How much TDi swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Blitz

How much would it cost me to swap a TD to TD, TD to TDI and TDI to TDI in an MK3 Golf/Jetta? All 3 swaps seperately.

This is just a question. I tried contacting VAG but they're oh so helpful idea of buying one already like that didn't really answer my question. It sounds like a somewhat straightforward swap to me so it shouldn't cost in the thousands but I'd like a price. At least a range to give me an idea.

Thanks,
Blitz

Sure I'll take this on.

Just buy an original TDi instead.

It's almost impossible to give an estimate for this kind of work. There's so many variables and unknowns when you're doing a motor swap (properly) that you have to have a relatively open budget, otherwise your car will never run properly. For example if the motor you're swapping in has 80 000KM, it would be wise to have the timing belt, waterpump, done, just to avoid having to do it 20K later. In that case, your swap just cost roughly 400$ MORE than the initial estimate. That's just one example, cause while re-installing everything, it's ALWAYS recommended to replace anything that is in average condition, so you may be looking at new drive axles, radiator, bushings, tie-rods, brakes, glow plugs, injection pump, glow plug harness, control arms, etc. Once the motor is up and running, it could flip codes for various sensors, driving up the costs again.

To be innacurate, an MK4 TDI swap into an MK3 needs wiring harness work, and custom intercooler and exhaust piping to adapt the manifold. Just wiring harness you're looking at about 5-10 hours roughly, plus if you get it done (and you should) by a top quality fabricator in stainless steel, you're looking at at least 700-800$ of custom piping if you go with a FMIC. Plus the labour to install the motor, and labour for testing (we always daily drive our swaps 3-5 days after the swap to insure that everything is tip top shape before handing the keys to the client). All that is essential to giving a properly running car back to the client and of course all that attention to detail is charged back to the client.

There are definetaly shops that will charge you a fixed rate, but beware of cut corners, you will likely have neverending issues with the car afterwards, and nobody else will be able to work on it cause they won't understand WTF is going under the hood because nothing is where it should be...

When doing an engine swap, i'ts better to do it yourself. If you pay someone to do it, it will be VERY expensive. But if you like mechanic and you are equiped to d it yourself, go for it!

BUT in this case, it will be better to sell your car and buy a Golf/Jetta TDI. The only reason to do an engine swap is if your car dont comes with the TD-TDI option or if it's a personalised car that you have spent a lot of cash on esthetic.

One million dollars!

dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

So with the holidays and all I didn't get to reply to this thread but I'm still out looking for a diesel and this question is still out there for me.

Sure I'll take this on.

Just buy an original TDi instead.

It's almost impossible to give an estimate for this kind of work. There's so many variables and unknowns when you're doing a motor swap (properly) that you have to have a relatively open budget, otherwise your car will never run properly. For example if the motor you're swapping in has 80 000KM, it would be wise to have the timing belt, waterpump, done, just to avoid having to do it 20K later. In that case, your swap just cost roughly 400$ MORE than the initial estimate. That's just one example, cause while re-installing everything, it's ALWAYS recommended to replace anything that is in average condition, so you may be looking at new drive axles, radiator, bushings, tie-rods, brakes, glow plugs, injection pump, glow plug harness, control arms, etc. Once the motor is up and running, it could flip codes for various sensors, driving up the costs again.

To be innacurate, an MK4 TDI swap into an MK3 needs wiring harness work, and custom intercooler and exhaust piping to adapt the manifold. Just wiring harness you're looking at about 5-10 hours roughly, plus if you get it done (and you should) by a top quality fabricator in stainless steel, you're looking at at least 700-800$ of custom piping if you go with a FMIC. Plus the labour to install the motor, and labour for testing (we always daily drive our swaps 3-5 days after the swap to insure that everything is tip top shape before handing the keys to the client). All that is essential to giving a properly running car back to the client and of course all that attention to detail is charged back to the client.

There are definetaly shops that will charge you a fixed rate, but beware of cut corners, you will likely have neverending issues with the car afterwards, and nobody else will be able to work on it cause they won't understand WTF is going under the hood because nothing is where it should be...

Well thanks, that's more like the kind I was hoping for!

But to correct you, I never talked about an MK4 TDi swap. Mid 97's MK3 until 1999 had the TDi (AHU I think?) so, unless I'm mistaken, I don't see what kind of modification or special work the car would need. It should just be a somewhat 'conventional' engine replacement. I know that when swaping engines you kind of overhaul the one you're about to put in but that is for a proper job.

Basically, I'm thinking of getting high mileage MK3's diesels and I would like a price quote in the eventuality that the engine would quit because it's done for. Without factoring in if it's worth it, the condition of the car and such (obviously it'd depend on the car I have on hand) but I'd like to know my different options for different cases.

By TD to TD I meant replacing a TD engine in a pre-'97 MK3 with another TD engine. Same with the TDi in the MK3's. No modification, no working around. Just a straightforward engine swap, literally. I'm talking only of an already diesel car. I am not looking to swap in a diesel engine in a gas car, at all.
Any ideas how much that would be? Am I good to think that 10 hours or less is reasonable?

Without seeing the car in question and the engine in question NO ONE in his right mind would give a fix quote out.

Most TDs with high mileage have the crank pulley issue. Most TDs have high mileage, since most people buy a diesel because they do lots of mileage. This usually means that by most cases your car and your donor engine (if you do find a TD with a straigth crank) will have their share of seized bolts and non-original fixes.

Does your donor TD come with an Injection pump? Since it`s a rather high value item, that tends to breaks most engine won`t have it. Then you have to swap over yours, timin belt job... couple more bucks there. Donor engine and tranny or you keep your tranny? Once the engine and tranny are apart, the crank seal is probably leaking so you`ll want to replace that, couple more bucks and what about the clutch? Turbo? Etc...

Plus for the price difference between a poor shape TD and OK shape mk3 TDI, do yourself a favor, save for another month and buy the btter car right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back