Commuting in Canada: Toronto overall worst, Montreal automotive hell

Marc123

http://www.auto123.com/en/news/car-news/commuting-in-canada-to-overall-worst-montreal-automotive-hell?artid=134878&utm_source=forums_mtlr&utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=blog-en

A Statistics Canada survey on the time Canadians spend commuting to and from work has crowned Toronto as the city requiring the most patience.

In 2010, residents of Toronto’s Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) took 33 minutes to get to work. Montreal’s CMA isn’t far behind with an average of 31 minutes.

In both cities, more than a 25% of commuters took 45 minutes or longer to get to work in 2010, while an additional 25% took 30 to 44 minutes.

Vancouver (30 minutes), Ottawa-Gatineau (27 minutes) and Calgary (26 minutes) round out the top 5.

Commuting-Canada-2011-i001.jpg

Among the full-time workers who took 45 minutes or more to get to work, 36% described most of their days as somewhat or very stressful. Of those who commute 15 minutes, 23% said they felt stressed.

Montreal, Canada's automotive hell

However, it is in Montreal that the drive is the most painful - 30 minutes being required to reach destination. Toronto follows closely with an average of 29 minutes while Vancouver is doing much better at 25 minutes.

public transit is so stupid in montreal. it takes me 8 minutes to get to work by car in the morning, it would take close to 50 if i had to take the public transit. biking takes 15-20

but hey! I'd rather get stuck in traffic in Toronto!
Out of those 33 average minutes in traffic in Toronto, 30 of those minutes are pothole-free and no overpass dodging required.

I understand the push for people to use public transportation but having a job where my schedule is constantly changing day by day and the hours are often outside of public transportation operating hours, it's just not feasible for me. Not to mention I work on the other side of the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL @ public transportation. No buses pass near my work when I finish. Useless shit . I have been stuck in Toronto traffic and it's terrible but like g-ng said, at least the roads were nice

Back