Impreza

I clay bared her today. I'll put the summer and give her a wax tomorrow. I was so impressed by how well the paint held up, but the front bumper is riddled with rock chips. Highway driving ftw.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

I put my Summers and the new Rally Armor mudflaps.

The paint really held up great.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

The yellow Spec R1 isn't mine, it's a friends. He picked it up 3 days ago.

Okay, I fixed the MudFlaps, It wasn't fun to do it under the rain, but a poncho did the trick. I had put them upside down :run:

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Thanks. If only it moved faster, I'd be a happy man.

Unless you're tracking it, or heading to the strip, why bother? More power = more trouble.

I used to be like you, always wanting more. I had a slow Sentra and dreamed of a VQ35DE swap to run 12s. Then I realized, I probably wouldn't even go to the strip. Why do you want the power? To be able to show off at the meets? To be able to race on the highways at night? Or just because you know that other guys have it, and you're not as fast?

Then I bought my Jeep, and installed 29'' offroad tires. Then I saw guys running 33s, and wanted a giant lift and big tires. Then I realized that I'm only going to drive it offroad a few times a year, so they are really no use to me. I'm not finished with it, but I realized what I really need.

Not trying to threadjack, my point is it's easy to ALWAYS want more. The hard thing to do every once in a while is take a step back and realize what you actually have. The problem with forums is that no matter what you have, somebody's always going to have something better, which will always leave you wanting more. At the end of the day, though, you have to figure out what really matters for you... If you're going to do a 6K STi swap just so you can tell people about it on MR, is it really worth it? Obviously, if it's something you really want for yourself as well, then by all means go for it! I'm not judging or bashing because I suffer from the same thing as you, but sometimes it really helps to put things into perspective, and what has to be said about your car is it's clean as hell, and the work you've put into it has definitely paid off.

^^ it's a disease we all have.

unfortunately, you only learn to control it over time, and only after you make a few "mistakes."

sick impreza btw. so clean!

^^ it's a disease we all have.

unfortunately, you only learn to control it over time, and only after you make a few "mistakes."

sick impreza btw. so clean!

It's horrible man... It gets to the point where you see other people's cars, and, in reality you LOVE yours, but when you see what others have done to theirs, you couldn't give a shit about yours anymore. Discouraging, but reality, and it gets to a point where you just want to get as many parts and things for your ride as possible, because there's always something better than what you have.

It's an internet thing. Meanwhile, the car enthusiasts who don't frequent forums much are perfectly happy with their machines, no matter how much power they're putting down, or how big their truck is.

All I can say is od_man, you're on and off the fence about selling/swapping, and I know how you feel. What always helps me is a nice day to wash/detail/work on my car for hours, and a fun little road trip afterwards. You'll get a break from the guys telling you to swap and make 300hp, and you'll enjoy your car for what it is.

Personally I'd swap it. RSTis mod for mod pull bus lengths on GDs and they handle better not to mention you have a solid base you've spent money on...

It's horrible man... It gets to the point where you see other people's cars, and, in reality you LOVE yours, but when you see what others have done to theirs, you couldn't give a shit about yours anymore. Discouraging, but reality, and it gets to a point where you just want to get as many parts and things for your ride as possible, because there's always something better than what you have.

It's an internet thing. Meanwhile, the car enthusiasts who don't frequent forums much are perfectly happy with their machines, no matter how much power they're putting down, or how big their truck is.

All I can say is od_man, you're on and off the fence about selling/swapping, and I know how you feel. What always helps me is a nice day to wash/detail/work on my car for hours, and a fun little road trip afterwards. You'll get a break from the guys telling you to swap and make 300hp, and you'll enjoy your car for what it is.

I had a fast car, I don't know how to explain it, but the power is fun to have, it's a trill to smash the pedal and feel the car jerk and push, it's like a drug, you always want more. What I also miss is knowing it's there, the sound, the backfire (yes the eclipse use to spit flames due to running a tad rich etc..)

But I know exactly what you mean.

Personally I'd swap it. RSTis mod for mod pull bus lengths on GDs and they handle better not to mention you have a solid base you've spent money on...

It's so damn light, I do 500km on 40 liters of gas, and the car is actually fun under 50 km/h but after that, it just falls flat. I know I'll end up swapping it, it's just a matter of time.

But for now, it runs.

Drove to work with the Summer tires. God the difference is always surprising. Although every bump is felt now...

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

dscn1507d.jpg

od_man it looks beautiful :') I have a massive soft spot for any first gen Impreza's

I lurked your thread briefly and noticed that you are contemplating on keeping it. Montrealb15 makes some awesome points and I too suffer from some of the issues he has mentioned, owning a Mazda and all but at the end of the day I do love my car despite times where i complain about its power or look or whatever, thats just me being irrational!

I too feel as if my car is down on "serious" power, I mean I have the same amount as you do but without the awd of course and at times, I have loads of fun but other times I wish I had the extra 100 or so hp that a speed3 offers and it is discouraging because the extra power is fun!

When you do think about it though, it is a bit useless. How many times will you be redlining, accelerating or speeding fast? Not that often, perhaps once a commute if anything. So aside from the physical thrill it essentially isn't the power you're looking for but rather the removal of that limitation that prohibits you of committing such acts. That's my take at least.

Anyways, an RSTi idea would be mad!

The GC has a slightly smaller wheelbase over the second and third gen(matter of fractions of an inch) and when it comes to handling, anything helps!

The weight difference is awesome as well, ranging from 2-4 hundred pound weight differences over modern series! With that big of a difference, the power to weight ratio is bound to make a massive difference!

Also the fact that almost everything bolts on is awesome so you can take your time to add whatever :)

When you do think about it though, it is a bit useless. How many times will you be redlining, accelerating or speeding fast? Not that often, perhaps once a commute if anything. So aside from the physical thrill it essentially isn't the power you're looking for but rather the removal of that limitation that prohibits you of committing such acts. That's my take at least.

That was probably the best worded advice I've ever seen on this forum. Thank you very much.

The thought of having 300awhp does sometimes linger in my head. My issue is the price of a swap, around 7k for an Ej205 from a newer WRX.

That was probably the best worded advice I've ever seen on this forum. Thank you very much.

The thought of having 300awhp does sometimes linger in my head. My issue is the price of a swap, around 7k for an Ej205 from a newer WRX.

Thanks od_man, really appreciate that!

That would be the result of many of my hours spent thinking and writing(I happen to be a writer)

I constantly analyze and reflect on situations related to the auto industry and that of my own in order to better understand ones methodology and reasoning, it keeps me entertained haha

Much like you, I have placed myself in a state of no-mans land. I love my car, it's great. However I want that ability to have a million horses under my right foot if I so choose. After thinking about it and justifying the real reason I wanted it (as said above) I deemed it was also not financially smart. I would rather keep the reliability, fuel economy and comfort in exchange for those small moments to fly.

However I have come to a happy medium, after all the end goal isn't what's most important but rather the journey to achieve it.

In compensation for power, I have decided to aim my sights at another aspect that most people over look: weight. I want to be able to accelerate/have the same thrill as an STi with 300+ hp but in a smaller package; lower common denominator. That is why I am considering small cars as an alternative to massive power.

Just an example, an AW11 Toyota MR2 with a swapped 3sgte engine will accelerate faster then a lotus exige, crazy to think about. It's all about power to weight ratio.

This is one of the reasons I have been so turned onto Kei cars recently, much like the March superturbo or honda city turbo II. They weigh next to nothing and still manage to crank out 130hp. I have yet to drive one but based on a few mods, their power to weight ratio is astonishing and can achieve awesome results. Since they are so light weight and some being awd, their agility and nimbleness is also, very impressive!

So what I plan on doing is one of a few things: save up some cash to improve my mazda's swag, save up cash for another car and for mods for it.

I'm considering a Mazda familia GTR, which when properly restored/tuned is almost illegal, an Impreza 2.5rs rsti swap, ek civic track build or even an MR2.

The added benefits of two cars satisfies everything I'm looking for without subtracting from either car. It's very difficult to build an all round amazing car for everything you want because obviously it will lack in certain areas, which is why having two counters that very idea. The only negative aspect it affects, is your wallet. Personally I have the patience for it despite my temper tantrums every now and then and I know it will all be worth it!

I'm not suggesting you should consider doing similar to me but rather understand that one car cannot satisfy all your needs to its fullest.

Perhaps save up for another Impreza and swap that instead :)

Forget the price of the swap, I was burning at least $100 of fuel per WEEK in my STI. Now that gas is at $1.50, I can barely justify using it once a week.

It sucks when you have to wonder "is it worth $10-15 in gas to go downtown". Or worse, $40-60 to go skiing for a day. It adds up quick.

The fuel savings are paying the plates/insurance on my Bike and Impreza wagon...

hmmm.....interesting. Seriously Od_Man, if you want a fast but Reliable setup, go with a swap. Specifically V7 JDM. Very strong motor, and i highly recommend going with a 6 speed STI transmission and not the older 5 speed. Knock on wood no issues with mine, and no regrets, Absolutely love it. If you got questions, dont hesitate to ask

^How much would do per L?

On a 55L tank:

Worst: 325 Km so ~17L/100KM. That's Denali territory. That's disgusting.
Best: 550 KM so ~11L/100km. Windows up, A/C off, light on the gas and 100% highway.

Average is ~425KM so ~14L/100 KM. @ $1.55 for supreme, that's $22/100KM. I'd rather make it rain.

make-it-rain-guys.gif

Back