News: BMW M5 Unofficially Crowned World's Fastest Sedan With 7:55 Nurburgring Lap Time

J'ai essayer :
une M3 SMG et manuelle
une GTI DSG et Manuelle..

Quand même bien que la double clutch soit plus rapide et plus performante.... Nevermind! J'ai beaucoup plus de plaisir avec une Manuelle. Il y a rien qui bât le feeling d'avoir le ''controle sur ta bête'' de la troisième pédales et du bras de vitesse.

Que se soit 0.4 secondes plus lent... je m'en fou!
Ce que je recherche sur un véhicule c'est le plaisir avant tout et je n'ai pas le même niveau de fun avec une Double clutch même si j'aime très bien cette technologie

My 2 cent.

Both SMG & DSG are somewhat inferior compared to DCT IMO.

Last edited:
In all the performance saloons out there, your statement might be correct, but the M5 often attracts a bit of a different breed, the previous gen with the V10 also had a manual version available after the first year of production, they are somewhat popular in this particular beast.

x2

I don't understand why people are going nuts over this. BMW announced that they wont be dropping real manuals anytime soon in any of their M cars.

Euh?!?!?!?

That makes no sens wtf are you saying...

The F10 M5 is gonna rip tits

The E60 needs to be SMG to take advantage of the high end power. (7 gears ftw)

But this rendition I would take the car with the 3rd pedal since full torque is available at 1500RPM

Am i the only one that is mehhhhh on the interior?

attachment.php

I used to be a die hard fan of the good old manual gearbox.

Two weeks ago, I drove an ABT tuned Audi S4 Avant (440hp) to 220 KM/h on ze autobahn in Germany. The double clutch/paddle shift really impressed me. It was very responsive and the shifting was f*ing quick. Since the roads are never straight for long in Germany, I was happy to have both hands on the wheel and not have to juggle with the gearbox. At those speeds, shit can happen fast !

So in Germany, I would go fro double clutch, but anywhere else with speed limits, manual would probably be my choice.

Both SMG & DSG are somewhat inferior compared to DCT IMO.

Yeah, it won't shift from 1-2, that's much better.... :rolleyes:

Am i the only one that is mehhhhh on the interior?

Actually, I drove around in a 550i yesterday for like 20 minutes and holy shit, what a great car. I can't imagine how good it would be with the M treatment!!

Oh and the interior is amazing.

Update:

2012+BMW+M5+53.jpg

With a BMW factory driver behind the wheel of BMW's new M5, the luxury sedan has reportedly turned in a lap time of 7:55 around the famed Nurburgring. This makes it the world's fastest sedan, ahead of Porsche's Panamera Turbo (7:56) and Cadillac's CTS-V (7:59), and puts it on par of other supercars such as Ferrari's F430 and is even one second quicker than Porsche's 996 Turbo.

Powered by a 4.4L V8 twin turbo engine, this accomplishment proves BMW's M-models have hardly skipped a beat against the competition. It will be interesting to see how BMW's competitors respond with their next-generation sedans, but it clearly proves that the Germany automaker's devotion to twin turbo powerplants is paying off.

A word of caution; the time is in no way an official BMW number and we can't verify the validity of the source (FastestLaps.com). It's almost not necessary, however, with the new M5 almost certain to run a solid sub-eight minute lap around the Ring.
Read the whole story at AutoGuide.com

And you can drive faster in video games than you can in real life, so why speed while you drive?

It's about the feeling, actually being involved in it, not just sitting there and observing as a machine drives for you, not the other way around.

+1

Never buying an automatic unless I get a nice deal on a double-clutch or my left leg gets removed in a tragic accident.

Manual Tranny FTW

you do know that most high end sports cars come with automatic transmissions that are much more performant than manual?

actually most of them come with paddle shifters now and if you wanna talk about a high end sports car that performs well lets talk about the zr1 one of the fastest supercars, and it comes MANUAL

Rien bat le son d'un moteur N/A mais avec le turbo les nouvelles BMW = win

Last edited:
The F10 M5 is gonna rip tits

The E60 needs to be SMG to take advantage of the high end power. (7 gears ftw)

But this rendition I would take the car with the 3rd pedal since full torque is available at 1500RPM

What he said. And although, for the sake of the manual transmission Enthusiasts, the E60 came available in Manual in the later models. Even though its not as fast as the BMW SMG, I'd still go for the manual just for the thrill of that screaming V10. But the E39 will always stay in my heart.

Back