some questions regarded a car i might pick up this week

Trupower Distribution

My aunts bf wants to get rid of his 89 caprice classic things he said that will need fixing are the back drivers brake it seems to be seized will roll but smokes out the drum. Is this just the springs need greasing or brake cylinder? Also the 4 springs are tired is it hard to find new springs also is it hard to change? last thing he says is it needs a tune up but when we get on to the on ramp it really takes time to pick up speed it's a 305 injected. How can i check to see if the motor is not tired? Thanks for the help.

For all the parts you'll need, visit http://www.rockauto.com/. They've got every existing part for american/domestic cars and the cheapest prices.
The springs are somewhat easy to change... if you have a lift. Up front, it can be changed using a jack and a candle and the usual tools, but at the rear... you'll have put the car on candles, remove the leaf springs first, loose the shock absorbers and then drop the differential with a jack. Replace springs and put everything back together.
As for the brakes... does it slow down the car? Or does it simply smoke?
Usually, I wouldn't be surprised about a lack of power from the 305... if it was carburated. But since it's injected, I do have my doubts. Have you checked if it had proper fire at each cylinder? Worn spark plugs or a faulty distributor could be your problem. Watch out for cracks in the distributor cap, worn rotor.
If it doesn't solve the problem, checking the fuel delivery system is the next step (clogged injectors, clogged fuel filter, weak fuel pump, etc.).

How much mileage does it have? Was it a daily driver or did it sat in the backyard for a while?

it has 180 xxxkm's and it has been sitting for 6 months i didn't end up taking the car lights wouldnt come on he tried changing the steering wheel fucked up the ground on the horn. Not for me. Thanks for the info though.

Back