Audi of America Boss Calls Chevy Volt "A Car for Idiots"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carbon footprint might be less.

Or more. What kind of recycling is done for the batteries? Those things are toxic.

And the cost to replace one? More than a few oil changes for sure....

There are a lot of good points being made here which makes it extremely hard to choose a side. Sure, an electric doesn't pollute other than maybe the extra energy taken to create the electricity it consumes, and costs less to run as far as gasoline and oil changes go. Then however there's the fact that the batteries need to be replaced and we have yet to come up with an environmentally sound way of recycling batteries so that'll definitely cause a problem with pollution. Then of course on the side of gasoline engines, there are the problems of pollution and foreign oil dependancy.

However I feel that we're getting closer to the solution. Attempts are being made more and more lately, it's only a matter of time before the most cost efficient and environmentally friendly solution comes up.

However I feel that we're getting closer to the solution. Attempts are being made more and more lately, it's only a matter of time before the most cost efficient and environmentally friendly solution comes up.

Let's be honest here, with our current climate shift, a somewhat unstable economy, and a power struggle (war) for oil in the middle east, time is not on our side.

The biggest mistake committed was the lack of government involvement. Laws regarding fuel consumption should have been imposed years ago, well before Al Gore and the likes started making documentaries and such. This would have propelled research and development and our population, correction, culture, would be much more welcoming to these cars (let's face it, for some reason gas guzzlers appear much cooler for what ever reason).

We are currently at a grave disadvantage: diesel cars are extremely unpopular (in North American anyways), the evolution of regular fuel cars has probably peaked and I'd be surprised to see any advancements in fuel consumption, and our hybrids and electric vehicles are unpopular, ugly (for most), and lack maturity and development.

Sorry didn't mean to rant. In a nutshell, I think the volt will fail, same as the ev1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back