Le Lowney lofts in Griffintown - your experiences?

passthatversace

I'm looking into purchasing a unit in phase 9 of Le Lowney and would greatly appreciate any insight you may have.

My main concerns are regarding a potentially (huge) increase in condo fee, the quality of the building, and my future neighbors.

However, any views and opinions surrounding the Lowney will be greatly welcomed :) I am also open to other suggestions for new developements off the island or in the suburbs.

General
-3 1/2, approx. 650 sq ft
-has indoor garage
-price including gst and pst = $270K
-unit only to be delivered in autumn 2012

I know 650 sq ft is very small, but I work closeby and I'm only planning on living there for 5-7 years max.

Condo fees
-currently priced at $0.25 per square ft (and thus $162.50/month)
-parking fees are $$55/month
-Thus, total condo fees = $217.50/month.

This is already really high, and the unfortunate reality is that I expect this rise given all the amenities available (indoor and outdoor pool, gym, sauna, urban chalet, etc). However, on the flip side, perhaps maybe condo fees will not rise as much as the amenities will be shared amongst the tenants of phases 8 through 11, and thus the cost will be more spread out. Any experiences from current tenants as to how much fees will rise? I also saw the thread that MOX started about the members of his CA demanding a salary, and am a bit freaked out.

Quality
Prevel has been around for over 30 years and is quite reputable. For both past and current tenants, how did your unit hold up in terms? Also, how was the sound insulation both from outside, and between units and floors? I heard that the Lowney is made with all concrete both inside and outside, with no wood construction whatsoever.

Neighbors
I know that the Lowney is mostly comprised of young professionals, but I have read horror stories on the official Lowney facebook page provided by tenants, about other tenants throwing chairs from the rooftop balcony onto the street, vandalizing the common areas, disgusting upkeep of the pool/sauna/hottub, etc. Anyone care to comment on this? Are the neighbors GENERALLY respectful?

Thanks to everyone in advance!!

Last edited:
Wow thats so expensive.. I bought a duplex for less than this.

I know its totally different but 650sqft is a joke.

^
I know it is expensive, but I feel like my options are limited in terms of living downtown and in close proximity to my work. I am aware that for that price, I can get a really nice townhouse in, for ex, the Dix-30 area in Brossard. However, I have explored OTHER options that fit my criteria (re: downtown living) - even going as far as the condos on Rene Levesque Boul Est. near Berri - and I don't find that the prices fluctuate that much. Also, the condos in that area are mostly made by Samcon and I am not sure about their quality (anyone want to add in their 2 cents?)

I guess this is the norm for downtown living.

I went to visit it with my gf a month back. The quality of construction is good, I know many of the sub contractors working there and their looking for good work, not cutting corners. I was looking into a unit of ~730 sqft, with garage. After taking everything into account, including, the who knows where i'll be, where ill be working in 2012, i decided to pass and wait.
For more info about the lowney lofts, go to a forum mtlurb.com
a lot of great info

Where do you work exactly?
What if driving 10min to work could save you 50g$ or get you 1000sqft?

Im not talking off the island but in a surrounding area.

Vitulla:

Thank you so much! To be absolutely honest with you, I am not 100% positive where I'll be working in 2012 either, but I am being optimistic in terms of being easily able to rent out or sell the unit should this arise.

Did you decide to pass on just the Lowney, or have you given up your entire condo hunt for the time being?

Where do you work exactly?
What if driving 10min to work could save you 50g$ or get you 1000sqft?

Im not talking off the island but in a surrounding area.

I work in the central business area around Place Ville Marie. I guess another factor driving my decision to purchase downtown as opposed to the suburbs is that it would be easier to sell in the future and I would still be able to command a higher premium

If you have other suggestions as developements I should look at, feel free! :)

I gave up on the whole condo idea. I have a business in the east end, and my gf is still in school. once she finds a job, we'll restart the looking.
I planned on buying to rent, but the rent wouldnt cover the costs. if you calculate your mortgage and condo fees, to what you could rent it for, it wasnt worth it. Now the area right now isnt the best. there is a lot of plans, and im pretty confident that it will be the next big area in montreal, but for the next 6-8 years of construction, that 6-8 years of noise at 7am, dust, constant detours etc. What im also pretty sure of is they are selling out but for the wrong reasons. people are buying them to flip and make a dollar, but what people dont realize is that they gonna have to hang on to them for quite a while to make some money, IMO anyways. I like the project, the area will be beautiful, the price is not bad considering where you are, its just the construction will be annoying for quite a while and no idea where ill be in 2 years

quand je regardais, j'ai fait le tour de tous les projets en ville. Pis le Lowney c'est quand meme le meilleur rapport qualité/prix. Nous on voulait 1100pc + et ils les ont cancellés pour faire deux unités de 600pc... et finalement je suis déménagé.

on aimait vraiment beaucoup le Louis Boheme mais il était quasiment tout vendu. Sinon c'était plus cher (comme au vieux montreal).. Par exemple, le M9 juste a coté du Lowney c'était ridicule les prix..

un autre projet plus loin mais moins cher c'est quartier54 (http://www.quartier54.com/) proche de la plaza st-hubert

et dans les futurs projets, le Altoria c'est le plus beau je trouve. http://www.altoria.ca/en/

Moi je travail présentement sur les chantiers de prével (électricité) et je peux vous dire que la qualité des unités qu'ils font est vraiment bonne! Je n'aurais pas peur d'acheter un de leurs condos. Ils ont de très haut standard et rien n'est fait en cabauchon. Tout est très bien inspecter avant qu'ils ferment les murs. Je suis en train de terminer la phase 6 des lofts impérial (atwater/st-antoine), ils sont tous vendu mais il reste encore phase 7-8 a faire!!
http://www.loftsimperial.ca/

Je suis en train de terminer la phase 6 des lofts impérial (atwater/st-antoine), ils sont tous vendu mais il reste encore phase 7-8 a faire!!
http://www.loftsimperial.ca/

j'ai travaillé chez imperial avant que ca ferme, pis le cartier était vraiment, mais vraiment sketch... j'espere que ca a changé parce que pour le moment, griffintown c'est comme westmount comparé au coin des loft imperial!!!

Fred and I have gone on an expedition there, and we gotta admit, the doors and hallways are nice

quand je regardais, j'ai fait le tour de tous les projets en ville. Pis le Lowney c'est quand meme le meilleur rapport qualité/prix. Nous on voulait 1100pc + et ils les ont cancellés pour faire deux unités de 600pc... et finalement je suis déménagé.

on aimait vraiment beaucoup le Louis Boheme mais il était quasiment tout vendu. Sinon c'était plus cher (comme au vieux montreal).. Par exemple, le M9 juste a coté du Lowney c'était ridicule les prix..

un autre projet plus loin mais moins cher c'est quartier54 (http://www.quartier54.com/) proche de la plaza st-hubert

et dans les futurs projets, le Altoria c'est le plus beau je trouve. http://www.altoria.ca/en/

Yeah, I've looked into the condos in the surrounding area as well (ex: M9, Altitude, Le Crystal, etc.) and all of them are too expensive for me. I expect the Altoria to be the same, given the location. It really sucks that you had to forfeit your unit. Did you actually have a preliminary contract in place, or did you only have a reservation?

Nokturnal: Thanks, very reassuring to know!

vitulla: I wasn't aware that the reason why the recent phases were selling out so fast were because of investors. I will have to take this into consideration, as I surely don't want to live in a place that is mostly comprised of renters as opposed to home owners, as they will not really care about the upkeep of the property.

d_accord: My annual expenses definitely don't leave a lot to be desired:

condo fees: $1989
parking maintenance: $660
municipal tax: $2750
school tax: $700

benpou: Thanks, will check out the District Griffintown

Last edited:
mon pere habitais la........vomis sur la terrase en haut........excrements dans le spa en haut.... a part sa c vraiment une belle place c neuf le monde son sympa

You're paying over $500/month just in taxes and misc fees and we haven't even talked about your living basic living expenses...

I'll pm you something (my recent purchase)

Back