Pit bull put to death after N.D.G. attack

PhantomS4, I want to ask a question and I want to hear your own answer to it. All emotions aside, this question is being asked on a strictly factual level because, hoenstly, I don't have a set opinion on whether killing this dog was the right or the wrong thing to do.

So here goes... you say the dog needs rehabilitation because it was wrongly trained. Instead, it received a death sentence. Now, in many places, humans too are condemened to death for violent crimes. Should someone commit a violent crime and be sentenced to death, is that right? Can we constantly argue the person commited the violent crime as a result of terrible past experiences and that the person deserves rehabilitation rather than death? Can the human case and the dog case be directly compred with each other? Furthermore, I think you would agree that humans have free will and that, no matter what past experiences may have arose, each person is individually responsible for their actions. Should the same apply with a dog or not?

And now even more food for thought... what if we replaced the dog with another animal? Just as a reminder, here in North America, a dog is seen as a domestic animal while in other parts of the world, people eat dog meat. In North America, many people eat meat from pigs. Should a pig have gotten loose and stomped all over say a baby, should that pig be killed on the spot?

I'm sincerely asking these questions on a non-bias level here. I'm not a HUGE animal lover but I greatly appreciate others' pets nor could I say that I dislike animals in any way.

At no point did I state that this was the victim's fault in any way. I am in no way saying that this dog was not out of control. The human factor I speak of is the owner, the person that raised this dog.

And as to how much research Have I done about pitbulls and dogs in general. I have read 2 books on pitbulls and pit bull ownership, "American Pit Bull Terriers/American Staffordshire Terriers" By Joe Stahlkuppe and "Training your Pit Bull" by the same author. I have also read all 3 of Cesar Milan's books.

I also read the entire transcript of the Standing Committee of Legislative Assembly of Ontario when they had open hearings prior to the ban of APBTs and AmStaffs.
http://www.ontla.on.ca/committee-proceedings/transcripts/files_html/2005-01-24_M009.htm#P672_181318

In the section that the link will bring you to you will read (if you actually bother to do so) testimony from the president of the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association. He present evidence that no dog is more dangerous than any other and that the myths relating to APBTs is false.

So, I ask once again, what research have you done?

We did a few threads about this subjects and I don't want to search information that already been discussed many times, so I'll just paste the most recent thread on MR :

http://forums.montrealracing.com/showthread.php?t=650500&highlight=pittbull

The fun starts after the common bullshit of the first few pages where everything is so great in your little minds about everything and pittbull can lick butterflies blahblahblah when suddenly on page 5 you just shut the fuck up since somebody brought up a real fact.

ROFL. you should really inform yourself. http://www.pitbulls.org/ the only reason there are bad American Pit Bull Terriers is because of morons who don't know how to train a dog properly or because of people that want their dog to look tough and in doing so make themselves look tough. APBT's do have a tough look because they are short haired and very muscular. An APBT that is aggressive towards humans is completely against the breed's standard.

hahahahhaahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahaahaahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm just loling so hard at you defending the pitbull instead of black people.

Side note: I thought pitbulls were now illegal?

The pit bull that attacked a woman in NDG last week was euthanized on Monday. Amanda Gatti was bitten on the knee, shoulder and armpit on July 19 when she tried to shield her Jack Russell terrier, Puppy, from the pit bull. It had escaped from its yard and ran up the stairs to Gatti's apartment, chasing her dog.

Wow such a sad story... I still think the pit should have been taken away from the owner and NOT killed because it was unstable. Obviously this Amanda Gatti has no clue about dogs and probably even provoked the attack...

:(

How is this sad? You have a vicious fucking animal you're incapable of containing, you no longer get to keep said vicious fucking animal.

Le problème c'est que des imbéciles continuent de croire que les chiens sont intelligents et ont du jugement. Les pitbulls vont toujours être agressifs, j'hésiterais pas une seule seconde à exterminer cette race et leurs propriétaires.

I have a pitbull

you're an idiot

i have to say something honest about pitbulls it's not always the owner i used to have a rednose pitbull he came from a loving family there was me and my mother taking care of him with 2 other rottwielers in the house. When i would bring him out of the house on to the street he was a total different dog he would shake so bad to want to attack a bird squirell and especially other dogs. I knew there was nothing to do but put him down. I had him from a puppy until 2 years old. I couldnt of asked for a better dog in the house but outside he wasnt the same, i couldnt handle it nomore and before he did something wrong i had to put him down. :(

i have to say something honest about pitbulls it's not always the owner i used to have a rednose pitbull he came from a loving family there was me and my mother taking care of him with 2 other rottwielers in the house. When i would bring him out of the house on to the street he was a total different dog he would shake so bad to want to attack a bird squirell and especially other dogs. I knew there was nothing to do but put him down. I had him from a puppy until 2 years old. I couldnt of asked for a better dog in the house but outside he wasnt the same, i couldnt handle it nomore and before he did something wrong i had to put him down. :(

There you go, these dogs should not be domestic animals.
Weapons, yes. Family pets, no.

Pittbulls should be exterminated. There are 500 other dog breeds. Why do idiots choose the MOST risky one(s) and have them hang around kids?

I am sorry but that is irresponsible and stupid. Same thing goes for rottweillers. You want stats?

Numbers do not lie.

DOG ATTACKS Death and maiming US and Canada 1982 to 2006.
http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog Attacks 1982 to 2006 Clifton.pdf

The numbers speak for themselves. You have to be a complete moron to not accept the obvious. These dogs are dangerous no matter how they are raised or loved period.

I'm pretty sure it is not 90% of pitbull/rottweiler owners that are complete idiots and raise their dogs to BITE.
It is in their GENES. They are fking aggressive bastards with no common sense. They are just like cops and politicians hehehe

Any parent that exposes their children to such danger should not have the right to child custody. Parents should be sued by the state for negligence.

i'm a bad parent

k996ao.jpg

23sdhk7.jpg

take my son away

We did a few threads about this subjects and I don't want to search information that already been discussed many times, so I'll just paste the most recent thread on MR :

http://forums.montrealracing.com/showthread.php?t=650500&highlight=pittbull

The fun starts after the common bullshit of the first few pages where everything is so great in your little minds about everything and pittbull can lick butterflies blahblahblah when suddenly on page 5 you just shut the fuck up since somebody brought up a real fact.
I didn't have time to follow the thread closely at the time, no need to get upset.

The source of the statistics you posted is so unreliable and is not compiled from data taken from hospitals nor law enforcement. The editor plainly states in the first paragraph that the data was compilled from media arcticles, which is not the best source since medias publish what sells.

"Compiled by the editor of ANIMAL PEOPLE from press accounts since 1982, this table covers only attacks
by dogs of clearly identified breed type or ancestry, as designated by animal control officers or others with
evident expertise, who have been kept as pets."

Media bias towards pit bulls is extremely evident. I am still trying to find the link to an article i read 2 days ago, i will post it once i find it. the article stated that out of 4 dog attacks only one was widely reported. 3 of the attacks, performed by breed other that a pit bull got one article each in a newspaper, whereas the one pit bull attack was publish 230 times in national and international newspapers. the media has a big bias towards pit bulls, so any statistics based on that information is erroneous from the start.

And one question for you. If APBTs are so dangerous how come they have an 86% pass rate with the American Temperament Test Society? http://www.atts.org/stats1.html
This is very close to the Labrador Retriever's 92.3%( http://www.atts.org/stats5.html) and above the Golden Retriever's 84.6% (http://www.atts.org/stats4.html)

Have you read any of the information I posted or is the information that backs up your argument the only thing relevant to you? I did extensive research and reading about this breed before deciding to adopt one of my own.

And please, I have kept my writing polite in this thread, if you are addressing me, try to do so as well.

Last edited:
The dog is sick... needs rehabilitation not death sentence...

Why do so many of you say things without knowing the evolution or history of a subject? Do you think everything was invented 20 years ago and has lived in a vaccum like you do?

Pitbulls are an agressive dog breed, always have been. Have you ever wondered why they are called pitbulls? Because they were used to bring down bulls! This was a sport in 17th century England where an enraged bull was tied to a stake and the dogs had to bring it down. Sound crazy? Well the sport grew to include bears as well! These dogs were chosen specifically from farm dogs that were used a guard dogs for the farmers. Those farmers used these dogs to bring down wild bulls for breeding and for food.

The American pitbull is a descendant of these dogs that was cross bred with terriers to be better at dog fights.

Yes, they were bred to have an even and fairly calm temperment (they need to keep their cool in a fight), which is why they do not attack their handlers, but they are some of the most aggressive dogs known. It's in their nature and breeding, as humans have evolved these dogs from the most aggressive breeds they could find.

FYI: during the dog fighting era, dogs that attacked the ref were immediatly killed.

So lets say because i fought my pitbull breed it with another pit that is a non fighting pitbull the pups would have a 50 50 chance of wanting to fight? Your all a bunch of retards. That's like saying my dad is a murderer murdering is in my blood.

know someone who had a female red nose for 13 yrs, dog never barked at anyone. not even put on a menacing look. the house sometimes filled with little kids including his niece and nothing ever happened. hell even with two litters of a total of 9 pitts. nothing.

ppl who call for murder are mostly likely ppl who are scare of a bark from any dog.

Why do so many of you say things without knowing the evolution or history of a subject? Do you think everything was invented 20 years ago and has lived in a vaccum like you do?

Pitbulls are an agressive dog breed, always have been. Have you ever wondered why they are called pitbulls? Because they were used to bring down bulls! This was a sport in 17th century England where an enraged bull was tied to a stake and the dogs had to bring it down. Sound crazy? Well the sport grew to include bears as well! These dogs were chosen specifically from farm dogs that were used a guard dogs for the farmers. Those farmers used these dogs to bring down wild bulls for breeding and for food.

The American pitbull is a descendant of these dogs that was cross bred with terriers to be better at dog fights.

Yes, they were bred to have an even and fairly calm temperment (they need to keep their cool in a fight), which is why they do not attack their handlers, but they are some of the most aggressive dogs known. It's in their nature and breeding, as humans have evolved these dogs from the most aggressive breeds they could find.

FYI: during the dog fighting era, dogs that attacked the ref were immediatly killed.

I will not refute the history of the pit bull. People confused animal and human aggression very often. A dog that has dog aggression problems does not mean it has human aggression towards humans. Pit Bulls were bred to have no human aggression back in the days when dog fighting was legal. If you look at the history of many breeds of dogs you will often find some sort of hunting or aggressive past. Neapolitan Mastiffs, argued as one of the oldest pure breeds, were once used as war dogs by the Roman armies, having leather harnesses with long blades attached to run under enemy horses and disembowel them. The dogs were then bred to be bigger and have looser skin around their neck so that when an enemy dog would latch on it could still maneuver to bite back the opposing dog and kill it. If you look at all breeds of hounds they have a past of hunting in them, it was their sole reason for being. Any breed of retriever was bred to go retriever dead animals after it's master had shot them, usually birds. Most terrier breeds were bred to kill vermin and did so well because pf their tenacity and general toughness. Bulldogs were bred for bull baiting and bear baiting. Later bulldogs and terriers were mixed to give birth the the Pit Bull once bull baiting was made illegal and people turned to dog fighting.

Up until the past 20-30 years Pit Bulls were rarely used for guarding or protection because of their disposition towards humans. Aggression towards dogs and towards humans are two entirely different subjects.

Back