changing suspension need help to find some tools

squiggles

i will be putting my coils in once the snow melts, i just want to know is there a place where i can buy the spreader tool that you apperently need to take out the shock tower. or anyone have some tips so that i can make a homemade spreader tool. i dont want to bang the shock out with a hammer really.... for those who dont know what tool am talking about here is a picture.
imgres

Tried finding this tool locally but couldn't ,ended up banging out the shock with hammer.

Order the tool online it's a must

WHAT CAR?

what u can do is....
grap your biggest aleen key.... shave the sides and make it look like a screw driver and there is your tool

WHAT CAR?

what u can do is....
grap your biggest aleen key.... shave the sides and make it look like a screw driver and there is your tool

Pretty smart .. What we did was stick a flathead screwdriver in the middle and bang out the rest, it was horrible lol

what Kia said.

Get yourself a 10mm Hex bit driver and grind down the sides to make it into an oval. That's what I did, works like a champ.

its for a mk4 golf.. alright thats what i read on vortex but wanted to make sure the tool is 30$ on the net to forget that garbage lol.. ill grind away on the hex bit.

If u can get ur hangs on an impact gun. That will help.

Also air tools will help too

For strut bearing removal (allen one that's underhood) You can make a contraption that looks like this to lock the nut and loosen the strut simlutaneously. You could get it off with air tools too but you're still going to need to use something like this to tighten the nut manually as a air gun will crack the plastic strut bearing.

100_1669.jpg

Also, you don't have to remove the passenger side axle like many say. Just remove the ball joint from the control arm by removing the three 10mm nuts and then you can move the whole assembly to the side and get the strut out of the knuckle.

One more thing you may need if you don't have air tools, is an offset wrench to remove the strut mount from the rear shocks. They have one at sears by craftsman it's perfect.

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00944318000

For strut bearing removal (allen one that's underhood) You can make a contraption that looks like this to lock the nut and loosen the strut simlutaneously. You could get it off with air tools too but you're still going to need to use something like this to tighten the nut manually as a air gun will crack the plastic strut bearing.

100_1669.jpg
thanks thats the tool I was looking for!!

Also, you don't have to remove the passenger side axle like many say. Just remove the ball joint from the control arm by removing the three 10mm nuts and then you can move the whole assembly to the side and get the strut out of the knuckle.

One more thing you may need if you don't have air tools, is an offset wrench to remove the strut mount from the rear shocks. They have one at sears by craftsman it's perfect.

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00944318000
thanks that the tool I was looking for!!

Back