Thinking about being a mechanic. Advice?

Haxworth

Hey guys, i am right now just working full time, but i am going to go back to school this winter semester. I have 2 options running through my brain right now, automotive mechanic or mechanical engineering. I know these 2 are completely different but they're both very interesting for me.

What could you fellow montreal racers suggest? What is the path i should take that would be best? I know mechanical engineering takes around 7 years to complete but i end up with a decent job and nice pay. On the other hand i love fixing cars, diagnosing cars and my final goal would be to open a tuning shop.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
personelement je n'etudirais pas en mecanique auto car sa me ferais chier de faire de la plomberie et de l'electricité sur une auto a 12-15$ de l'heure alors que lautre tawouin qui a fait sont Dep en Plomberie ou electricité de maison gagne 18$/h en comencant ....et 35$/h apres 4 ans

Just gonna say one thing and it's a personal opinion, not a fact.

The BEST mechanics I know, none of them went to mechanics school.

They're just the kind of guys that have been tinkering with stuff since they were kids. Becoming mechanics for them was a lifelong process more than a career choice. Most of the kids coming out of school that picked mechanics as a career choice don't have the motivation and dedication needed to suceed in the field. Something to think about.

@ fastwheel

ton point est quelque chose a prendre en consideration, merci :)

@ dubweiser

this is also something that i realised, but if i do end up choosing mechanic, it would be out of love for cars and not for the career itself, but you make you a very valid and strong point, thank you.

@ fastwheel

ton point est quelque chose a prendre en consideration, merci :)

sincerement sa m'enrage de voir des amis qui apres 2-3 ans comme aprentie ne fond que 13-14$/h ...et de voir les employer technitien du dealer ou je travail avoir un salaire entre 30 et 40 000$/ans toute leur vie

alors que pour les meme effort ou meme moins dans la construction tu va faire 60-65 000$ apres seulement quelque anées en plus de tout les avantage que les mecano n'ont pas , sans compter les outil a payer et ect.

^ +1000
I did the DEP halfway then decided to go another route, I went into this class cause of my passion for cars but it will make you hate cars after a while unless you reaaaalllly love mechanic. Now Im working in a part department, Im paid about the same but my job is much more easy even if it gets so boring sometimes I can browse MR all day.

if you want mechanics, go truck and coach. two friend's doing it. it's a more in demand job, therefore pays better. work is of course harder due to weight. one of my friend's just got a job at $14.75/h, he only has 1 year experience with level one apprenticeship level (Ontario), my other friend makes about $16/h i believe, 3 years experience, in for his second level apprenticeship right now.
that being said, i also have two friends who are car mechanics. one works at a hyundai dealer, with level 1 apprenticeship making about $12/h, the other works at a GM dealer, and she get's paid by the job, not sure how that works exactly, i'm sure somebody else could elaborate.
don't forget to factor in tools. you're talking thousands to get started. my one friend that works on trucks has spent about 5k on tools in the last year (including a 2k box)

dotn be a mechanic

start up for all your tools are expensive
getting an apprenticeship will be fckin frustratiing
pay is shit at the start (atleast)
very dirty
physical

Im surprised by the amount of answers im getting, thanks alot guys.

@ mrspider. fastwheel et phil

ouais en fin de compte c'est vraiment pas payant. Dub you're right about that. Mechanics are really underpaid for working really hard where as other jobs have the same pay, if not more, and require half the effort.

@ headbanger

thanks for the heads up and for telling me what your friends are getting paid, it gives me a really good idea of how much i would be getting and i need that. Thank you!

@cavalier mav

yeah with the feedback im getting its not looking too good for mechanic as a career choice. Would prob have to end up putting my love of cars as a hobby.

J'ai fais mon DEP en mecanique auto il y a 5 ans,je retourne a l'ecole parce que c'est pas assez payant,mes chum dans la construction qui font ca depuis moin longtemps que moi font tous dans les 20-25$ de l'heure et sa n'as pas finie de monter,ils on un syndicat,un fond de pension et des semaine de vacances tres payante,tout ce qu'il n'y a pas dans la mecanique ou tu vas avoir le dos finie a 40ans,maximum 20-24$ de l'heure(certains font plus mais c'est des cas specials)

tout ca pour dire,amoir de vraiment vraiment vraiment vouloir faire ca,fait autre choses!

forgot to mention, one of the guys my friend worked with works at Hewitt (the CAT place on the 40) and he makes something like $35+/h + good benefits. at the end of the day it depends if you want good money now, or a good career. sure there's jobs that pay better to start, but you might not make a very good career out if it.
a lot of it is luck too... i'm trying to start an apprenticeship in body work and can't find a job to save my life

J'ai fais mon DEP en mecanique auto il y a 5 ans,je retourne a l'ecole parce que c'est pas assez payant,mes chum dans la construction qui font ca depuis moin longtemps que moi font tous dans les 20-25$ de l'heure et sa n'as pas finie de monter,ils on un syndicat,un fond de pension et des semaine de vacances tres payante,tout ce qu'il n'y a pas dans la mecanique ou tu vas avoir le dos finie a 40ans,maximum 20-24$ de l'heure(certains font plus mais c'est des cas specials)

tout ca pour dire,amoir de vraiment vraiment vraiment vouloir faire ca,fait autre choses!

Jusqu'a date c'est ce que la plupart du monde me dit mais c'est bon d'avoir une personne qui a fait son dep qui me conseille. En fin de compte j'pense devoir laisser mon amour pour les voitures comme passe temps car toute les mécanos m'ont déconseiller. :(

@ headbanger

I also have a friend looking for an apprenticeship in autobody, it seems like its hard to find, but that would definitely be one of my top choices if i go into mechanic.

If you just do your apprenticeship and call it a day after you become an official mechanic, don't be surprised by the lousy pay. If you want ''good'' money as a mechanic you ABSOLUTELY NEED to do your ASE certifications. After that? Do your Bosch certifications. You have to redo your ASE certifications every 5 years but you will make way more money.

been there done that not a fan plus too many mechanics not enough work. not only that pay i find is dogg shit to start getting paid you need to work like a dogg for a while plus to start up your own shop its so expensive and not only that you constantly have to keep going back to school for all the new technology that is coming out. everyone i went to mech school with got their dep but said fuck it except for one guy that was always studying and made sure he understood everything his hgead was constantly in the books he was forty something years old. after we all got our DEPs he went to take that uber difficult exam that makes you certified in any country now the dude is making 40 an hour working at audi and he is schooling all the mecanics there. And this is within a year of him graduatiing. So my final point is mechanics isnt for everyone

also like someone mentioned their buddy working at CAT there is high demand for forklift mechanics and mechanics for STM

i do repair canada posts vehicles all day long, all i could say is do it if your really really love this.

ive been working on vehicles since i was old enough to put a socket on a ratchet, i love what i do, but ill never have a lambo doing this job

what is your job right now?

Back