MK5 TDI chip + reliability?

stevester1

I'm thinking of chipping my 2006 TDI jetta (stock and has DSG). I'm leaning towards unitronic since a few shops in Montreal will do it. Can anybody comment on how it affects the car's reliability? I want to keep this car for as long as possible (a good 2 or 3 more years), but not at the expense of replacing worn out parts due to a chip. I'm not building a dragster, this is just for a little more fun on the highway.

I've tried searching Google and MR as much as possible and I've had no luck.

Thanks

On en a chippé plusieurs a date. Les clients sont extremement satisfaits! Ya aucune raison de craindre un bris du a ca.

Unitronic stage 2 sans catalyseur c'est impressionnant sur un TDI!

Do it. I warn you, you will regret all of the time you spent without a chip.

Keep in mind that the car was not designed to hold that extra power. If you abuse it, you will wear out your car faster. If you keep driving your car the same way you are now, you will not affect the reliability of your car in the least bit.

Chipped my car the afternoon i picked it up from the dealer. best $500 ever.

Keep in mind that the car was not designed to hold that extra power. If you abuse it, you will wear out your car faster.

Other than keeping my foot off the pedal, is there anything I can do on my end to avoid the wear? Maybe change certain parts, etc? Other than the chip, I'm not looking to get extra power, so if I change any parts it wouldn't be for HP gains, but solely for reliability. I seriously don't want to have to replace my turbo or tranny lol...

Thanks

Other than keeping my foot off the pedal, is there anything I can do on my end to avoid the wear? Maybe change certain parts, etc? Other than the chip, I'm not looking to get extra power, so if I change any parts it wouldn't be for HP gains, but solely for reliability. I seriously don't want to have to replace my turbo or tranny lol...

Thanks

No parts need to be changed on the TDI - not even the diverter valve. The Clutch will need some loving (replacing) eventually. At that point you can upgrade it.

Don't worry too much about the extra wear. Go have fun, that's the point of the chip. So long as you aren't red light drag racing every time one turns green you have little to worry about.

I highly recommend a cone intake. Nothing to do with reliability...it just sounds AWESOME.

If you need some extra convincing and find yourself in the downtown area shoot me a pm I will be happy to take you for a ride.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm placing my appointment with unitronic asap , good community you guys got going here.

sheepszies, i'm defs sending you a pm.

Je le répète encore une fois: tu n'as ABSOLUMENT RIEN a craindre... le char sera pas moins fiable a cause de la chip. Pas sur un TDI... surtout que tu n'as pas de transmission manuelle (les flywheel dual-mass de Volks sont fragiles). Tu pourrais meme chipper ta DSG aussi...

Par-contre; sa arrive régulièrement qu'un coil pète lors des road-tests après avoir chippé des Volks/Audi... mais toi tu n'as aucun soucis a te faire puisque tu n'as pas de coils! lol

Silly Question: After chipping if you dont gun it will the Diesel gas consumption be the same as before?

And when you gun it is the gas consumption really bad?

Some say the gas consumption gets better with a chip when you drive efficiently. I chipped my car the first day so I can't say for sure - I consistently average just under 6.0L/100km and on the highway I can see as low as 4.7L/100km - depends on how heavy my foot is. I also have an un-chipped TDI of the same year but it has no MFA so I have no means of comparison.

When you floor any chipped car, you will always burn more fuel than the same car without a chip. However with the TDI it's not that noticeable.

With my old 1.8T - you could literally see the fuel gauge go down when you had the pedal on the floor. With the TDI it's obviously much, much better.

On the other hand, I have been commuting to and from work at 10km each way for the past week (efficiently) and my fuel gauge needle hasn't moved from 1/4 tank.
What i'm saying is that in a diesel, it's normal to forget to check your fuel level since it never really changes, anyway - with or without chip.

En conduite NORMALE; un char chippé Unitronic est supposé donner environ 10% d'économie... (encore la ya plusieurs facteurs qui entrent en ligne de compte). J'étais moi-meme septique au début. Mais j'ai eu du feedback de plusieurs de mes clients qui me confirment qu'ils ont obtenu une diminution de la consommation d'essence en conduite normale. Pour les TDI; j'ai plusieurs clients qui sont des ''bonhommes'' d'un certain age.... et qui chippent leur char non pour la performance, mais pour l'économie d'essence. 2 d'entre-eux m'ont dit qu'ils fesaient environ 300 km de plus avec un plein de diesel sur la grand-route.

En conduite NORMALE; un char chippé Unitronic est supposé donner environ 10% d'économie... (encore la ya plusieurs facteurs qui entrent en ligne de compte). J'étais moi-meme septique au début. Mais j'ai eu du feedback de plusieurs de mes clients qui me confirment qu'ils ont obtenu une diminution de la consommation d'essence en conduite normale. Pour les TDI; j'ai plusieurs clients qui sont des ''bonhommes'' d'un certain age.... et qui chippent leur char non pour la performance, mais pour l'économie d'essence. 2 d'entre-eux m'ont dit qu'ils fesaient environ 300 km de plus avec un plein de diesel sur la grand-route.

300km de plus? Incroyable!

Moi j'ai jamais fait ca. J'ai aussi des pneus 235 au lieu des 195 d'origine...ca aide pas du tout ca.

Back