Where to rent Tow Dolly (Besides Uhaul)

FieroAlex

Legacy Member
Alright I need to find a light weight tow dolly.

I only have a towing capacity of 2400lbs.

I need to tow a car from Toronto to Montreal that normally is around 2500lbs however this particular one is a frame only. (absolutly no body panels and no interior). Basically it’s just a frame with a steering wheel sticking out of the firewall and an engine/tranny. I estimate the weight at about 1700lbs.

The Uhaul dolly weighs 750lbs but I need a class II hitch (3500lbs) to be able to rent it.

Does anyone know anywhere else that I can rent a tow dolly besides uHaul?

Thanks

bonne idee, j'ai pas verifier loutec mais j'ai verifier d'autre centre de location d'equipment a Laval et il n'ont que des remorque et pas de dolly. Je vais tenter ma chance voir. Merci

Essaye les différents u-haul, en personne. Y'en a qui doivent moins checker que d'autres. J'ai cherché la semaine passée pour une place autre que uhaul pour remorquer ma moto et j'ai rien trouvé.

Alright so I tried a different uhaul location today, I'm telling you they messed up big time when doing the calculations. I told them I'm wasn't sure I could pull their dolly with a car and I asked them to check in their system. They entered that I had a 5000lbs hitch and that my towing weight would be 2850lbs and that I was fine to rent But they never checked my car for the hitch class or asked what my rating was. I assume I could rent the dolly from this place pretty easily since they don't seem to care.

My question is, would you guys feel safe pulling a car for 9hours that has a total weight (with the dolly) of 2850lbs with a hitch designed for 2400lbs? I assume there are big enough safety margins built in the the rating system so that it would be somewhat safe but I still feel somewhat uneasy about it.

Subaru Baja Turbo manual trans.

It's based on a Subaru Outback.

Subaru Outback has a 3500lbs towing Capacity, however Subaru only gives the Baja 2400lbs. We have the same frame base, suspention, brakes and I have a bigger engine. I don't know where they get their tow ratings from.

moi je te dis d oublier ca...
de un en general U-haul vont verifier le char quand tu vas venir pour louer le dolly, car question d assurance il ne voudront pas te laisser partir si tu es pas conforme.
de deux si tu as le malheur de rencontrer des bonhommes verts sur la route tu es plus que cuits. Disons qu ils connaissent leur affaire et leur tikets sont assez salés; sans compter qu avec la periode de dégel en fonctions ils sont plus presents sur la route.

moi je te dis d oublier ca...
de un en general U-haul vont verifier le char quand tu vas venir pour louer le dolly, car question d assurance il ne voudront pas te laisser partir si tu es pas conforme.
de deux si tu as le malheur de rencontrer des bonhommes verts sur la route tu es plus que cuits. Disons qu ils connaissent leur affaire et leur tikets sont assez salés; sans compter qu avec la periode de dégel en fonctions ils sont plus presents sur la route.

ses quoi le raport des bohomme vert lol c'est un Dolly pas un 53"

ca change rien, ils ont le pouvoir d arreter quiconque, pas juste les vans.
donc ils peuvent l arreter et lui donner un gentil ticket.

just to warn you ....but a non-plated car on a dolly where the wheels touch the road is completely illegal.....with the number of cops on the T.O. to MTL route you are bound to be nabbed!!

Personally if I were you I'd look into getting a full platform style trailer (which will pull on a 9hr trip 1000x better/easier/legally) or even looking into maybe 14' cube van if the shell would fit into it and you can properly secure the cargo...

Back