knew that you couldn.t prove it..

and yes they can do this...
we talked about that in a earlyer tread
even if you had confirmation of saaq convernement and all judge in your area that your system is legal
if the cop think's it's illegal he can give you a ticket every days of the week

until the day that you cleary say to him that the system is legal and that you formely advice him...and if he does indeed give you a ticket he will be prosecuted for giving a ticket even for knowing it was not illegal (it's a deontologie thing):yikes:

what's the deal with the mail thing ??
it's like he knew that you couldn.t prove it..

and yes they can do this...
we talked about that in a earlyer tread
even if you had confirmation of saaq convernement and all judge in your area that your system is legal
if the cop think's it's illegal he can give you a ticket every days of the week

until the day that you cleary say to him that the system is legal and that you formely advice him...and if he does indeed give you a ticket he will be prosecuted for giving a ticket even for knowing it was not illegal (it's a deontologie thing):yikes:

Proof that an offense has been commited on an earlier date does not constitute a legal defence to the continuation of that offence...

The fact you had a ticket for an illegal exhaust on 09/05/28 doesn't make your exhaust any more legal the next day.

If anything that shows there might be a problem if you get pulled over twice in two days for the same issue dont you think?

If I pull you over for speeding going westbound, and that you get caught speeding on the same (or next) day going eastbound by another officer on your way back, would you try to get out of it by saying you already got caught today so you shouldn't get nailed again?

Even if you were found not guilty in court of that offence on an earlier date, how exactly does that prove that your exhaust system, as it is seen/heard today is the same as when you were acquited? It doesn't. You could've replaced/modified your exhaust the next day.

Sorry to say, but whenever people feel like they're about to get in trouble, a lot of them start lying. If we had to go with what the offender says as the only basis for giving a ticket, then we'd never be able to issue one because so many people are full of shit...

We give tickets whenever we have reasonable grounds to believe an offence is commited. We'll let the judge sort this out if there are any issues.

There wouldn't be any grounds for deontologie in this case.

But how can a cop proove this is illegal.. The sti GENOME exhaust of the sti spec c is quite close in resemblence to a potatoe launcher.. aswell as it being free-flow STOCK..

apparently mazdaspeeds and srt-4's also come stock with free-flow exhaust.. so the fact that an exhaust is a free-flow cant be the reason for the ticket.. since stock cars come with them..

& just to mention the 2nd ticket was issued for me having a "free-flow" exhaust system

1st ticket was for it not being stock& too loud.. but too loud according to ears not a "db"

And since they didnt proove my exhaust is louder than stock (using a decibilometre) then they cant proove it really does make more noise than stock.. ears are not a valid sound mesuring device.. last time i checked anyway..

Any way i can get around these.. I mean if they were 100% correct i wouldnt think twice about paying them... it's just it seems they dont know what there giving a ticket for.. Like in that guys nick

"don't ask, its just illegal"

That exhaust is totally asking for it. It's dirty and loud as fuck.

Cops don't have to prove everything with tests to slap you with a ticket. Their testimony holds up just the same in most cases. If it's obvious, it's obvious.

Remove it or pay your tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back