Feature Article: Project Vehicle: Oil Change

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
0511civicd.jpg

Projet: Honda Civic 2006
Photos: Jeremy Glover
Article: Danny Geraghty

Voila la sixième partie de notre véhicule projet commandité par Honda Centre Ville. Woods Racing était assez gentil pour nous commanditer une changement d'huile donc un grand merci à eux.

===================================================

This is the sixth installment of our project vehicle sponsored by Honda Centre Ville. The gang at Woods Racing was nice enough to sponsor us an oil change so a big thank you to them.

civicoil1.jpg

civicoil2.jpg

civicoil3.jpg

civicoil4.jpg

civicoil5.jpg

civicoil6.jpg

Wow un changement d'huile, que nous reserve le project vehicule en 7ieme partie?...... changement d'ampoule de phare? , Installation de boucher chromer pour les valves de pneu......tout cela avec des photos et sponsoriser.

Kidding jeremy, its not about you hehe

That's right, the entire cost of the oil change went to the Jewish General in participation of the Weekend to End Women's Cancer. Altogether, we wanted to help raise 2000 dollars and it just so happens that this oil change knocked us over the top! Thanks guys!

The original blog post explaining the involvement with Woods Racing and the Pharmaprix WTEWC can be found here:

TEAM WR/O'Brien

And Mr. "Venom"...to reply to your post...this is just the start of the fluid service being made available to this car. I have written a program for this vehicle. Including engine oil, transmission fluids, brake..etc and well, maybe I'll throw in some chrome valve caps, and maybe even a wiper blade change if that makes you happy...we'll be sure to take pictures just for you!

To start, since I didn't know what kind of oil has been run before in this car, I chose Amsoil's OE 5w20 and a Wix filter. This will help start the switch over to synthetic and clean the engine up. We will work this car up to Amsoil's 0w20 and and Amsoil filter and along with lab sampling the oil I would like to see 15-18,000km drain intervals by the time the program is fully instated, possibly more.

With Jeremy living a little far away from our shop, less intervals is a good thing, and with the amount of driving he does, the benefits of better gas mileage from this oil package will certainly be a plus.

So that's that for now! Thanks guys for helping support a good cause!

Wow un changement d'huile, que nous reserve le project vehicule en 7ieme partie?...... changement d'ampoule de phare? , Installation de boucher chromer pour les valves de pneu......tout cela avec des photos et sponsoriser.

Kidding jeremy, its not about you hehe

Ramplissage de lave vitre :p

BTW, moi jaime bien le look general du véhicule ;)

Bannon at woods racing has done 95 percent of the maintenance on my car, he really does great work!

Really happy to see the project car go to him!

^ A+ reading.

thats why i asked, why not using the oem filter?? instead of a wix filter. honda oem filter are made for both type of oils, since newer honda motor uses 0w20 fully synthetic oil... and at 7$ a filter from honda, id go for it anytime over jobber

thats why i asked, why not using the oem filter?? instead of a wix filter. honda oem filter are made for both type of oils, since newer honda motor uses 0w20 fully synthetic oil... and at 7$ a filter from honda, id go for it anytime over jobber

Because Bannon is instating a program which will result in maximum oil life and fuel economy. Non-OE filter is part of that program.

Because Bannon is instating a program which will result in maximum oil life and fuel economy. Non-OE filter is part of that program.

okay for the 'program' , i think honda made enough in dept procedure to improve fuel economy, that the main reason WHY newer honda run on 0w20, because of theyre 'program' they already made...

by the way for 0w20 , honda recommended to switch all the 5w20 car to 0w20 in the near futur , using an oem filter for best result

I chose a WIX filter because I know they work. I have tested them under various conditions and can feel confident when installing them. Of course, FrankyB16, they will tell you that using an OEM filter will yield best results...naturally they would say that.

Jumpncrash, yes it's a media plug, thats what sponsoring is incase you haven't noticed...I mean, why else do it? Trade product/labour for advertising...sponsoring...thats how it is. But as stated before, yes this one was just for an oil change, but it's a part in a bigger program, involving the rest of the vehicle which will come later on.

Really, the thread is titled Project Vehicle: Oil Change ...it's quite clear....you don't have to come in this thread if you don't like the fact that there is a thread about this oil change...really.

No not at all, with that I will be able to see how well the oil is holding up to the conditions that the car is being driven through. With the amount of driving Jeremy does it will be good to see the data. I will also use it as R&D myself. I stand behind my products and test them to be sure they are doing there job.

Part of my goal here is to extend the drain interval and increase fuel mileage. By testing the oil and the filter, we will be able to see exactly how it is working, if another weight is needed and at which interval the car can go. It will also show any problems with the car, such as dirt entry, metal wear...etc and would be able to see problems before hand and correcting those issues prior to the need of a possibly expensive repair.

Testing oil is inexpensive and gets you a lot of information. Even if it's a stock engine. It doesn't have to be a performance car to know whats gong on inside. Cars are an investment and helping protect that is what I do.

I have all types of clients, from those who bring me in to their race team to be sure the cars engines are holding up all the way to soccer mom's who want to save money by extending their drain interval while still protecting the engine.

One of my customers has a 2006 Corolla, and she is at almost at 21,000 km oil changes, will the oil change and the sample, she spends maybe 150 bucks or so a year on oil changes and also saves money by not wasting time driving to get oil changed every 5k. She's extremely happy and that's similar at what I'm trying to do here.

Bannon, How come all the European cars have intervals of 20 000km + and American and Japanese are around 6-8000kms?

Some have to do with factory fill, here, they love to use a conventional oil which simply can't last, while many euro cars are switching to a full synthetic. The group 5 501/229.xx oils that they are using along with a better redesigned filtration system coupled with the internal monitoring system sets it on its way.

In a lot of Japanese cars, there is definite problems with oil pumps, especially in Toyota's. When the filter reaches near capacity, it's not strong enough to continue supplying the engine with clean oil. This causes the oil pressure light to come on and possibly starve the engine of oil. This is most prevalent to Toyota, Mitsubishi and many Mazda motors. Subaru turbo applications have a problem with their Turbo mesh screen causing blockage thus reducing the interval.

Ford and GM are starting to kick in higher intervals with new sump and filtration systems, which will become more and more relevant.

Thats basically it in a nutshell

Back