Michael Schumacher: "I am the problem"

android25ua

Personally, I too think it is time for him to give room to the youngsters.

Large%20Image.jpg

Michael Schumacher has admitted that his ‘relaxed mindset' is costing his Mercedes GP team.

For the first time since his much publicised return to the sport, the veteran German said: "I arrived at Mercedes with a specific task: not winning at all costs, but to grow the team."

But the 42-year old driver - with seven world championships and 91 race victories under his belt - said his attitude was not fit for the team. "It is a fact that I am a bit more relaxed than before", he said, "and I do not know if my mindset is right for this team.

"At some point, we will evaluate whether I continue or stop," he added.

Since his return last March, he has failed to score a podium position and has found himself regularly outpaced and outscored by his Mercedes teammate and fellow German Nico Rosberg. This season he trails Rosberg in the driver standings by 16 points, and is 202 points adrift of runaway leader Sebastian Vettel.

"If anything, I am the problem," Schumacher admitted.

Three-time world champion Niki Lauda - a long-time supporter of Schumacher's comeback - also voiced his concerns.

"You don't do F1 for fun," the Austrian noted. "In the end he has to ask himself, 'Can I do it or not?' I honestly don't think it will work out for Michael now; when you want to go quicker, you try everything. And when you've tried everything and you still don't make it, that's it.

"I'm sure he's still trying, but one day he will realise that he can't make it, and then he will take a decision."

Speaking of Lauda, Ron Howard has been confirmed as the director for an upcoming film on his 1976 title fight with Hunt; a campaign that Lauda was lucky to escape from after a terrible accident at the Nordschleife and a rain-hit finale at Fuji.

Howard said: "It's a remarkable story and, as all F1 fans know, it nearly ended tragically when Niki Lauda crashed into the barriers while travelling real fast and his car burst into flames."

The Oscar-winning director admitted the budget would be adjusted accordingly because ‘it's a European film', but was confident the US would watch it. "Even though Nascar is king in the States", he said, "a lot of people love F1 and even more people like a good story and this is just that."

Should Michael heed Lauda's advice and call it a day, or has the old dog still got something to show these young pups? Your thoughts, as always, are most welcome...

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/michael-schumacher-mercedes-f1-quitting-2011-08-11

I always liked Schumi and I'll always do but I believe this should be his last campaign.

He shouldv'e stayed where he was and not come back , most of the ppl will remember him now as the one who failed his comeback more than the 7 time world champion.. IMO

When most men have a mid-life crisis they buy a sports car/V6 mustang convertible.
When Schumacher has a mid-life crisis he tries to win an F1 race again.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great driver, I just think it's pretty selfish for him to come back. He potentially took the spot of a great young driver just because almost everybody would love to see him drive again.

ses pas le pillote le problemme ses la voiture ..

il n'est pas moins bon ou meilleur qu'avant ..c'est jusque que sa voiture avant etais competitive , rendue a se niveau les pillotes on pas mal tous les meme skills IMO

^^ l'age sa diminue les réflexe, la vision etc Ya beau donner son 100% ya un moment donner ou tu peu pas être aussi habite quand tu as le double de l'âge...

^^ l'age sa diminue les réflexe, la vision etc Ya beau donner son 100% ya un moment donner ou tu peu pas être aussi habite quand tu as le double de l'âge...

cetais plus pour dire que yetais pas meilleur que les autres avant ...il avait juste une meilleur voiture

cetais plus pour dire que yetais pas meilleur que les autres avant ...il avait juste une meilleur voiture

ur right about the car being better back in the days but u truly see who can drive when it rains .these days it mainly is the car/team that wins races BUT driver skill and age still play a part . think about jacque villeneuve and williams renault , he would still get crushed on rainy days

I think that was actually his gift for his retirement of his last championship. something like that.

ur right about the car being better back in the days but u truly see who can drive when it rains .these days it mainly is the car/team that wins races BUT driver skill and age still play a part . think about jacque villeneuve and williams renault , he would still get crushed on rainy days

This is where real racers realize he might not be as fast as before.. (kinda normal, the schumi+todt+brawn+cie combo took a long time to be perfectly fine tuned.. it will never be the same again for schumi, and anyways, i think it was pretty damn clear that he never thought he could win a championship with mercedes gp during his return... )

I don't really understand the text tho.. on papers schumi might be behind rosberg.. ive watched completely every races this season... and super often you could see schumi still has a lot more talent than most drivers on the track.. the wet example is the best example u could give. Every racer knows thatduring rain conditions, every +/- that keeps you from being as fast as top drivers.. disappears and lets u show to everyone whos hawt and whos not!

Still, thats probably is last season.. it wasnt a great come back.. but it was good to see him run again for a few races :) Its giving me some more memories to remember when thinking about him. And i really don't understand people saying he took the opportunity and the spot of a potential youngster.. come on.. any small team would like to get him and all his knowledge. Him, like senna, or prost etc, can bring you a lot more than you could think of... even if schumi is not as fast as he was .. knowledge never disappears.

Youll be remember ! Forza schumi!

Why retire to give the young ones a chance, let the young ones earn the victory against him.

He had it good at ferrari, dominant car+good driver = domination.

Everyone is so ohhhhh and ahhhhhh over his talent, i firmly believe he is a great racer, as is 3\4 of the current F1 field, the big difference is the car.

Thats what JV was trying to prove by leaving williams to BAR, that he is a better driver then the car. Even though it cost him his career, i respect him in that aspect.

I love schumi I think he's the best driver of all time, but he should of left with his head high and not forced a comeback..

I actually think the opposite. Villeneuve was around back when the cars didn't have all the electronics. now that it's back to this, i think he'd do quite well.

I love schumi I think he's the best driver of all time, but he should of left with his head high and not forced a comeback..

This.

Him with senna are crazy drivers ! I would honestly be curious to see Mika do a comeback, Mika vs Schumi were great battles , like senna vs prost or even the famous battle arnoux vs villeneuve ( gilles )

I actually think the opposite. Villeneuve was around back when the cars didn't have all the electronics. now that it's back to this, i think he'd do quite well.
in every period , it was the same rules for all and honestly j villeneuve didnt have skills like his daddy or any of the other greats

Back