Import Issue

od_man99

So this is my second time importing a car.

I'm wondering, if I have the owner drive the vehicle up here and have all the papers in hand, will that be easier than going down and picking up myself?

How would it work from there for the Federal and Provincial inspection, if the owner were to drive the car up instead of me?

I'm asking this because I intend of getting an STI from Indiana.

The owner is willing to drive all the way here from indiana to sell you the car?

The owner is a fellow engineer. I spoke to him on the phone. He needs to go up to Vermont to meet with a company and thought it would be wise to wait 3 weeks until he comes up for his interview.

There is also another STI in NY, the guy offered to drive up.

That's why I'm asking.

pretty sure he cannot import a car to Canada in your name. Meet him close to the border and take it from there.

si je me souvien bien pour passé une auto au douane tu dois les aviser en avance avec les info de l'auto et tout sinon sa se complique . Informe toi a se sujet pour etre sur. Apres s'est les meme truc stupide d'inspection blah blah

If he drives the car to the border and hand the title to the US customs at that moment, the car will have to sit in a parking lot for 72 hours before you can drive it to Canada.

The best thing to do would be to have him mail the (title + 2 copies (front/back) + bill of sale) to the US customs so the 72 BUSINESS hours delay will have passed when the time comes to drive the car to Canada. Then you can go ahead and provide the appropriate paperwork to the Canada border agents, pay the taxes and then proceed with the inspections later on.

If he drives the car to the border and hand the title to the US customs at that moment, the car will have to sit in a parking lot for 72 hours before you can drive it to Canada.

The best thing to do would be to have him mail the (title + 2 copies (front/back) + bill of sale) to the US customs so the 72 BUSINESS hours delay will have passed when the time comes to drive the car to Canada. Then you can go ahead and provide the appropriate paperwork to the Canada border agents, pay the taxes and then proceed with the inspections later on.

^ this, but he can only send the papers if you're sure you're gonna take the car. if not you can still park the car in champlain for 3 days, there's a spot you can store your car for pretty much 8$ of day, it's a place known to people who import cars. I can ask to know whats it called.

^ this, but he can only send the papers if you're sure you're gonna take the car. if not you can still park the car in champlain for 3 days, there's a spot you can store your car for pretty much 8$ of day, it's a place known to people who import cars. I can ask to know whats it called.

He said the guy is going to Vermont, so the car would most likely go through Derby Line/Stanstead, not Champlain/Lacolle. ;)

The place you're talking about in Champlain is the Peterbilt truck stop/scale.

you will still need to go to the border, so it's useless to have him drive up to here.

easiest is to meet him near the border, and you take it from there. It's frikken easy to import a car.

My ex- Focus was a american plated car already here in MTL when I purchased it. The owner had returned home, but left me the full title and a signed bill of sale. I researched and found I could do the transfer at the main office of Canada customs in Old Montreal.

I didn't even need to have the car with me (as it was not mobile) but brought lots of pics, and my paperwork ...it went very well (inside 1 hour) , all I had to pay out was the taxes on book value, and the federal a/c excise tax. They then send you the necessary paperwork by mail, to proceed with the 2 mandatory inspections before plating.

My ex- Focus was a american plated car already here in MTL when I purchased it. The owner had returned home, but left me the full title and a signed bill of sale. I researched and found I could do the transfer at the main office of Canada customs in Old Montreal.

I didn't even need to have the car with me (as it was not mobile) but brought lots of pics, and my paperwork ...it went very well (inside 1 hour) , all I had to pay out was the taxes on book value, and the federal a/c excise tax. They then send you the necessary paperwork by mail, to proceed with the 2 mandatory inspections before plating.

You will still have to be there at customs when the car crosses the boarder to clear customs on it. It used to be that you could simply bring the necessary documents to customs in Old-Montreal and clear it there, but for the past few years, the car has to be present for you to be able to clear it through. In other words, if he drives it to Montreal, you will have to drive it back to the US to clear customs but you cannot legally drive it, so you would have to tow it.

My bad (time passes so quickly eh) guess I should add then that my cars importation happened 4 years ago....maybe things have changed ????? ;)

you have to meet the US-side officers to "export" the car from the US. and this cannot be done in Old Motnreal.

Yeah,

That's what I thought. I'm going to have to send the papers ahead of time and import the car.

ll I had to pay out was the taxes on book value,

Are you serious,its not on what you have paid for???,if you had a bargain on a salvage car that you paid $9,000,they going to Tax you on the Book value ?

Is it the same taxation on Salvage and Clean title ?

^I believe so,

But with the american dollar being what it is, A 2007 Sti is about 4 grand less and than here.

Back