My 2nd trip to Chernobyl and Prypiat...Major update with 130+ pictures + Video post#4

tip-c

For those of you who remember, I had went to Chernobyl 2 years ago and posted some pics here on MR. Many people took great interest in the thread and the topic to the point where, two years later I still get PMs asking me about my trip and pictures.

It seems I went back this year and took more pictures for your viewing pleasure. Thanks to the positive feedback I got last time around, I decided to post them again.

For those that do not know, Chernobyl is the site of the 1986 nuclear disaster in Ukraine. Prypiat is the city 4KM away. This is all explained in my first thread...if you have not seen it, here is the link: http://montrealracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583423&highlight=chernobyl

The old thread has a lot of information about radiation, the accident, the region, etc...If you have not read it, i think its worth taking a look at.

Anyways...This time I had the entire day to walk around the city. I explored many building including some that I had been asked about in the last thread (ie the swimming pool which was made popular by Call of Duty and other games).

I am also planning to go back next year to stay there over night! :run:

Finally as a BONUS, I will post pictures taken by a friend. He is in love with the place and has been there more than a dozen times. He is somewhat a professional photographer and the pictures he takes are taken with a Mamiya rb 67. For those that do not know photography it is a film camera that is fully manual. Every setting has to be adjusted by hand. Exposure is determined using a handheld light meter. A roll of film for this camera has between 8-12 shots depending on the size of the film and the resolution is simply astounding.

I really have to give this guy credit. First of all for the great pictures he takes and secondly for his help in getting me in the zone.
His name is Dimitrij Shkvarchenko (Дмитрий Шкварченко)
His website: http://schkwara.io.ua/
More of his work: http://schkwara.io.ua/album

If you have any questions about the pictures or the trip, feel free to ask.

PS: If anybody wants, for a desktop background or something, both mine and Dimitrij's pictures are available in high resolution. Just let me know...

Enjoy:

Reactor in the Distance:
1.jpg

This road leads to Bielorussia:
2.jpg

The closest point you can get to the reactor without needing authorization from some very highly ranked military officials. Armed guard sits in the booth at the gate!
3.jpg

4.jpg

City Center. View from the ground:
5.jpg

General Purpose building. It has a movie theater inside. I went it, its really insane but was much to dark to try and take pictures without a tripod, which i did not have handy.The City's Hotel.
6.jpg

The City's Hotel.
7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

This is some sort of electrical control room in one of the buildings. Door says: No Trespassing. Live Current. Dangerous for life!
12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

The Hotel's Kitchen:
18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Hotel Lobby...lool really doesn't look like much
21.jpg

Hotel Elevators
22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Funny story, apparently this guy is now dubbed one of the X-Mens...The name given to him is "The electrical plug" because of the electrical wire sticking out of his eyes.
27.jpg

28.jpg

This is inside the general purpose building that I mentioned above.
29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

Dmitri Ivanovich Mendeleev: credited as being the creator of the first version of the periodic table of elements.

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

In case of fire call 9-01
44.jpg

45.jpg

Behind this is the movie theater. It is accessed by the lower floor.
46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

The remains of a grocery store...The blue signs indicate what products are in every isle, just like we have here.
53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

Little girl crying:
57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

A guy doing graffiti behind the movie theater.
66.jpg

walking up the stairs...the doors lead to walkways along the ceiling of the movie theater.
67.jpg

Dosimeter or geiger counter, what ever you want to call it...showing about 20 millirads/hr
68.jpg

69.jpg

The entire dosimeter
70.jpg

Ahhh, the famous ferris wheel.
71.jpg

72.jpg

Measuring radiation once again...
73.jpg

Showing about 50 rads per hour.

Notice in the other picture, the dosimeter was set to a multiplying factor of X0.1. At this setting, it goes of the chart so we bump it up to X1 and it shows about 50.

74.jpg

75.jpg

The bumper cars. Highly Radioactive!
76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

81.jpg

82.jpg

83.jpg

84.jpg

This is an interesting building...were going inside. Its a sports complex!
85.jpg

What remains of a basket ball court. I didn't even know they play basket ball back in the soviet union lol
86.jpg

87.jpg

88.jpg

April 21
89.jpg

90.jpg

91.jpg

Finally, the famous swimming pool. The took out the steps to get on the diving board so that no one does anything stupid. You can still however get on it through a metal walk way that goes around. You can barely see it, it goes along where the windows are at the height of the highest diving board. You see it better on the next picture.
92.jpg

I didn't take a picture of the deep end of the pool, but I can assure you that if you by chance slip down, there is no way you are getting out with out someones help. Its just impossible. The angle of the transition wall between the shallow and deep part is about 60 deg. you can't just run up...
93.jpg

there are about 7-8 sea mines drawn in the pool area. The girl is fishing for one of them!
94.jpg

95.jpg

Entrance to the Gymnasium
96.jpg

97.jpg

Women's shower...
98.jpg

99.jpg

Last edited:
100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

You might remember the picture of the little girl from the old thread...I felt i needed to help her finally call the elevator, its been two freakin years she's been reaching for that button and hasn't grown an inch ;)
113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

The room of the hotel...
124.jpg

The graffiti here is a mother with her child. The child is crying and the mother closes her eyes and blocks her ears. Notice, lower left corner, in green letters. I did cut a bit of it off but it says: "Don't want to hear, Don't want to see..."
125.jpg

Roof of the hotel...Hotel spelled backwards.
126.jpg

127.jpg

View of the city center.
128.jpg

Last edited:
BONUS #2...I just remembered I had a video on my small digital camera.

Here is what the cooling channel looks like :)

You can spot a few giants amongst the smaller fish.

Last edited:
Sweet pics! Thanks for sharing. Always wanted to visit. I love abandoned places, especially historical site like this one. Followed your post 2 years ago as well.

Good stuff!

WOW! Great shots!

I also followed your original Post. (Geeze, I can not believe its already been 2 years since!!!)

Love to see more pics. Its interesting!*tu*

It is simply disturbing of how fast 2 years goes by, it seems like just yesterday I was gawking at your pics in the first thread..

thanks once again.

I remember your thread 2 years ago ( already :yikes: ) and this one is also really interesting.
Thank you!

J'adore les photos, environnements abandonnés et désuets, super le concept. Ça devrait être le prochain Fallout!

Wow, amazing pics. I find it funny that 'graffiti' in a deserted city is about 10x better / classy than the crap around Montreal.

It is simply disturbing of how fast 2 years goes by, it seems like just yesterday I was gawking at your pics in the first thread..

thanks once again.

Jesus christ I didn't realize his first thread was already 2 years ago...I remember it too lol

Beautiful pics! I'd love to go there someday

We'll need your comments on some photos worth of it. It's always great to learn the story behind the locations...

big *tu*

Ya combien de gens par année qui ont accès au site aussi libre que toi ??? Ca pas d'allure tu peux tout faire pratiquement ca doir être creepy à fond. Entends-tu des sons ou tout est super silencieux ? Et finalement... les gardes juste à coté du Reactor 4 sont pas en danger ? Sont proches en maudit.

REP !!!

Back