Move from W.I. to NDG and car insurance goes up $40 a month? really? is this normal?

rollingsound

Guys I informed my insurer which I get through a broker that I was moving from the West Island to NDG. I get the papers in the mail today and they're jacking the rate by $40 a month. I told them I'm no longer using the car to commute to work, shouldn't that help? I understand threat of theft may be higher but come on... an EXTRA $480 a year? WTF is that shit, I'm already paying out the ass. Should I bother negotiating?

fuckers... ok then, I go through a broker, she's supposed to shop for my best rate anyway right?

any other broker suggestions
I'm 25, 2010 WRX, one accident in 2004, one theft in 2006

I'm on a purrdy tight budget and every bit helps lol

yes its normal. NDG is considered MTL Centre and its more expensive...more circulation, more risks, parrallell parking, etcetc

and you can't negociate insurance policies...if you don't accept you find another insurer

oh really ?

x2 on it being normal.

When I first got quoted for my 240SX, the address they had was a PO Box in Dorval, when I fixed to address to Snowdon (between NDG and CDN), the rates doubled.

By the way, if you can't afford your insurance, you can't afford the car. Maybe you should have picked a car that was a little less pricey.

x2 on it being normal.

When I first got quoted for my 240SX, the address they had was a PO Box in Dorval, when I fixed to address to Snowdon (between NDG and CDN), the rates doubled.

By the way, if you can't afford your insurance, you can't afford the car. Maybe you should have picked a car that was a little less pricey.

You're entirely right, I was living with mom and dad when I started my lease and thought that would continue to be my living situation until the end of the lease term next fall, but of course, life happens lol. Next car is going to probably be something like city golf etc.

Whatever I suppose I'll just call them up and see if they'll budge

I haggle with my insurance company every year. You can get better rates from them and you don't need to change the policy around.

fuckers... ok then, I go through a broker, she's supposed to shop for my best rate anyway right?

any other broker suggestions
I'm 25, 2010 WRX, one accident in 2004, one theft in 2006

I'm on a purrdy tight budget and every bit helps lol

I never understood why people use brokers, just another middleman that makes another cut on your policy and yes it is normal for your rate to rise if you moved from the posh WI to ghetto NDG !

often broker can get a better rate than acting directly with the insurance company, as they check everyone and come back with every quote to you

in fact my broker was able to find me a better insurance and i was paying less

often broker can get a better rate than acting directly with the insurance company, as they check everyone and come back with every quote to you

in fact my broker was able to find me a better insurance and i was paying less

So basically a broker does everything you dont have time?

where as if i wanted to, i could call all the insurance companies, get a quote and choose the least expensive ones and that would be doing what a broker does?

the broker is not only there for that, but also to help you make the best choice, as he can tell you waht are the advantages and disadvantages of each insurance police and company

I had a similar thing Happen.

I lived in NDG for 12 years. My Car was stolen twice while it was parked right in front of my house. This happened in two consecutive years at about the same month (march 2008, April 2009). My rates were going down every year even though I claimed for theft twice in two years.

In september 2009 after my renewal I moved to a residential area of Laval so you would think my rates would of gone down but no they actually went up! I asked them what the hell I'm actually moving from a place where my car was stolen twice to a safer area where I'll probably use my car even less and where I have reserved parking. Their answer was according to their computer the "risk factor" of the area was higher.. lol How can it be higher then where it was stolen twice in two years.

It's all a bunch of Bull Shit really.

I lived in NDG for 12 years. My Car was stolen twice while it was parked right in front of my house. This happened in two consecutive years at about the same month (march 2008, April 2009). My rates were going down every year even though I claimed for theft twice in two years.

In september 2009 after my renewal I moved to a residential area of Laval so you would think my rates would of gone down but no they actually went up! I asked them what the hell I'm actually moving from a place where my car was stolen twice to a safer area where I'll probably use my car even less and where I have reserved parking. Their answer was according to their computer the "risk factor" of the area was higher.. lol How can it be higher then where it was stolen twice in two years.

Agreed.

Well I'm going to need renters insurance so maybe I'll try and get a package deal or something. Do any of you guys have advice on renters insurance? Like what coverage to get, who to go with etc?

Laval is one of the worst places for car theft. All my cars that have been stolen or attempted have been in laval.
Just the other month they stole my Honda Emblem.
I know its residential but laval is getting worse with all these stupid kids all over the place.
Thats why your insurance went up.
I would suggest to shop around. I just changed to AXXA thru a broker that we deal with at work and he cut me down by half of what I was paying with La Capital.....

Back