iRacing... anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeness102

I was watching the Jetta TDI Cup races today and saw one of the major sponsors was iRacing. I checked it out online, and the gamers seem to like it, but I'm just curious if anyone in the lapping community has tried it? It seems like a lot of fun and it's endorsed by some big Nascar/Indy names, but money can always result in a good review...

Too expensive for me.

I play Live for Speed (NOT Need for Speed) and RFactor. Live for speed has better physics and a much better feel (the closest to actually driving a car on track) but RFactor has many mods that allow you to drive a real-life car on a real-life track. It could help learning your way around a racetrack beforehand, and makes things less "virtual" in a way.

I have a Logitech Momo force feedback wheel here, and a Logitech G25 in France. The G25 is awesome, buld quality is extremely impressive, but not all games/mods can take advantage of the 900 degrees of rotation. When it works, though, it really adds to the experience.

Jai jouer a Iracing pendant quelque mois .. cest vraiment tres reel, tu doit faire des setting pour ta voiture pour ameliorer tes temps pareille comme en vrai. mais ce nest pas donner !

[mrquote userid="55309" username="Shardik" forum="64" thread="681771" message="7143167" ] Is Mosport in yet ?

Yes, and I'm learning the track for next season![/mrquote]

The layout is easy to learn, but I don't know if there is any DATA gizmo that will get you ready for the elevation changes and the leap of faith you must do for some curves?

Dave...there is one way....
leap-of-faith-490x326.jpg

[mrquote userid="55309" username="Shardik" forum="64" thread="681771" message="7143167" ] Is Mosport in yet ?

Yes, and I'm learning the track for next season![/mrquote]
Great news. lotsa fun !
(as long as my wife doesn't leave me)

i disagreed with the costs of iracing when i first heard about it, with lfs and rfactor, why would i pay to race.

The best thing i can suggest is to try it for one month. its less than the cost of a single lapping session, or go kart outing, and you get a month of as much racing as you can handle. The competition is intense. I never thought id agree to pay monthly for a game, after trying it i realised two things, this is NOT a game, this is a serious tool for those that want to improve their driving and race in a proper competitive environment and the monthly fee does a great job of keeping out the idiots and people that would otherwise just screw around a ruin peoples races. I have no regrets on spending a small amount/ month for the most fun i could have at my house.

here is a link to a video i made from a league race of the monte-carlo ss at mosport. I qualified 2nd and finished 3rd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toZT233Z0xc

the level of accuracy of the tracks is surreal. It is identical to real life. Since everything is laser scanned you know its the way it should be. This is definately the best simulator available, be warned, since iracing i cannot play other racing games because they are all so obviously crap; either the track is wrong (laguna seca is notorious for being completely wrong in every other game ive ever tried), or the

Getting an adrenaline rush while waiting for the lights to turn green and racing the pack of real drivers into the first corner is always a huge rush.

here is a nice track comparison of brands hatch (coming soon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg1QNwPXmXU

again, my best advice is to try it, iRacing is NOT for everyone, but the lapping forum is the best place to find candidates.

What would you say re: iRacing vs. LFS in terms of physics and driving feel?

In the video, is the first view the actual driving view? My footwell is not in my field of vision when I drive for realz...

it all depends on the Field of View that you run and your monitors. also, have you ever driven a chevy monte carlo ss? the interior of all cars aren't the same.

the driving feel and physics is very good in live for speed, but iracings is definately a notch ahead. Not all cars are equal, and the pontiac solstice is probably the worst in terms of driving feel because it has power steering. Physics -> iracing all the way. They laser scan everything on the car, dismantle and weigh individual components so that the suspension geometry and weight distributions are all as accurate as possible. The clutch simulation is better in live for speed however.
here is a nice vid of the suspension of the skip barber at work (take a look half way through for the rear suspension which includes shock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK1FkwmvrDE

Where iracing really excels is the competition, people race clean, you NEVER get wreckers although accidents DO happen. The SR system promotes clean respectful driving and punishes wild out of control behaviour. Also they have an entire rulebook including Stewards who will review protest cases (just like real life, things happen on track that need resolution).

I have GTR2 and I was playing it a lot, driving the Mosport Track.

When I brought this up I was told the whole: There is no game that will be the same as driving the track or prepare you for driving the track...  This is true... to an extent.  In the game you will be driving a race prepped car with physics that will cause it to stick the the ground, and therefore you are not learning it realistically.

Now.. for Mosport... the Track layout is virtually identical, but let me tell you something the game did not give me...  the "omg omg omg omg omg that is steeeeeeeeep" for Turns 2 and Turns 4.  There really is nothing quite like it.  Just like watching on-board video footage doesn't give you the same feeling or perception of the height of those hills...  they are HIGH.

That being said.  You can use game to learn the lefts and rights, but you can't use them to learn how your car will react or how you will be driving your car on the track.

Have fun!

I have GTR2 and I was playing it a lot, driving the Mosport Track.

When I brought this up I was told the whole: There is no game that will be the same as driving the track or prepare you for driving the track...  This is true... to an extent.  In the game you will be driving a race prepped car with physics that will cause it to stick the the ground, and therefore you are not learning it realistically.

Now.. for Mosport... the Track layout is virtually identical, but let me tell you something the game did not give me...  the "omg omg omg omg omg that is steeeeeeeeep" for Turns 2 and Turns 4.  There really is nothing quite like it.  Just like watching on-board video footage doesn't give you the same feeling or perception of the height of those hills...  they are HIGH.

That being said.  You can use game to learn the lefts and rights, but you can't use them to learn how your car will react or how you will be driving your car on the track.

Have fun!

Mosport is pretty close in gtr-2, but its no where near iracing's version. Also you are right, you dont get a sense of G-force, but the rest of the skills required are the same. My first dozen times going through 2 and 4 at mosport i was holding my breath and holding on for dear life. keeping the car planted on the limit over those crests is no easy feat. The smallest error and your in the tire wall 10 times out of 10. You might not experience the g-forces, but it still scares the piss out of you.

Stephen.

you can get my last name from the stats of the most recent practice we did: the radical at mosport on 2009.12.26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back