M5 Crash (old story )

SRB-TEAM

found this thread , that just crazy . :run:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...rash-no-more-alpine-white-e61-m5-touring.html

Hi Guys,

As some of you may know I had a serious crash in my M5 Touring in mid July this summer. The car got totalled. Thought I 'd share some details and photos with you all.

To start with the most important thing: we were 3 in the car: my wife, my 7month old daughter and me - nobody got hurt, not even a scratch. Thank God (and BMW safety...)

Here's the story:
Sunny saturday afternoon, 4 pm, 35 degrees celsius, 2 lane autobahn, medium traffic in both lanes, me going in the left lane. I was travelling easy at about 180 km/h (okay, okay, show me one member here who sticks to the limits), talking with my wife, when suddenly I heard a loud bang from the right side. I lifted my foot off the gas (do not like to drive using Cruise Control) and that's when it all immediately started. The car was thrown out to the left, started spinning anti-clockwise. My wife told me later she saw me trying to countersteer, apparently it was worthless. The car hit the armco and the front airbags were blown. No more vision (grey dust everywhere), temporary deafness (airbags blown), no more steering wheel - and the car still spinning uncontrollably at 140km/h sideways !!! We hit the front and back of the car several times, slided off to the right side, then flipped over 2 times - until the car stopped. All airbags were blown out. One of the photos shows how we stopped and got out.

We did not hit any major obstacle, nor did anyone crash into us during the spinning. The rear left wheel got torn out and you can see the rest.... The crash felt like it lasted forever...

Police and tyre experts later confirmed the accident was caused by a puncture to the rear right tyre. A tiny little hole, that let the air out slowly, then the inside of the rim cut through the tyre, that's when all the pressure was lost suddenly. TPM did not give any warning whatsoever though and the car did not behave in any strange ways beforehand!! Experts said these kind of puncture accidents have a 70% death rate of at least 1 person...

Anyway, I've been thanking God ever since to have survived this crap. I still can't explain to myself what I should have been doing differently.... I did have insurance, they've paid me already, and I sold the wreck. (Almost) Forgot the whole stuff, but did not want to post anything until the police investigation was over.

We did some short consideration with my wife, and decided to get the same car - different color. It is arriving in a couple of weeks, in Diopside Black and Rust Brown full perforated leather. Gonna post photos asap.

50166d1248682896t-photos-story-autobahn-crash-no-more-alpine-white-e61-m5-touring-image165.jpg

50167d1248682896t-photos-story-autobahn-crash-no-more-alpine-white-e61-m5-touring-sony-camera-2007-05-01-003.jpg

50168d1248682896t-photos-story-autobahn-crash-no-more-alpine-white-e61-m5-touring-sony-camera-2007-05-01-005.jpg

50169d1248682896t-photos-story-autobahn-crash-no-more-alpine-white-e61-m5-touring-sony-camera-2007-05-01-010.jpg

50170d1248682896t-photos-story-autobahn-crash-no-more-alpine-white-e61-m5-touring-sony-camera-2007-05-01-013.jpg

50171d1248682896t-photos-story-autobahn-crash-no-more-alpine-white-e61-m5-touring-sony-camera-2007-05-01-014.jpg

50172d1248682896t-photos-story-autobahn-crash-no-more-alpine-white-e61-m5-touring-sony-camera-2007-05-01-015.jpg

50173d1248682896t-photos-story-autobahn-crash-no-more-alpine-white-e61-m5-touring-sony-camera-2007-05-01-018.jpg

50174d1248682896t-photos-story-autobahn-crash-no-more-alpine-white-e61-m5-touring-sony-camera-2007-05-01-022.jpg

"I still can't explain to myself what I should have been doing differently" How about starting not to drive 180 km/h with your wife and kid in the car, dipshit moron.. theres speeding and then theres speeding. i say hes an idiot

"I still can't explain to myself what I should have been doing differently" How about starting not to drive 180 km/h with your wife and kid in the car, dipshit moron.. theres speeding and then theres speeding. i say hes an idiot

And I think you're a hypocrite and here's why. You are arbitrarily supporting the decision that it's "ok" to have a certain number of deaths on the road.

Otherwise, here's what you would be advocating:

1. Assume there are studies that show that there are ZERO ( 0 ) fatalities when you travel at 40 or 45km/h
2. We want to have ZERO deaths, we therefore impose speed limits of 40 or 45km/h

We don't do that, therefore someone somewhere is willing to sacrifice convenience ( getting places fast) for deaths. Some politicians ( or maybe all of us ) is "comfortable" with having 10 people die per month as an offset to having somewhat reasonable speed limits.

The problem with this argument is in the word "comfortable". Who decides what number of deaths is ok to have ? If we really want ZERO deaths, then lower all speeds to 40km/h or even lower and the problem is solved.

Speed limits are just a cash cow and a make-shift band-aid against inadequate driver testing and poor vehicle inspection rules.

Now, before you jump on my case and claim that the accident would have been less severe were the guy going 60km/h, let me agree with you. It's true. But that's hindsight reasoning. Truth is that he just had bad luck, and that can happen to anyone, traveling at any speed. You can just as easily go off a cliff at 40km/h and kill yourself.

Sa met deja arriver aussi une balloune dans le pneu de ma 545i, je l'aurait jamais su si javait pas passé au dealer elle attendait de me pétté dans la face.

Non le Sensor de la voiture a rien detecté, jme dit que sa doit etre goodyear qui font de la scrap.

And I think you're a hypocrite and here's why. You are arbitrarily supporting the decision that it's "ok" to have a certain number of deaths on the road.

Otherwise, here's what you would be advocating:

1. Assume there are studies that show that there are ZERO ( 0 ) fatalities when you travel at 40 or 45km/h
2. We want to have ZERO deaths, we therefore impose speed limits of 40 or 45km/h

We don't do that, therefore someone somewhere is willing to sacrifice convenience ( getting places fast) for deaths. Some politicians ( or maybe all of us ) is "comfortable" with having 10 people die per month as an offset to having somewhat reasonable speed limits.

The problem with this argument is in the word "comfortable". Who decides what number of deaths is ok to have ? If we really want ZERO deaths, then lower all speeds to 40km/h or even lower and the problem is solved.

Speed limits are just a cash cow and a make-shift band-aid against inadequate driver testing and poor vehicle inspection rules.

Now, before you jump on my case and claim that the accident would have been less severe were the guy going 60km/h, let me agree with you. It's true. But that's hindsight reasoning. Truth is that he just had bad luck, and that can happen to anyone, traveling at any speed. You can just as easily go off a cliff at 40km/h and kill yourself.

props.anybody hhere whos claims he would be driving a 100km/h on a limitless road with a M5 is highly hypocrit.

Have to say though about your argument on speed limits and death rate, the death rate in germany are lower than here. The difference? anual inspection

props.anybody hhere whos claims he would be driving a 100km/h on a limitless road with a M5 is highly hypocrit.

Have to say though about your argument on speed limits and death rate, the death rate in germany are lower than here. The difference? anual inspection

+ great street!!!

Go 180km if you want in your car, just not with your god damned kid in it. An infant is so much more fragile and any responsible parent.. scratch that.. any loving parent, wouldn't have gone so fast with the kid in the car.

Having just come back from Germany, I rented a new 2011 528i there, and I can honestly say that cruising those roads, especially in a car like an M5, at speeds of over 150km/h is business as usual.

FIrst and foremost this guy is INCREDIBLY lucky. The sheer momentum of a vehicle going at 180km/h is incredible, and I'm actually surprised that the car only flipped twice. Having said that, its as likely to have been as severe, or maybe worse, had he been going 100km/h or even 60km/h.

Regardless of how fast he was going, what is striking is that a small hole cause this horrible spin off and loss of traction.
RWD + Puncture = BAD at 180 KM/H... But what matters is that everyone got out ALIVE AND WELL.

Whoever criticizes has never driven on an Autobahn. With a car like that, 180kmh is cruising speed...

x2 .. been there and let me tell u .. cars like a yaris are going at 180 + .. we cruised to poland at 160-180 and that was considered slow for the autobhan

Back