Style of bike for a beginner?

HeadBanger

MR staff member
I'm thinking of maybe getting a bike next summer. I'm a noob. no knowledge at all really.

I'm trying to get info on type of bike that would be better. obviously something below 600 would be the best, but are those bikes easy to sell? Would I be able to get a GSX-R 600 and put some kind of restrictor so I don't kill myself?

I'd love to get a street-fighter-esque bike, or something like a supermoto. any smaller cc bikes in those classes? The way I see it is I'd rather get something bigger that I can have for a while, than say get a Ninja 250R that I can't sell afterwards that I'm stuck riding because I don't want it just sitting.

I also really like bobbers. Would that be a good starting point? I assume the insurance on an 80's bike is relatively cheap (considering I'm in Ontario and will be 21 in the spring). Does skill/knowledge of driving that type of bike transfer to a sport bike?

Any and all help appreciated.

sv650 x2 bon bike pour debuter! sinon moi j'ai eu ben gros du fun sur mon drz-400sm et pour le bobber sa depend comment c'est fait si tu te ramasse avec un bike ultra capricieux tu triperas p-e pas comme premiere experience a moto

Busa for sure...

When I was getting my first bike, I test drove an SV650 and actually didn't like it at all. The power band, comfort, feel...so I got a Ninja ZX6E instead and couldn't have been happier with it.

I would suggest trying out a couple sport touring 600-750 bikes, and then decide what bike you like best. It's all very subjective.

Why would you get a sport 600cc and put a restrictor? If you know you have the power, you will want to try it, and even with a restrictor, and you'll pay the full price for insurance.
But since you're in Ontario, there are no real good reasons to get a small engine (under 400cc).

Why not a nice standard bike? Triumph, norton, guzzi and such.

I have a FZR250 as a first bike and I'm glad with it, but it's not nearly as reliable and powerfull as a modern bike. It's still a blast to drive (18 000rpm redline) and really nimble since it weights only 140kg.

KAwa: Ninja 650, ZX6e, zzr600, Z750
Suzuki SV650
Yamaha: FZ6
Honda : CB599

else:
Suzuki GS500
Kawa EX500

supermotard: Suzuki DRZ400SM, Yamaha WR250x Je conseille pas le Kawa KLX250sm et ou Honda CRF230sm sauf si tu fais juste de la ville..

sinon n'importe quel supersport 600 plus vieux tu devrais pas avoir trop de misere..(Genre YZF600 (pré R6), Suzuki GSXR600 SRAD, Honda CBR600 F3, Kawa ZX6r 99 et moins.

ps.: un CB599 a le meme moteur qu'un CBR600 F3 ;)

Why would you get a sport 600cc and put a restrictor? If you know you have the power, you will want to try it, and even with a restrictor, and you'll pay the full price for insurance.
But since you're in Ontario, there are no real good reasons to get a small engine (under 400cc).

Why not a nice standard bike? Triumph, norton, guzzi and such.

I have a FZR250 as a first bike and I'm glad with it, but it's not nearly as reliable and powerfull as a modern bike. It's still a blast to drive (18 000rpm redline) and really nimble since it weights only 140kg.
the idea of a restrictor is because i know how i am. i get confident and then it's all out. so if i put a restrictor on for a bit it wouldn't be insta-death.

thanks for the answers.
another question though: is there any bike in particular that's easy to sell, or sells faster than others? i'd hate to be stuck in a year or two if i wanted to upgrade or change it up with a different style

I bought my first bike this summer ZX6R 636cc Ninja,
I was debating getting ther 250R as a starter bike, I'm glad I didn't ! I'm sure they're great bikes, but I got used to the power of the 600 fast and although i don't plan on getting anything higher then 600cc in the future, if i got used to 600cc that fast, i'm sure the 250 could've gotten boring within 1-2 weeks. That being said, i just got my M2 yesterday! passed the test, :) and we practiced all weekend with ~125CC bikes. When i got back on my ninja, I felt like i couldn't drive it anymore, it felt so weird steering it from the regular bikes. Personally, i find the look and style of Sports bike more appealing, perhaps when i'll be older i'll go with the Harley type bikes. but I like how the sports bike handles itself while driving.

I would say go with your instinct, get the GSX, don't worry about restrictions, drive it around a few times around the block and you'll get used to it real quick, specially if you end up LOVING riding a bike like me. I would say invest in frame..hmm..not sure what they are called but they protect the bike should it fall, frame sliders i think? i don't think they are expensive, mine already had some installed when i got it.

Also, being from Ontario, keep in mind the type of bike you end up getting, some insurance company's will not insure your bike if it has an R in it (zx-6R)
but if you have a clean record (2 or less tickets in pass 3 years) you call state farm, should be ~1200$/year full coverage. unless you're under 25, then it might be a bit more, but state farm has the best bike insurance in the province. If you don't get a sports bike with an R in it, try these guys : http://www.homeforchrome.com/

thanks for the help. i'll be 21 by the time i get the bike. still young, so the purchase would honestly rely on what insurance rates would be. how did you find the test/course? easy?

I'm thinking of maybe getting a bike next summer. I'm a noob. no knowledge at all really.

I'm trying to get info on type of bike that would be better. obviously something below 600 would be the best, but are those bikes easy to sell? Would I be able to get a GSX-R 600 and put some kind of restrictor so I don't kill myself?

I'd love to get a street-fighter-esque bike, or something like a supermoto. any smaller cc bikes in those classes? The way I see it is I'd rather get something bigger that I can have for a while, than say get a Ninja 250R that I can't sell afterwards that I'm stuck riding because I don't want it just sitting.

I also really like bobbers. Would that be a good starting point? I assume the insurance on an 80's bike is relatively cheap (considering I'm in Ontario and will be 21 in the spring). Does skill/knowledge of driving that type of bike transfer to a sport bike?

Any and all help appreciated.

Oh god bro, you sound like the typical noob that really is underestimating a 600cc bike or even. Im not trying to sound harsh or anything. Just saying. I suggest you go find someone with a 600cc bike, and ask if you can feel the throttle response. Ive had people say exactly what you said, you know "I'd get something bigger than i can have for awhile than say a ninja 250r" and yeah they did buy a 250 and wanted something bigger, but they were a better rider. And the ones that went straight up to a liter bike, etc, where getting tickets, almost dying and laughing about it.

There is a valid point there though, i mean you do get bored of 250's fast only because you dont have the power and torque you need but i would suggest you look at other bikes besides a gixxer. Though they are "the fastest 600cc bike", you have plenty of options.

I myself am probably a contradicting idiot because my first bike was a 600cc sportbike. 2007 Yamaha yzf600r (im a fairly new rider, first season, road 10k miles so far) But the thing is, i made sure i dedicated time to knowing wtf i was doing. example, i never went over 35 mph which is idk 50kmph for like a month or something because i was still practicing throttle control. I ended up taking the course and has my fair share of 250's.

Overall dude, i suggest you take the course, if there are any courses, you'll feel a 250 and you'll get bored. Just get a 600 and if i has to suggest anything, a sv650, and work on it yourself ( best way to save money and its fun! ) or get a cbr600 f4i if not i think a cbr600rr. I say this because these are the most forgiving 600cc bikes. r6 is mostly track orientated, pretty aggressive posture i think. The Gixxer seat i heard is actually quiet comfortable. Have you looked at the triumph daytona?

anyways i can type probably another novel on a story about a kid i knew who got a liter bike as a first bike. But ill save it. Good luck man! Hope this kind of makes sense.

The course/test was easy I aced it with no errors, but did see some people make a few errors, probably cause they get nervous. Saw a few people fail but they were all women...Hehe

Oh god bro, you sound like the typical noob that really is underestimating a 600cc bike or even. Im not trying to sound harsh or anything. Just saying. I suggest you go find someone with a 600cc bike, and ask if you can feel the throttle response. Ive had people say exactly what you said, you know "I'd get something bigger than i can have for awhile than say a ninja 250r" and yeah they did buy a 250 and wanted something bigger, but they were a better rider. And the ones that went straight up to a liter bike, etc, where getting tickets, almost dying and laughing about it.

There is a valid point there though, i mean you do get bored of 250's fast only because you dont have the power and torque you need but i would suggest you look at other bikes besides a gixxer. Though they are "the fastest 600cc bike", you have plenty of options.

I myself am probably a contradicting idiot because my first bike was a 600cc sportbike. 2007 Yamaha yzf600r (im a fairly new rider, first season, road 10k miles so far) But the thing is, i made sure i dedicated time to knowing wtf i was doing. example, i never went over 35 mph which is idk 50kmph for like a month or something because i was still practicing throttle control. I ended up taking the course and has my fair share of 250's.

Overall dude, i suggest you take the course, if there are any courses, you'll feel a 250 and you'll get bored. Just get a 600 and if i has to suggest anything, a sv650, and work on it yourself ( best way to save money and its fun! ) or get a cbr600 f4i if not i think a cbr600rr. I say this because these are the most forgiving 600cc bikes. r6 is mostly track orientated, pretty aggressive posture i think. The Gixxer seat i heard is actually quiet comfortable. Have you looked at the triumph daytona?

anyways i can type probably another novel on a story about a kid i knew who got a liter bike as a first bike. But ill save it. Good luck man! Hope this kind of makes sense.
ya i wouldn't get a litre bike because i'd for sure die. that's a given.
and the reason i'd want a gsxr is because i like the look more than anything.
at the end of the day i'll probably end up getting an 80's/90's 600 if i decide to follow through on the bike thing. i assume aftermarket is decent. as far as carbs and exhaust. don't care about mileage. an engine rebuild is obviously cheaper than buying a new bike.

I think the best styled 600cc bike is probably the honda's. then the yammies and then the gsxr. Well good luck with your journey :D

I have to agree with mr.cheese. If i tranny went out, it would cost me 1500. Bleh, i guess it is cheaper. lmao. But still fkin expensive.

ok, lets say you get a bike at 1500. put 2 grand for rebuild lets say. youre good to go. or you could buy a bike at 5 grand, that maybe was abused, and be screwed to have to rebuild anyways.
i dunno, that's just what i think. i know nothing about bikes to be honest lol

i dunno, that's just what i think. i know nothing about bikes to be honest lol

ca resume le tout ;)

rebuildé un moteur....sur un bike de moins de 20ans: totalement useless.
Sauf si un bike de course la c'est différent...mais un bike de rue...oublie ca. ca fait plus de 100k km facile un bike.

Back