Mk5 gti vs mk5 r32

m_falafel

I'm in the market for a new small car that can still provide some fun when i want to.

Gti's are in the 17k to 19k$ range with 40 000 to 79 000 km's

R32's are in the 24k to 26k$ range with about the same km's.

Is the R32 worth the few thousand dollars premium?

I already have an f-350 in the winter since i have a snow removal company.

I usually am a turbo guy, but the sound and torque of the 3.2 are juste woowww.

I'd take both of them with the dsg.

I want your opinions, and my choice is strcky between these two cars. I don't even want to hear a single thing about honda (shrug).

I'd take the R32 because FWD bore me. But a DSG R32 is not the most exciting car either. Have you test-driven it? It's an ok commuter with a decent engine but there isn't anything ''sporty'' about the car.

There are no manual r32 in north america. But i think some did the swap. Honestly i always was a "manual only" guy until i tried a dsg gti 2 days ago. It's impressive, there's litteraly no delay while shifting. Even guys like 5th gear and top gear found it very impressive. I can totally imagine myself on a track day with a dsg having as much fun as guys with the stick shift.

Anyone here tried the r32? I'd like some feedback.

If you don't mind spending the extra coin, sure, some more power,sound and AWD would be great but personally i think that the MK5 GTI is one of the best cars ever made, not for the price but period.

For me, it would only be a financial decision as to the amount i wanted to spent at that time but would be just fine with a GTI as a play car.

Yeah gti + chip and limited slip woukd be pretty hot. But at the same time r32 is so unique. I jimp evrytime i see one on the street.

VR6 sounds so nice but DSG may overheat on the race track.
AWD is much better than FWD.

6-8000 $ price difference for "almost the same car"... Have to think twice

Unitronic ont une chip pour les DSG. J'ai pas encore eu l'occasion de constater moi-meme la différence, mais on m'a dit que c'était beaucoup plus trippant.

Unitronic ont une chip pour les DSG. J'ai pas encore eu l'occasion de constater moi-meme la différence, mais on m'a dit que c'était beaucoup plus trippant.

J'mexcuse mais que le char soit dsg ou manuel ca change absolument rien pour la chip.

Pis tu parle de la gti ou r32 la. Pcq encore la, des gti chippes ca court les rues lol

J'mexcuse mais que le char soit dsg ou manuel ca change absolument rien pour la chip.

Je m'excuse, mais le garage ou je travaille est dépositaire Unitronic... donc je dois savoir de quoi je parle!

Les tranny automatiques ont un ordinateur indépendant... les DSG ne font pas exception a la règle. Les shift-points changent avec la chip, le cut-off est plus haut, le kick-down est enlevé, le rpm du launch-control est augmenté, pus besoin de ''up-shifter'' en mode manuel, ect...

http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/main/fr/files/79_2006-2008_volkswagen_r32_mk5_32l_24v_250hp.html

Last edited:
C'est sûr et certain que la R32 est mieux. La seule question est: est-ce que tu es prêt à mettre le prix? Toi seul peut y répondre.

Quand je vois une gti dans la rue je trouve ca ben normal, par contre quand je vois une r32 je capote (quel sons!)

Jai deja conduit une golf 1.8t chippé et jai pas trippé plus qui faut, jaimais bcp plus ma wrx stage 2 que je possedais dans le temps.

Bref jirais pour le 6 et la traction intégral

r32 all the way

I have a MKV R32.

1. At first I was disappointed that it only came with DSG, but after a month of driving the car, I must say I love it more and more. It shifts SOOO quickly and effortlessly. If you can get your hand on a GIAC chip for the DSG, it will tremendously improve performance over stock as it will shift ever harder and faster but just as safe. It will take full advantage of the mechatronic valve body and make the shifts faster than ever. It will also bump the rev limiter to 6500rpm for launch control. You can say what you want, but DSG is faster, smoother and great if you do lots of driving.

2. the Brakes, are simply monstrous. I mean it, huge fucking breaks that break sooooo hard. Plus they're blue.

3. The addition gadgets over the GTI, there's a few cool gadgets over the GTI, my fav, the headlamp washers. Probalby useless but soo cool.

4. The 4-motion haldex based system. What a great AWD system. Gives soo much grip it's amazing. I can't wait to drive the can in the winter! I can say this though, the car is amazing on gravel, dirt and sandy roads.

5. The engine, the linear power band, the torque, the low-end power and torque is simply amazing.

6. The exhaust note, even if i didn't own one, the .:R32 would still be in my top 5 best sounding cars.

7. Exclusivity.

8. Resale value. a 2004 GTI sells for 9K. A 2004 R32 with more mileage will sale for 19.

9. I own one.

I have a MKV R32.

1. At first I was disappointed that it only came with DSG, but after a month of driving the car, I must say I love it more and more. It shifts SOOO quickly and effortlessly. If you can get your hand on a GIAC chip for the DSG, it will tremendously improve performance over stock as it will shift ever harder and faster but just as safe. It will take full advantage of the mechatronic valve body and make the shifts faster than ever. It will also bump the rev limiter to 6500rpm for launch control. You can say what you want, but DSG is faster, smoother and great if you do lots of driving.

2. the Brakes, are simply monstrous. I mean it, huge fucking breaks that break sooooo hard. Plus they're blue.

3. The addition gadgets over the GTI, there's a few cool gadgets over the GTI, my fav, the headlamp washers. Probalby useless but soo cool.

4. The 4-motion haldex based system. What a great AWD system. Gives soo much grip it's amazing. I can't wait to drive the can in the winter! I can say this though, the car is amazing on gravel, dirt and sandy roads.

5. The engine, the linear power band, the torque, the low-end power and torque is simply amazing.

6. The exhaust note, even if i didn't own one, the .:R32 would still be in my top 5 best sounding cars.

7. Exclusivity.

8. Resale value. a 2004 GTI sells for 9K. A 2004 R32 with more mileage will sale for 19.

9. I own one.

Jpense pas quon peu comparer la valeur de revente dune r32 mk4 avec une mk5. Oui cest un criss de char les r32 mk4, mais sont tu overpriced rien quun peu?! A ce prix la tu te pognes une s4

Moi quand on me dit r32, jpense tout de suite a une mk4. Cest eux qui ont bati la réputation de la R. Les mk5 sont pas offerte en 6 speed manual et ont un look bcp moins badass que les mk4.

Tu veux une belle mk4? soit pret a payer 20k, pis elle va avoir au moins 100-150 000 kilos. mk5 sont deja a moins de 25k avec bcp moins de kilometrage.

Back