Illinois town builds own track for consumer test drives

Marc123

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/29/illinois-town-builds-own-track-for-consumer-test-drives/

indiana-test-track-630.jpg

If you're shopping for a vehicle near Naperville, Illinois, you may have a chance to put your possible purchases through the gauntlet on at a new facility. The town has joined forces with local dealers to create a driving course that would reduce the number of test drives on public streets and give buyers a better sense of the type of vehicle they were purchasing before they signed on the dotted line. The course features a variety of pavement types, a small parking area and even a sprinkler system to allow for foul-weather evaluations.

While the entire facility is housed in an area roughly the size of a mall parking lot, Cars.com reports that the course gives buyers a safe way to more or less fully evaluate a vehicle. Given that most dealers simply offer up pre-planned routes that give only the faintest impression of what a vehicle will be like to live with, we wish more dealers and buyers had access to similar test track. Head over to Cars.com to check it out in greater detail.

Party pooper.

This is a great idea. I recently tried a GTI at a dealer, and had the opportunity to test-drive the same model on a closed course during a VW event, and I can definitely say the second time was much more interesting. I was able to get a much clearer picture of what the car offers.

Interesting but we'll never have this here because it would be considered a race track and they are noisy and evil according to insurance company and the general public.

Back