HID bulbs, are they under warranty for a Certified PreOwned car?

Sugadaddy

2007 GTI, one of the headlights was starting to go pink, and it didn't turn on tonight. Are those under warranty if I bought the car CPO?

Thanks!

Sorry to tell you but your bulbs are not coverd ... your ballasts are coverd !

How long ago did you buy the car ?

Mine turned pink first for a few days , then flickered and then just died. When they replaced the bulb the color output was different for like 2 months but then evened out.

Curious question... what is the difference between OEM phillips that are so expensive and chinese bulbs that are 20$ a pair. Clearly the oem ones will probably last longer but you can buy about 10 pairs for the price of 1 oem bulb!!

Why not just buy a pair of chinese bulbs?

From what I've read, chinese bulbs are cheaper, but won't last as long and light output will get lower over time.

Dealers are a crazy ripoff, but a good alternative is to get the same bulbs for half the price online. (Philips 85122+ or Osram 66240)

Just ordered a pair of Osram 66240 from this place:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com

95$ + shipping for a pair... I know dealers are usually more expensive for parts, but 4 times the price is ridiculous.

From what I've read, chinese bulbs are cheaper, but won't last as long and light output will get lower over time.

Dealers are a crazy ripoff, but a good alternative is to get the same bulbs for half the price online. (Philips 85122+ or Osram 66240)

Just ordered a pair of Osram 66240 from this place:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com

95$ + shipping for a pair... I know dealers are usually more expensive for parts, but 4 times the price is ridiculous.

Please make an educated comment before blaming the dealer ...Remember Phillips sales to volkswagen the Volkswagen sales to the dealers there isnt' a 110% mark up but we have to sale acoordingly with what volkswagen charges us !

If i where you i would go with the phillips but Osram is good also.

PRi honestly i have seen your lights and they are fine !

Yeah, I guess I can't blame the dealers if VW overcharges them for the part, but as a customer all I know is it ends up costing more than 4 times what I just paid from an online retailer. Would be interesting to see dealer cost on these, but I'm sure you can't say?

Anyways, the Osram seems like a newer model and a bit "whiter" than the Philips, so I decided to try those.

Curious question... what is the difference between OEM phillips that are so expensive and chinese bulbs that are 20$ a pair. Clearly the oem ones will probably last longer but you can buy about 10 pairs for the price of 1 oem bulb!!

Why not just buy a pair of chinese bulbs?

Lots of people ask that Q. The Philips ones are high quality, they should last for a long time, we are talking usually 4 years+ easy. I am still running the OEM HID ballast and bulbs on my headlights, its a 2002, so 9 years now! One side is starting to flicker a tad from time to time, but its still working, and the colors are still OK.

Chinese bulbs are cheaper, and depending where you get them from, they actually can last on average from 1.5 to 3 years+. I have them on some cars so far for 2 years+ without issues. But you are right, for the best bang for the buck, the Chinese bulbs would be a better idea most of the time, and this is specially true if you consider the ballasts into account. Bulbs are cheap, ballasts are not.

Personally, for a relatively new car (say 2009+), I would get the good stuff like Philips because chances are you are going to keep the car for a while, and you dont want to switch HIDs every 2 years or 3. For older cars, I would get the Chinese ones and replace once if needed, it would be still cheaper, and you would probably sell or trade the car before they even go out.

If however you purchased the Philips ones, and for whatever reason they failed prematurely (bulbs/ballasts), or in case of an accident/hit and run/etc (god forbid), well then things will end up being very pricey at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Back