Car of the Month: May 2010 - 2002 Volvo V70 T5

Status
Not open for further replies.

T5shortblock

may2010.jpg

2002 Volvo V70 T5

Photos: Lucas Nowacki, Sebastien D'Amour

Ce véhicule a été posté par T5shortblock en Octobre 2009 dans la section voitures des Membres. Récemment, quelques photos ont été affichés du projet terminé et nous l'avons tellement aimé que nous avons décidé de le faire notre première voiture du mois officielle de 2010.

This vehicle was first posted by T5shortblock back in October 2009 in this thread in the member rides section. Recently, some photos were posted of the completed project and we liked it so much that we decided to make it our first official feature car of 2010.

OWNER: Julien Pouliot (T5shortblock)

EXTERIOR
Blacked out grill

INTERIOR
Stock.

WHEELS & TIRES
CCW Classics 18x8.5 et40 all around
Nitto NT555 225/45R18

SUSPENSION ET BRAKES
KW V2 Coilovers
QBM End-links
QBM Strut bar inserts
QBM Lower tranny mount
Evolve upper engine torque mount
Viva stainless steel braided brake lines
Hawk ceramic pads
ATE Super blue brake fluid

UNDER THE HOOD
Stock internals, GT3071R turbo, custom exhaust manifold, Tial 38 mm wastegate, atmospheric dump, 3 inch downpipe and exhaust, Yonaka motorsport FMIC 24x9x3, custom 2.5 inch aluminium piping, Forged diverter valve, custome 4 inch intake pipe, Tapp Auto tune on stock computer (290 whp and 276 wheel torque @ 15 psi), 42 draft design oil catch can, moroso power steering tank, power steering cooler, Quaife ATB differential, Single mass flywheel conversion, Bully stage II clutch with ceramic/kevlar disc.

• ICE
barf.

Gallery photos:

From the thread in the Member rides section in Julien's own words:

I've been on MR for a couple of years, and I've been working on my project for almost as many years. It's not your tipical project car, but I like weird cars with an underdog status, and whatever the car, when you start with a wagon, underdog is an understatement.

I started my project with a pristine 2002 V70T5, i bought it from the original owner (my dad) back in November*2006 after he bought a V70R, I imediatly stored the car for winter and started to work on my objective; it*was to anhilate his ride in acceleration, handling and braking. Basically, transform a T5 in an R killer... Nothing like some healthy father/son competition :D

First part was horsepower; i ditched the stock microscopic mitsu TD-04 16T for a ball bearing GT3071R. Breathing was helped with a*3 inch d/p and exhaust, FMIC 2.5 with inch piping, custom exhaust manifold with Tial 38mm, and a custom 4inch intake. Tune was done by TAPP auto with the stock computer and some 630cc injectors for fuel support.

PICT0009net.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0022.jpg

PICT0060.jpg

PICT0019-1.jpg

PICT0115.jpg

seb_53.jpg

PICT0435.jpg

After removing the engine I discovered that my dual mass flywheel was a launch away from grenading on me so I made a 850 turbo single mass flywheel conversion with a custom 850R clutch from bully with a ceramic/kevlar core able to support well over 350whp.

PICT0030.jpg

The car put down 290whp and 276wheel torque at only 15psi. Now this is a stock block so I did not want to go balls out on the power, this is a very same*boost level with this size turbo and it will stay as is until I decide to beef up the rods and pistons. More power would only be to have fun in the street thow as this is pretty much the max power you want to have for a FWD that seas track duty.

Next step was the suspension, I opted with a set of KW V2 coilovers combined with a set of beefed up end links from quickbrick motorsports, I also swaped the rubber lines for some stainless steel braided brake lines, ATP super blue brake*fluid*and some Hawk ceramic Pads

PICT0019.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

I put the car threw a*few track days to see how these mods helped the general handling of the car and discovered that traction while exiting corners was very poor, in big part because of the open diff and FWD, I fixed this with a set of Falken Azenis in 245/45-R17 all around combined with a Quaiff ATB differential

PICT0159.jpg

PICT0163.jpg

PICT0404.jpg

PICT0408.jpg

PICT0403.jpg

I had the opportunity to have my car featured on swedespeed this past winter, it was quite the honor, I still have quite a few plans for this car as I'm very attached to it and don't plan on getting rid of it for the foreseable futur... next summer, I would like to get a set of wheels, light, and sick wheels ;)

PICT0025.jpg

http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publish/Features/article_1373.html

3458590598_a06c6338d6.jpg

3457804883_70522dac4f.jpg

PICT0387.jpg

The car is sick and don't worry about MR people reaction, they'll love it...

Most members here hate poked, stretched tires, cambered, slammed and in fact, stanced cars.

Looks good; I'm glad you like how it turned out!

Btw, what's the sticker in front of the T5?

I'm a fan of CCW's and don't like the stretched, mega camber look but I would have gone with a little less negative offset to bring them a little more flush and would have gone with a wider rear rim to get a staggered look.

Then again it's all about personal preference.

Did you order them from the states or locally?

malade
enfin quelqu'un qui decident de pas y aller avec une drop dangereuse, un offset degueulasse, du stretch de cave et du camber d'imbécile

bravo
definitivement une des plus belle Volvo que j'ai vu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back