Dog Whisperer's pit bull banned from Ontario

PhantomS4

Cesar Millan isn't allowed to bring his trusted sidekick, Junior, into Ontario -- the Liberal government banned pit bulls five years ago, saying the breed was too dangerous.

"It was a very difficult decision," Attorney General Chris Bentley said Wednesday.

"I mean, I have a dog myself. She's part of the family. But we heard many complaints from the people in the province. ... So we had to take steps."

Millan, a celebrated canine trainer and host of the popular TV show "The Dog Whisperer," rehabilitates aggressive dogs -- often with Junior's help.

He shouldn't be denied his right-hand companion as he crosses Canada for a speaking tour, New Democrat Cheri DiNovo argued Wednesday in an open letter.

"So once again, a responsible owner is being discriminated against because of the physical appearance of his dog -- not the dog's behaviour, but his looks," she wrote.

DiNovo even appealed to Bentley's office to make an exception for Junior, a three-year-old certified therapy dog that Millan adopted as a puppy.

Ontario's ban only makes exceptions for pit bulls that participate in dog shows and flyball, a dog sport involving a race with hurdles and tennis balls.

But Bentley wouldn't budge, saying Junior is not welcome in Ontario.

"I really respect the work of Cesar Millan, the work that he does," he said.

"You know why we brought in the pit bull legislation. It was to protect people and protect dogs -- protect other people's pets."

The grey-and-white pit bull mix has accompanied the Dog Whisperer on all his Canadian shows except the ones in Ontario, said NDP spokeswoman Marion Nader.

Millan even advertised Junior's participation in the tour, calling him an "ambassador" who brings "calm and balance" to dogs who need rehabilitation.

Millan was concerned that Junior -- who often helps him calm aggressive dogs on his show -- would be seized by authorities if he brought him into the province, she said.

After a member of Millan's staff contacted the Ministry of the Attorney General, an official wrote back, saying it couldn't provide any legal advice.

"There have been numerous horrific incidents that have happened in Ontario and elsewhere, in which people have been killed or severely maimed by pit bulls," the letter states.

"The government decided that the interests of public safety would be best served by restricting pit bulls under the Dog Owners' Liability Act (DOLA) to prevent more attacks and bites from this breed."

The ban applies to breeds considered to be pit bulls, such as Staffordshire bull terriers, or any dog that looks like one of those breeds.

Millan has often espoused his belief that dogs are not inherently dangerous, saying it's humans who often influence their behaviour.

He even dedicated an episode of his television show to dispel myths about breeds that are considered to be particularly dangerous, showing some of the toughest cases he's encountered and how the dogs have turned over a new leaf.

Anyone going to see Cesar @ Centre Bell tonight ?? I hope Junior will be there!! :)
images

est ce que cest lui qui se fait basher par l assosiation des veterinaire en disais qui est violant de par ca facon dagir envers les animeau qu il traite ?

Ce gars la est quand même sévèrement critiqué de la part des vétérinaires. Selon eux, ses techniques de dressage infligent énormément de stress aux chiens. Avis à ceux intéressés, il sera au Centre Bell très bientôt.

est ce que cest lui qui se fait basher par l assosiation des veterinaire en disais qui est violant de par ca facon dagir envers les animeau qu il traite ?

J'ai entendu la meme chose mais c'est vraiment pas le cas avec Cesar. I would NEVER ask my vet questions on dog training anyways.

De dire qu'il est "violent" c'est trop. Il n'est pas violent, mais ces méthodes sont controversées car il utilise la méthode soumission/dominance et cette méthode est révolue pour plusieurs personnes.

Personnellement, j'ai longtemps écouté son émission et j'ai lu son livre. C'est un homme brillant qui comprend les chiens. Maintenant, nous avons suivi ses conseils et malheureusement, ça n'a pas bien fonctionné pour nous et ça l'a même agravé la situation.

Ceci dit, je ne considère pas qu'il a tord dans tout ce qu'il fait. Je crois qu,il y a une méthode différente selon le cas.

Si vous comparez ses premières émissions aux toutes dernières, il a changé sa méthode et elle se rapproche beaucoup des nouvelles méthodes (clicker et renforcement positif). Cependant, il base encore sa pensée du l'effet de dominé et dominant.

La DERNIÈRE chose que je ferais c'est de demander un avis comportemental à un vétérinaire. Laissons aux vétérinaires ce qu'ils connaissent, c'est-à-dire la santé physique du chien, et laissons aux entraîneurs/éducateurs ce qu'ils connaissent, la santé mentale du chien.

Is it really? Everyone seems to admit they are violent dogs BUT can be friendly when properly trained. Couldn't the same be applied to any wild animal? Does that mean whe should legalize Tigers since we have evidence of friendly tigers?

they have put in place a system which gives the OPP more power to give higher tickets and to impound the car... but then the car eventually gets released.

what about the dog... its not like they keep it for a week and give it back to you... all you get a corpse...

I understand the fear of certain people in regards to that race. Some dog owners are scared of pits but i believe that the image is much worst due to the media. They put so much emphasis on the wrong aspects.

Is it really? Everyone seems to admit they are violent dogs BUT can be friendly when properly trained. Couldn't the same be applied to any wild animal? Does that mean whe should legalize Tigers since we have evidence of friendly tigers?

You can't compare a dog with a tiger.....

Moi je suis entre les deux .. C'est vrai que c'est regretsble mais des fois quand je marche a cote Dun chien il se met a grogner me japper après comme si jetais dans son territoire calvert une chance que yetait attacher sinon y n'aurait sauter dessus

La DERNIÈRE chose que je ferais c'est de demander un avis comportemental à un vétérinaire. Laissons aux vétérinaires ce qu'ils connaissent, c'est-à-dire la santé physique du chien, et laissons aux entraîneurs/éducateurs ce qu'ils connaissent, la santé mentale du chien.

wow...

Est-tu certaine de ce que tu avances avec ton propos que les vétérinaires connaissent que la santé physique des animaux? En plus, n'importe quel plouc peut devenir éducateur/dresseur d'animal. Ce qui est loin d'être le cas avec un vétérinaire.

Back