small block vs big block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknojnky

Is there a true and definite difference between the two? I'm looking around on the net and nothing is clear on the subject.

depends on what brand, generation, .... big blocks are just generaly bigger. Big block chevies flow better then small block chevies yes but comparing the flow on big block fords to small block fords...not so sure.

depends what your looking to do with the car....a big block is physically bigger than a small block.

so i wouldn't put one in a car that you would like to to take turns with..
but engine vs engine a big block with the excact same specs as a small block "should" run cooler and be more reliable, for the simple reason that the cylinder walls are further apart=less heat

Depends on what you are after and if weight is a major issue. My friends uncle has a nasty 63 Impala 4 door with a built big block. His car is a full interior car except has 2 racing seats in front. He ran a 10.03@132 I think on Sunday at Napierville. This is NA!!!!!! NO nitrous NO SC...ALL MOTOR in a 4 door beast!

Big blocks can make some insane power, but so can stroked small blocks. All depends on the application.

You V8 guys take everything so seriously :p I like small blocks because they don't weigh a lot and are compact.

If I had the choice my Camaro would be powered by an LS3 with injection.

You V8 guys take everything so seriously :p I like small blocks because they don't weigh a lot and are compact.

If I had the choice my Camaro would be powered by an LS3 with injection.

I don't like injection... It can make hp, yes.. but it will cost you a lot more compared to carb. And with a carb, you only need a screwdriver to tune it. No pc, no software

I don't like injection... It can make hp, yes.. but it will cost you a lot more compared to carb. And with a carb, you only need a screwdriver to tune it. No pc, no software

I'll be honest.. I don't understand anything about tuning carbs. I understand how they work and thats about it.

I have a Holley 750 on my Camaro, When I installed it the car ran great!,. I called my uncle to tell him the news that it was running fantastic!. My uncle grew up in the 70s around the drag racing circle and still has his T/A Super Duty. He wanted to come over to check out my install

He came over with a screw driver, opened the hood and turned some screws. Revved it, turned more screws. Moved the distributor around, turned more screws on the carb. We went for a drive and I floored it it. I was tossed back in my seat and the car was all over. I had this giant smile on my face, he on the other hand suggested we "tune" it more because he felt a hesitation in the upper ranges.

It was pretty wild.

I'll be honest.. I don't understand anything about tuning carbs. I understand how they work and thats about it.

I have a Holley 750 on my Camaro, When I installed it the car ran great!,. I called my uncle to tell him the news that it was running fantastic!. My uncle grew up in the 70s around the drag racing circle and still has his T/A Super Duty. He wanted to come over to check out my install

He came over with a screw driver, opened the hood and turned some screws. Revved it, turned more screws. Moved the distributor around, turned more screws on the carb. We went for a drive and I floored it it. I was tossed back in my seat and the car was all over. I had this giant smile on my face, he on the other hand suggested we "tune" it more because he felt a hesitation in the upper ranges.

It was pretty wild.

old school baby :bigup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back