Popularity vs. Quality headphones - Research for a contest

El Maestro

Here's the deal.

I want to hold a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly (im not sure about that yet) contest on my newest website.

Absolutely legit, no scam.

Anyway, I'm not really a headphones expert so I thought about coming here to ask.

I decided the prize is going to be a pair of headphones and my website isn't popular enough to the point where I can interest sponsors into giving me free shit to giveaway so I have to take the money out of my own pockets.

Here's where I am stuck:

I need people to want to participate in the contest so I obviously can't giveaway 20$ headphones because they would most ignore the contest due to the shitty prize.

so here's my question... are there any 50-60$ headphones that would actually make you participate in a contest and really try to win? If so, what headphones would they be?

Should I even care about brand vs. quality since its for a contest? I'm thinking if I can find a good balance between brand vs. quality for approx 50$ I should be okay.

Maybe like :

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=0a3e2a959096e63926b0a6b9f7d1deb4en02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=b386147439762893b00ff687322dc6d5en02

I don't know what to settle on.

Since my website is about music and the participation is going to involve music, I thought it would be appropriate for me to giveaway headphones + a little something else.

if you want to give away a quality set, stay away from FutureShop, with your price range all they will have is garbage. Ignore Toze's Skullcandy comment.

For 50-60$....

Yuin Pk3
http://www.amazon.com/YUIN-PK3-Earb...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1302441354&sr=8-1

Nu-Force Ne-700x
http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-NE-70...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1302441372&sr=1-3

futureshop was only for show.

but that's the thing though...I don't know if the people who are actually going to be participating will prefer quality over popularity/brand.

my viewers are 16-25, into Hip hop/R&B.

so I'm kinda wondering if they rather have dre beats (even though they sound like shit) or another brand name just because they can't notice the sound difference and rather look cool...

a friend of mine who works for apple is going to see if he can either directly hook me up with Ipods to give away (or at least a good discount) or hook me up with a higher contact at apple who I could talk to and maybe get them to "sponsor" the contests...

If I do buy headphones, has to be headband headphones (bigger items attract more attention).

but that's the thing though...I don't know if the people who are actually going to be participating will prefer quality over popularity/brand.

so I'm kinda wondering if they rather have dre beats (even though they sound like shit) or another brand name just because they can't notice the sound difference and rather look cool...

a friend of mine who works for apple is going to see if he can either directly hook me up with Ipods to give away (or at least a good discount) or hook me up with a higher contact at apple who I could talk to and maybe get them to "sponsor" the contests...

If I do buy headphones, has to be headband headphones (bigger items attract more attention).

considering your viewers, it is more likely that they will prefer flashy stuff, such as skull candy, over quality. Most of them probably believe beats are the best headphones ever.

We use Senheiser headsets at work for communications, at least once a month a headset goes defective. I am not impressed with their product.

Je viens de m'acheter des Skullcandy G.I. et je suis quand même satisfait pour le prix. Oui bla bla bla Senheinser c'est mieux mais bon :p (j'en ai une paire aussi ;) )

Last edited:

Skull candy ;) +facebook promotion lol

considering your viewers, it is more likely that they will prefer flashy stuff, such as skull candy, over quality. Most of them probably believe beats are the best headphones ever.
exactly look someone already posted beats
lol

brah i read in one of your posts your friend high up in apple with get you some for free for your site?

I doubt that will EVER happen.. apple wont give free products.. especially to start up blogs unfortunately :\

anyways if you want to make a quick few bucks off this so you can offset the cost of the headset PM me i can give some suggestions.

I'm actually impressed with these 30$ earbuds:

http://shoprobot.co.cc/?q=RPHJE240S+reviews

Panasonic-RP-HJE240-S-Stereo-Headphones_250x220.jpg

They sound much better than the Kliptsch I had bought a while back. The Kliptsch sounded better than my old Sony set but they wouldn't stay in my fucking ears no matter what I did. All in all the above Panasonics are the best pair I've had so far except for my now defunct Philips Noise Cancelling set.

I've had some JVCs marschmellows, two different sets of Sony, Klipstcsch, and finally the Panasonics.

brah i read in one of your posts your friend high up in apple with get you some for free for your site?

I doubt that will EVER happen.. apple wont give free products.. especially to start up blogs unfortunately :\

anyways if you want to make a quick few bucks off this so you can offset the cost of the headset PM me i can give some suggestions.

I know the odds of having free apple products are slim to none but I don't think a good discount is hard to get from apple. To at least help me buy those prizes.

Klipsch Image S7. Incredible sound quality for a reasonable price (you can fin them for about $70 on eBay).
They won cNet's best in ear comparo.

Back