Montreal = Most car unfriendly place in the world? Everyone read..

I know this is a car related topic... but you can transfer all of this in almost everything in this province.

We overpay for everything here in Quebec, plus we get worse service.

I went to Olive Garden with my girlfriend and her parents. 4 nice plates, with all you can eat salad and bread + a nice bottle of wine = 89$ Try to get that here.

The free health care here sucks. I'd rather pay to get health services when I need them instead of paying all the time and waiting over 30 hours to see a damn doctor that treats you like a damn...

I should've pulled the trigger and left this place back when times were rough at work... sigh.

You have to be kidding...the Olive Garden, that is not food. It is garbage. You cannot compare Florida to Montreal, aside from Miami there is no culture in Florida. You want to pay your own private insurance, it will cost you (or your employer) $1600-2000 per month + a deductible. No corruption, it is because of the corruption in Florida that Bush won the election of 2000...

Are you ready to put up with hurricanes every year and high insurance costs?

Montreal is a fantastic city. Yeah potholes suck, but it's a small price to pay for the quality of life we have here.

As you get older and take on more responsibilities (mortgage, wife, kids), your precious car will start to take a back seat to more pressing concerns.

1. The deplorable condition of roads

That's the only smart/valid point you made. Yes our roads suck, that's pretty obvious. However, like it was mentioned previously, there's no point in comparing our roads to California's... they don't have snow/ice/cold/extreme temperate shifts.

2. Lack of general care for cars.

Is this a joke lol? Yeah, this is a car enthusiast forum, I give you that, but not everybody cares for their cars. I have a hi fi audio setup at home, when I hear your piece of shit radio it bothers me but I don't post a rant on the internet.

Listen, not everybody has money to attribute to their car(s), some people respectfully place their priorities elsewhere; this isn't a bad thing.

Reading your post makes me believe you come from money, especially when you say something as stupid as:

"A lot of grown men seem not-embarrassed to drive a rusted out, poo-colored Toyota Echos."

Do you think that if these men had the choice, they would be driving a rusted piece of shit? Ah no, they should try and look cool and blow their savings account on a leased 323 with no added options - yeah, that will get them further.

3. Laws stacked against car ownership.

Again like previously mentioned, you're contradicting yourself. You can't lower prices for driving education and tickets and expect better drivers and less traffic.

4. Climate

Not sure if serious?

" it would be nice if I could get Synthetic oil and OEM parts at what Americans pay"

They pay less for oil in general, not just for their motor oil. You can go even further and ask yourself: wouldn't it be nice if we could pay what Venezuelans pay for their oil/gas? How about we all move to South America? Poor roads, poor cars, oh yeah, poor people - although they do value religion,family, and community (to be honest, they probably have their priorities in better check than us, but that's a whole different topic). What I'm getting at is that we pay more for oil and other goods, Europe pays more than us and so on. Some countries export, some import, they have oil, we need oil. Basic form of trade right there. Get used to it.

Is your post even serious?

Oh and lol to the dude who likes to eat at the Olive Garden. Oliver Garden = McDonalds that serves pasta.

I think your way off on most of this..
1. First of all are you bitching because its COLD OUTSIDE? what do you want anyone to do about that?
2. Montreal has more respect for cars compared to new york. seriously incomparable, the people over there dont give a crap.. kinds playing baseball and hockey in the street constantly. People sitting and leaning on the cars.
3. Cars rusting after 1 year. what do you want us to do about that.. change all the fenders of our cars to a higher quality metal? if its rusting after 1 year theres nothing we can do about that, its going to rust anyway..
4. Did you know that in alberta and places they put GRAVEL on the roads instead of salt.. i guess this is better??? you only have to change your windshield every year!
5. California is ultimate Nazi.. they have random booths set up on the side of the highway pulling people over to check if people are passing there smog testing.. which could = costly repairs equal to or more than our potholes (including engine rebuilds or total scrapping of the car)
6. what difference does it make what car you drive? some people dont care, and maybe its better that way since they dont waste so much money on them.
7. all the pics you posted are places that don't have winter.. montreal has extreme up and down climate, you cant really compare mtl to the united states.
8. sometimes i dont really agree with how the transport office is run, i think that you need to calm down, no matter how important your car is to you in your head, you dont drive a million dollar show car after all.
offtopic
9.i love montreal, we have beautiful women!

Nailed it!! Thanks for writing this so I don't have to.

OP and others in this thread: Again with the wining? MANY misinformed people in here. And LOL @ wining on weather, LOL @ comparing with hot weather all year long cities in the greatest economy on the planet.

Oh and you don't want to pay taxes either... amirite?

Stupidity at its best.

Montreal is a fantastic city. Yeah potholes suck, but it's a small price to pay for the quality of life we have here.

As you get older and take on more responsibilities (mortgage, wife, kids), your precious car will start to take a back seat to more pressing concerns.

More like a HUGE price to pay...

What the point of complaining about winter?

This winter i`m taking it easy(not much to do, car project wise), but last winter, i spent an entire season working on my rx-7. This included an engine swap and a lot of interior work. Sure it`s harder to work in winter, and there are some things you just can`t do, due to snow and the cold, but there are other things you can do, that you would not give priority during the summer season. Montreal is not the coldest place on earth where they have cars.

If you truly love cars and driving then you will find ways around the potholes, cold weather, and just not care about other people who dislike their cars.

I do notice that a lot of people don't care for their cars at all, but I'm sure its like that all over the world. And even if it's not, It's not gonna affect how I like my car what so ever.

You have to either accept the way things are here, or live somewhere else.

It sounds wrong to just accept things, but there really isn't much we can do regarding the state of the roads or peoples "lack of care for their cars"

And compared to many places in Europe and the rest of the world, it's not very expensive to own a car here at all. Maybe it's a bit cheaper in the US but thats about it.

You have to either accept the way things are here, or live somewhere else.

It sounds wrong to just accept things, but there really isn't much we can do regarding the state of the roads or peoples "lack of care for their cars"

I tend to disagree with this. Lowering the speed limits to a cringing 70 is basically punishing everyone because someone people are 'driving challenged'. How about improving or making driving school more demanding ?

I'm not talking about doing track-level classes but how about demanding that everyone learns how to drive standard before being let loose on the streets ? It would either weed out a bunch of incompetents or force the rest to become better drivers. Everybody could then enjoy a better quality road system instead of lowering ourselves to the common denominators.

montreal is great when you're 18-25. after that everything about it is just a pita. the mayor is fuc4ing moron and is slowly driving everybody out of the city.

you care too mutch about your car. nobody care about what you drive and you should just buy a regular car and put your money far from your car.

we dont have the road and wheater to have a nice car or bike

Has any one of you ever driven in the states before you start bitching about the state of the roads in Montreal? It's like saying all the roads are amazing in the states because of on fresh strip of tarmac next to a new suburb of Houston... For real?

Let me give you some examples of horrible roads.

NYC in general. The roads are as bad as Montreal, but with the double whammy that they can't take care of 1 foot of snow, and the streets are filled at 300% capacity with cars.
Have you taken the George Washington Bridge recently? It's 10X worse then the Mercier bridge...

LA Highways... Did you ever drive on them... They might not have holes in them, but they feel as smooth as a mild off road wheeling course. It's like Mexicans (No pun intended) threw the concrete on the bare ground with garden shovels and tapped it down. Plus, you get the opportunity to do an average of 2MPH any time of the day on them.

Lets take the famous Route 66. Did you ever drive on it between California and Nevada? It's got grass growing on it.

Most people here know the roads are not the greatest and having a comfortable suspension is the way to go when you drive normally on average roads.

Most people here "upgrade" there car, and I say upgrade with a grain of salt because reactive coil over is not an upgrade imho. So they upgrade there cars with harder suspensions, harder shocks, tires that have less give and seats that have less padding in them. And expect the city to provide pool table velvety roads.

Get real people... Here are a few facts you should consider before complaining...

Old city's have lots of infrastructure issues, and car comfort is low on the list when you have shit pouring in the subway tunnel.
City's are not made for cars in 2010.
Modified cars belong on race tracks, not on city streets.
Public transport is getting so much better then 5 years ago.
Suburban people need to use public transport to go work down town.

Has any one of you ever driven in the states before you start bitching about the state of the roads in Montreal? It's like saying all the roads are amazing in the states because of on fresh strip of tarmac next to a new suburb of Houston... For real?

Let me give you some examples of horrible roads.

NYC in general. The roads are as bad as Montreal, but with the double whammy that they can't take care of 1 foot of snow, and the streets are filled at 300% capacity with cars.
Have you taken the George Washington Bridge recently? It's 10X worse then the Mercier bridge...

LA Highways... Did you ever drive on them... They might not have holes in them, but they feel as smooth as a mild off road wheeling course. It's like Mexicans (No pun intended) threw the concrete on the bare ground with garden shovels and tapped it down. Plus, you get the opportunity to do an average of 2MPH any time of the day on them.

Lets take the famous Route 66. Did you ever drive on it between California and Nevada? It's got grass growing on it.

Most people here know the roads are not the greatest and having a comfortable suspension is the way to go when you drive normally on average roads.

Most people here "upgrade" there car, and I say upgrade with a grain of salt because reactive coil over is not an upgrade imho. So they upgrade there cars with harder suspensions, harder shocks, tires that have less give and seats that have less padding in them. And expect the city to provide pool table velvety roads.

Get real people... Here are a few facts you should consider before complaining...

Old city's have lots of infrastructure issues, and car comfort is low on the list when you have shit pouring in the subway tunnel.
City's are not made for cars in 2010.
Modified cars belong on race tracks, not on city streets.
Suburban people need to use public transport to go work down town.

Lol, someone's in love with the city of montreal

Lol, someone's in love with the city of montreal

After having visited
Saigon, Bangkok, Taipei, Hong-Kong, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, Denpasar, New York, Seattle, LA, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, Havana, St-Marteen, Paris and London.

I can tell you, I would not trade Montreal for any one of thoes city's except maybe for Bangkok as a distant 2nd.

Why do they take our ( car drivers) money to fund public transportation ?

How about they charge full price to the public transport users AND use money from public transportation to pay for the road system, which after all, they also use.

Why do they take our ( car drivers) money to fund public transportation ?

How about they charge full price to the public transport users AND use money from public transportation to pay for the road system, which after all, they also use.

Because car drivers love there cars! So the money keeps comming! Even if the gas is at 1.30$/L.

Instead of charging a $ ammount on fuel for public transport, they should charge a % percent. That way when the fuel goes up, so does public transport funding.

Bah... Not reason to argue, you will all bash me with your arguments. I will quietly keep riding my bus. And enjoy looking at people stuck in traffic while i am in the reserved lane being chauffeured.

Bah... Not reason to argue, you will all bash me with your arguments. I will quietly keep riding my bus. And enjoy looking at people stuck in traffic while i am in the reserved lane being chauffeured.

Sorry for the strong wording, but this is the basis of a communist society. You are basically letting others carry you. You being "chauffeured" is made possible by people with cars that pay for your trip. There are various words that describe this behavior...

I have nothing against you taking the bus, I would gladly encourage it in a self-sufficient way of existing.

That's the only smart/valid point you made. Yes our roads suck, that's pretty obvious. However, like it was mentioned previously, there's no point in comparing our roads to California's... they don't have snow/ice/cold/extreme temperate shifts.

Well, Europe does have such conditions. but even in broke-ass Eastern Europe (almost 3rd world there) and -20 and meters of snow the roads are still 10x better than in QC.

Again like previously mentioned, you're contradicting yourself. You can't lower prices for driving education and tickets and expect better drivers and less traffic.

Sure, but you can make the exams harder. Driving exams are a JOKE! So are the driving courses. They cost a lot of money but they are SO easy, it's incredible. I am sure 99% of Quebec drivers will fail any European country drivers' test.

Make education cheaper but with better quality. This applies not only to driving exams but to the whole Ministere d'Education. Kids in African tribes get better education then QC high school students. It's ridiculous.

Back