From Red Light to Red Light

catharsis3k

Is it just me or are many red lights around Montreal on major streets synchronized so that you go from red light to red light ?

I'm in Lasalle and on Newman I can never catch all the lights green.

As light #1 goes green, light #2 ahead of me will turn red within 2-3 seconds. I've tried going 10km/h, 50,60,100, there is no way I can catch it. And it's the same thing on many other streets.

I'm sure they can have them turn green in succession and let the traffic flow. It's not that difficult.

Is this by design ? Who can I ask about this and get a straight answer ? The police, the townhall, local official ?

Some roads have signs "Feux synchronisés 50km/h" or 60km/h.

It seems like it's all been de-synchronized for a few years. I remember at least 2 streets where it used to be sync'ed but it isn't anymore: Sherbrooke St. in Westmount, and Blvd. Marcel-Laurin.

Is it just me or are many red lights around Montreal on major streets synchronized so that you go from red light to red light ?

I'm in Lasalle and on Newman I can never catch all the lights green.

As light #1 goes green, light #2 ahead of me will turn red within 2-3 seconds. I've tried going 10km/h, 50,60,100, there is no way I can catch it. And it's the same thing on many other streets.

I'm sure they can have them turn green in succession and let the traffic flow. It's not that difficult.

Is this by design ? Who can I ask about this and get a straight answer ? The police, the townhall, local official ?

ive lived in lasalle for over 20 years and have never had problems to get from 90th and newman to leger with all greens, it depends on traffic ahead of you most of the time more than anything

ive lived in lasalle for over 20 years and have never had problems to get from 90th and newman to leger with all greens, it depends on traffic ahead of you most of the time more than anything

try this next time.

When you are going towards 90th on Newman, stop at the red light at Dollard. When it turns green, see what happens to the light ahead of you at 90th.

It literally turns red in 4 seconds. I've tried going 50 or even 120 to try and catch it. Mission impossible. And it's like this with all the lights all the way from Angrignon.

I'm also pretty sure I've seen this on many other streets

It seems like it's all been de-synchronized for a few years. I remember at least 2 streets where it used to be sync'ed but it isn't anymore: Sherbrooke St. in Westmount, and Blvd. Marcel-Laurin.

x2

Fucking rep

My take on it is they are all out of sync. The only ones that still somewhat function are the ones on Rockland.

yeah, I want to believe that too but the "out of sync" in fact means "in sync to always be red".

I may be going crazy but I've watched those lights for the past few months now. When two systems run at slightly different speeds they will go through the whole: in sync, slightly out of sync...not in sync....slightly out of sync...in sync again cycle. This is a solid "in sync for red" kinda deal. lol

it's really pissing me off especially when I see the SAAQ ads with: Why hurry ? You'll just hit a red light again!

Not only are we forced to go 40 ,now we can't even get to 40 cuz we'll obviously hit another red light. For crying out loud, I'm not going 70, or 100, I'm not breaking the speed limit in any way and yet there's this stuff going on.

grr

try this next time.

When you are going towards 90th on Newman, stop at the red light at Dollard. When it turns green, see what happens to the light ahead of you at 90th.

It literally turns red in 4 seconds. I've tried going 50 or even 120 to try and catch it. Mission impossible. And it's like this with all the lights all the way from Angrignon.

I'm also pretty sure I've seen this on many other streets

ive caught that light before its not impossible, as for the rest you can hit green all the way from angrignon to dollard its a timing and traffic problem

My theory: I believe all the lights that are going to the center of the city are all sync to stop incoming traffic.
Example Marcel Laurent south I always get all the reds till From Goin till Cote Vertu. Same for St-Laurent -> St-Urbain.

But the other way. Going out of the city all the lights a sync to get people out quick.

I got all greens coming back from Decarie till Henri-Bourassa.

If one way is syncronized, the other one won't be... I don't like our road system, but I don't think that lights syncronization is really to blame in most cases, except when they give like 30 seconds for pedestrians and 5 seconds to cars, especially when it's not downtown/not many pedestrians there.

During night usually I stop at red lights and then just burn them if the way is free. Anyway, in my delivery area there are so many parallel small streets with almost no lights, so once you get to know the area and the red light duration, you can get anywhere pretty fast. Soccer moms blocking my way make me lose much more time.

it's not bad on Sherbrooke from Claremont to Greene can be done at ~40km/h
Marcel-Laurin is, :dunno: and Cote-Vertu/Sauve isn't bad either, 1-2 reds.

My theory: I believe all the lights that are going to the center of the city are all sync to stop incoming traffic.
Example Marcel Laurent south I always get all the reds till From Goin till Cote Vertu. Same for St-Laurent -> St-Urbain.

But the other way. Going out of the city all the lights a sync to get people out quick.

I got all greens coming back from Decarie till Henri-Bourassa.

Marcel Laurin towards the 15 I always get all the reds, no matter how fast or slow I go.

Bottom line, and also my initial question. Is this information available to the public ? Any reason why it shouldn't be available to us ? Who can be contacted and asked about this ?

Edit: Book on Traffic Flow systems:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=8O4...ook_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CDgQ6AEwBg

Last edited:
Newmans usually good for that tho , i usually catch the wave and do the whole street on green!

Back