Pit bull put to death after N.D.G. attack

"After a sixth-grader was fatally mauled by at least one of his family's pit bulls"

"Denver banned pit bulls in 1989, after a minister was bitten 70 times and had both his legs broken in a pit bull attack"

"followed the fatal mauling of an Elbert County woman by three pit bulls"

From 1 news article dating back to 2005, pitbull attacks have been going on for a long time: http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=823394&page=1

From a different site:
quick question. how can reporters or law enforcement be sure the dog is a pitbull if many veterinarians have trouble identifying this breed?

i made a quick video of my pitbulls playing jumping around in the park it will be up soon and i think i'll keep updating with the way they act and react around people and other animals :)

here's the vid of my pits having fun i used a cellphone to recrd so quality is crappy but you get the idea of how mean they are :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f5lUNGuXes"]YouTube- brown and ginsen[/ame]

Is the light colored one mixed with a boxer?

Here's a couple of pics of mine ill try to take a vid too theyre nice btw *tu*!

IMG_2342.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

She's really small,a bit taller than my computer screen(she climbed on the desk 2 mins ago,took pics but they sucked).2 y.o.,the second owner strangled her and left her on the floor convulsating.

Temperament is not the issue, nor is it even relevant. What is relevant is actuarial risk. If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed—and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price."[44]

[edit] Fatalities reported in the United States (2005–2009)
Main article: List of people killed by dogs in the United States
The following table summarizes the number of pit bull-related fatalities in the United States from 2005–2009 as reported by news organizations:

Dog Bite-related Fatalities in the United States.[45] Year Total Involving pit bull-type dogs
2005 28 17 (61%)
2006 29 15 (51%)
2007 34 18 (53%)
2008 23 15 (65%)
2009 30 14 (47%)

Where did you find information about veterinarians having trouble identifying PitBulls?

I`ll give you an example my dog is a cattle dog mixed with rottweiler both pure bred. One vet kept insisting that she was a pit bull however I have met both the parents. Not all dogs that look like a pit are a pit. Mixed boxers often end up mixed up as well as various other dogs

Temperament is not the issue, nor is it even relevant. What is relevant is actuarial risk. If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed—and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price."[44]

[edit] Fatalities reported in the United States (2005–2009)
Main article: List of people killed by dogs in the United States
The following table summarizes the number of pit bull-related fatalities in the United States from 2005–2009 as reported by news organizations:

Dog Bite-related Fatalities in the United States.[45] Year Total Involving pit bull-type dogs
2005 28 17 (61%)
2006 29 15 (51%)
2007 34 18 (53%)
2008 23 15 (65%)
2009 30 14 (47%)

Please, enlighten me as to how temperament is not an issue? do you know what temperament even means?

Norma Bennett Woolf (Dog Owner’s Guide), describes temperament as “the general attitude a dog has towards other animals and people.” She continues “Temperament is inherited but can be modified or enhanced by the environment.”

So if APBTs have an 86% pass rate, that means that 86% have suitable temperaments.

Here is a direct quote for the centers for disease control in the US in regards to your stats.

he latest CDC "Dog Bite: Fact Sheet" includes a disclaimer regarding this study, saying that

"it does not identify specific breeds that are most likely to bite or kill, and thus is not appropriate for policy-making decisions related to the topic. Each year, 4.7 million Americans are bitten by dogs. These bites result in approximately 16 fatalities; about 0.0002 percent of the total number of people bitten. These relatively few fatalities offer the only available information about breeds involved in dog bites. There is currently no accurate way to identify the number of dogs of a particular breed, and consequently no measure to determine which breeds are more likely to bite or kill."[37]

This is also relevant to this subject, showing once again that it is the way the dog was raised and not the breed of the dog that is the defining factor in it's behavior.
Karen Delise, Founder and Director of Research, has been investigating fatal dog attacks since 1990. She is the author of two books, Fatal Dog Attacks: The Stories Behind the Statistics and The Pit Bull Placebo: The Media Myths and Politics of Canine Aggression.[38][1] Her data set extends back to the 19th century. Delise refuses to rely only on news accounts, as she and other researchers have found them to be untrustworthy, in and of themselves.[39][2] Rather, she has obtained official documents whenever they are available. She has interviewed police investigators, animal control officers and, medical examiners.[40][3] According to her results, the overwhelming majority of dogs involved in human fatalities, irrespective of breed or type, were not dogs which had been afforded the opportunity to interact with humans on a daily basis and in positive and humane ways. They were dogs obtained and kept as other than pets. Most were also poorly managed and controlled.[41][4] Any single-vector study of serious and fatal attacks will overlook the critical circumstances in these incidents that have remained constant over the decades, even as the breeds identified in attacks have changed.

Also, have you read any of the links I have posted?

Please, enlighten me as to how temperament is not an issue? do you know what temperament even means?

Also, have you read any of the links I have posted?

I'm sorry, I forgot to copy the author of the text, which is Mr. Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People News. I think he does know. Do you?

Also, I didn't read your links. Why should I? Your not listening to simple arguments and you are not answering but only deviate on other things which are surely debatable. We had that debate more than once. I don't have time.

Now... if you don't want to listen to animal experts, I don't expect you would listen to anybody. You are lost for your dog, and you don't care for logic, nor others. Your dog is hot, and thats all that matters.

Pure logics... and I will put it as simple as I can. You have 500 breads available. From a bunny to an M1 tank. Everybody has bad moments. When the bunny has a bad day, he wont hurt anybody... If the M1 Tank has a slight bad day, hell's breaks loose.

It's A RISK factor.

I'm sorry, I forgot to copy the author of the text, which is Mr. Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People News. I think he does know. Do you?

Also, I didn't read your links. Why should I? Your not listening to simple arguments and you are not answering but only deviate on other things which are surely debatable. We had that debate more than once. I don't have time.

Now... if you don't want to listen to animal experts, I don't expect you would listen to anybody. You are lost for your dog, and you don't care for logic, nor others. Your dog is hot, and thats all that matters.

Pure logics... and I will put it as simple as I can. You have 500 breads available. From a bunny to an M1 tank. Everybody has bad moments. When the bunny has a bad day, he wont hurt anybody... If the M1 Tank has a slight bad day, hell's breaks loose.

It's A RISK factor.

Ca c'est clair sans le moindre doute,mais il y en a qui méritent quand même de vivre..

Pas quand il y a des enfants autour. Des enfants c'est innocent, naif et impuissant. Ton rôle en tant que parent est de le protéger et veiller à sa sécurité ainsi qu'à ce qu'il y a aille le moins de risques (inutiles) possible dans la maison familiale.

Avoir un chien comme ça autour des enfants est un risque inutile et c'est irresponsable. Dommage que ce n'est pas criminel. J'ai hate.

Ca me fait rire les comparaisons, des chars fous, blablbal
On parle de kids. On choisit pour nos kids jusqu'à temps qu'ils soient en âge d'avoir assez de jugement pour faire de bons choix. Si tu choisis en tant qu'adulte de rouler à 300 km/h, tu peux ben le faire, tant que tu l'imposes pas sur ton kid.

C'est ÇA l'enjeu. Pas l'asti de pittbul ou rottweiler. LE KID. C'est pas safe pour le kid, peu importe ce que tu veux me faire croire sur ton supposé gros nounours que tu as acheté pour TOI, pas ton kid.

Encore, mon problème n'est pas avec le chien, mais bien de l'avoir près d'un enfant. C'est un RISQUE qu'on impose sur un enfant.

En tant que parent risquer quoi que ce soit quand on parle de ses enfants, c'est cave en asti. Common sense.

On another note, my friend just got mauled by a sausage dog (or however you call them) lolll

It's A RISK factor.

How can you say that I don't want to listen to animal experts if you haven't even taken the time to read the sources I posted? In one source I posted there is direct transcript from a government hearing with Dr. Zaharchuk president of the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association, an association that represents 3000 veterinarians. The American Veterinary Medical association finds the idea of of any breed of dog being born viscious as absurd and that association represents 80,000 vets. you read that right, eighty thousand.

i have read your posts and the links that go with them and so far as I can tell all your information comes from on article by the same author. just because you turn a blind eye to information that has been posted by someone else does not mean it doesn't exist.

How can you say that I don't want to listen to animal experts if you haven't even taken the time to read the sources I posted? In one source I posted there is direct transcript from a government hearing with Dr. Zaharchuk president of the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association, an association that represents 3000 veterinarians. The American Veterinary Medical association finds the idea of of any breed of dog being born viscious as absurd and that association represents 80,000 vets. you read that right, eighty thousand.

i have read your posts and the links that go with them and so far as I can tell all your information comes from on article by the same author. just because you turn a blind eye to information that has been posted by someone else does not mean it doesn't exist.

Again, you don't answer to the simple arguments I wrote. Pointless.

Again, you don't answer to the simple arguments I wrote. Pointless.

And how are you answering my arguments? I have posted lots of information and sources so far in my responses, which you do not seem to want to read and all I seem to hear from you is opinion and far fetched comparisons to battle tanks and rabbits.

One thing a lot of people dont seem to realize when getting a dog is that some breeds are very high energy, such as an APBT, and require lots of exercise and proper training. i got an APBT because it is an athletic dog that is very loyal to it's master and extremely affectionate. People that do not properly exercise and socially a very high energy dog are asking for disaster since a lot of frustration can build in any high energy dog. a lot of people are simply unfit to own APBTs. Is it the fault of the dog? No. Just like it's not the fault of a child if they are brought up in an abusive and neglectful home. This is what people on the "fuck pitbulls" side of the argument dont seem to want to listen to.

It's late, off to bed I go.

And how are you answering my arguments? I have posted lots of information and sources so far in my responses, which you do not seem to want to read and all I seem to hear from you is opinion and far fetched comparisons to battle tanks and rabbits.

I'm sorry you are too dumb to comprehend my analogy. Jeez I though a first grader was able to get it, thats why I used "tanks" and "bunnies" .

Back