Chernobyl disaster 25th anniversary

VWSpeed

Don't remember who from MR visited Chernobyl. However, pictures from the disaster always remind us how fragile we are while destructive at the same time. 25-years from now we will see images of Japan.

On April 26, 1986, reactor number four at the Chernobyl nuclear power facility in what is now Ukraine exploded. The largest civil nuclear disaster in history led to mass evacuations, and long-term health, agricultural, and economic distress. The nearby city of Pripyat has been abandoned, and a 19-mile radius "exclusion zone" established where radiation contamination makes continued habitation dangerous. Collected here are archival pictures of the catastrophe, as well as more recent images of the area. In addition, two photographers who've made extensive studies of the aftermath have been gracious enough to share their work with us here. Diana Markosian documented the lives of pensioners Lida and Mikhail Masanovitz, who continue to live in the abandoned ghost town of Redkovka, Ukraine. Her work is found here in photographs 13 through 16. Michael Forster Rothbart has produced one of the most extensive records available of life near Chernobyl. His work is found here in photographs 23 through 29. Links to the websites of both photographers can be found below. -- Lane Turner

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/04/chernobyl_disaster_25th_annive.html

bp2.jpg

The TEPCO Fukushima reactors are nowhere close to the damage of the Chernobyl reactor. Chernobyl's core did not have a containment and you can clearly see the exposed core on fire and the camera and chopper going berserk as it approached the core due to the high amount of radiation. Also there was radioactive plasma burning its way through the concrete foundation and underground earth reaching the river.

Watch at 03:00

Last edited:
Un peu off-topic, mais en mémoire de ce jours!!! j'ai un dilemne quel jeux jouer Stalker ou Metro 2033.

The TEPCO Fukushima reactors are nowhere close to the damage of the Chernobyl reactor. Chernobyl's core did not have a containment and you can clearly see the exposed core on fire and the camera and chopper going berserk as it approached the core due to the high amount of radiation. Also there was radioactive plasma burning its way through the concrete foundation and underground earth reaching the river.

Close but no cigar. In Chernobyl they dug a massive room underneath the reactor building which they eventually filled with concrete to prevent a "China Syndrome" no offence for the terminology. Also 2 men died while draining radioactive water from underneath the reactor building. So no material would cause a 3rd explosion. I agree with you however about how fuku 1 was less severe than Chernobyl. That shit blew up and burned for almost 2 weeks. There was burning graphite and uranium everywhere.

Close but no cigar. In Chernobyl they dug a massive room underneath the reactor building which they eventually filled with concrete to prevent a "China Syndrome" no offence for the terminology. Also 2 men died while draining radioactive water from underneath the reactor building. So no material would cause a 3rd explosion. I agree with you however about how fuku 1 was less severe than Chernobyl. That shit blew up and burned for almost 2 weeks. There was burning graphite and uranium everywhere.

I'm surprised of never having heard of an actual experience to test the "China Syndrome"... wonder why ;)

I wonder if they'll come up with a commemorative coin or a special edition boxset. Wait, no. They're not American...

I know, they were suppose to use liquid nitrogen to freeze the plasma, but they opt to use concrete instead as the cushioning material, the plasma never burnt through the foundation.

They used those helicopter because they are "Gunships" mean they are heavily amour like a flying tank to give more protection against the radiation.

Back