Question about metal

djroyalvibe

Hello everyone!
I am building a rollcage and i have to make some plates that wrap around the rear shock towers. The only problem is i am trying to make these out of 0.125" sheet metal and it is too thick to bend. I have tried to make these plates from multiple pieces and weld them in shape. Only problem is the gap between these and the shock towers is a little too big to fill with a welder. Here are some pics to show you what i mean:

2011-03-01%2016.49.33.jpg

2011-03-01%2016.58.48%281%29%281%29.jpg

QUESTION: Do you guys use thiner steel in making these (everything online looks to wrap nicely so i'm guessing it isn't as thick as what i am using) or do you have some tricks to be able to bend this? :D

heating the marerial up will weaken it, your best bet is to make a plate that fills up the top from the same material that was used on the piece you have there. but from the looks of it I would start from scratch as it looks like you grinded too much material where the welds are.

Thanks all! And i probably will start from scratch on these pieces. Gotta get it spot on. I'll try to source some 0.120"

dsl je ne sais pas trop lexpliquer parfaitement en anglais alors je le dit en francais..

tu soude ta plaque de 0.125" sur le coter ou tu veut comment, ensuite tu prend le marteau tu le cogne pour quil plie et tu soude un peu le plus loin tu peut et tu recommence avec le marteau ca va plier peu a peu et comme sa tu pourra faire le tour complet et sa sera bien plier et bien souder.

bon merci pour le conseil :bigup: je suis aller me chercher plus de métal 1/8 et j'essayerai de la façon que tu dis

heating it up will not weaken it, just don't spray it with water to cool it down quickly.

.125 is the minimum required thickness, so it's what everyone uses. you can stick it in a vice and bend it 1/2 and inch at a time with a soft faced hammer and a bit of heat.

Back