554cc V8 ---> 9000RPM !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belo

Here's a custom engine built by Washington University SAE team... :bigup:

they have designed and built the base, crankshaft, pistons, connecting rods, transmission casing etc... go check their website they have a great team website

image001.jpg

image016.jpg

image020.jpg

image037.jpg

image046.jpg

image019.jpg

Dyno

they're genius and rich$$$$

we can't even afford an aluminum block big enough to make 1 block... they have many hahaha

I bet it's gonna perform poorly compared to the other team's engine. Because it's hard to produce an engine as good as the one made by, honda, yamaha, suzuki and kawasaki.

But props to them for making it, it's awesome.

It's crazy what you can do when you have a lot of money and sponsors. That machining tool is extremely expensive.

Yeah, that's just crazy. And it basically was designed and machined by two guys...

Now Belo how about the Delft car :cry:

I bet it's gonna perform poorly compared to the other team's engine. Because it's hard to produce an engine as good as the one made by, honda, yamaha, suzuki and kawasaki.

You're right...that was 3 years ago, they couldn't get the car to run properly with the engine installed.

the only reason it spins so fast is because its so small, but it is still impressive. Give me that CNC machine

neonracer98 said:
the only reason it spins so fast is because its so small, but it is still impressive. Give me that CNC machine

exactly
more cylinders over less displacement with less stroke = more rpms
that motor is almost 0.6 liters lol
not your typical "big-8"

I'm not sure but I think it has a stroke of under 20 mm ... that s why it's so fast...

maybe it didn't work well but the have won a lot of prizes with that... prizes means even more $$$ the XXX was in Road and track etc etc...

Supernaut said:
Now Belo how about the Delft car :cry:.

Delft car????

Well we are looking for an F4i for next year... if we can get the AEM EMS it'll be crazy... but we need a cam sensor to be able to control sequentiel injection... so it's either going to be a complete F4i or only the head, the block itself is the same...

So who wants to donate 3000$ ???? *banghead*

I don't see how this would make them rich.

I studied mechanical engineering and we built a jet engine (small one)

aluminum is easy to cast and doesnt cost that much.

:dunno:

with the proper plans and knowledge this can be done by many school shops

wow disons que c'est pas des nullard c'est gars la ! ca me donne mal a la tete juste regarder et comprendre les pieces ! :p

Darkseeker said:
I don't see how this would make them rich.

I studied mechanical engineering and we built a jet engine (small one)

aluminum is easy to cast and doesnt cost that much.

:dunno:

with the proper plans and knowledge this can be done by many school shops

go check the prizes on SAE website.. you ll see it makes them rich... then go check the price of an aluminum block of that size... then calculate the dynamics of a V8, do the plans, then calculate how many hours of machining it takes to do all that...

you'll end up with a big project even if aluminum is easy to cast :squintfin (joke)

I know it can be done they did it... but still... I'm impressed if you re not well ...

Delft car????

Delft from the Netherlands...they showed up at Formula Student this year with an untested car and easily won design...full CF monocoque, CF A-arms, CF driveshafts/flexplates and wheels...etc. They weighed 297 pounds!!

If you have last month's Race Car Engineering they have a whole article about it (and other FSAEs)

Dscn1273.jpg

Belo said:
imagine comment peuvent couter des mags en carbon...
Ils ont surement fait les mags eux même, tu en prend des vrai en métal pour te faire un moule ensuite tu les fait en fibre de carbone et voilà.

Il faut juste être très minutieu.

Oui ils les ont faits eux-mêmes, à partir d'un moule custom (pas copié) Ca donne 2.6 livres pour chaque...:eek1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back