Renters/Tenants insurance --- I know nothing! Please give me some good MR style tips

rollingsound

Ok so we are two tenants in a 3 bedroom duplex in NDG with a garage. I guess we need liability/fire/flood/theft ?? anything else? who should we go with? how much should it cost us around? any experiences?

Thanks guys!

that's about what you need
it will cost probably around $400-500 year
advice: check if you get a discount when combined with your car insurance

Usually, when it involves an apartment the owner insures the building, and each tenant insures its own belongings. I guess you two could get together, insure all your stuff and split the bill 50/50.

si vous etes 2 proprio a occuper les 2 logements tu prend la quantité de pied carré oqp par chacun des logements et tu etablie une prime au pied carré

ex: assuré le bloc complet = 700$

logement 1 = 1200pied carré

logement 2 = 800pied carré

total : 2000

700/2000 = .35$ /pied carré

1200 X .35 = 420$
800 X .35 = 280$

si jamais tu reste pas dedans, ca devien une propriété locative a revenu donc tu peux passer ton assurance dans tes depences

I'm insured in my apartment for fire/theft/flood and pretty much anything else for i think 35k worth of stuff and it cost me like 300 a year because i have my car with the same company. I'm currently with desjardins. you and your room mate should look at how much it would cost to replace all your stuff and use that as a basis of what coverage you'll need.
when you call they'll want to know:
- when the building was built,
-type of heating,
-how much jewelry you have (i only declared 1000$, i only have a ring and a necklace), -if you have a dog and if so what kind (if you have a rotty or pitbul dont declare it, they're considered high risk and they will refuse to cover for the dog)
-also if there is a fire hydrant within 300m of your dwelling.

Back