Diesel-Electric EVO XI confirmed

Marc123

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/24549.htm

In spite of the rumours that have been circulating for a year or so, we still can't quite believe this. It's another item of interest for sporting saloon drivers from today's Autocar magazine - namely confirmation from Mitsubishi president Osamu Masuko that the new Evo XI really will feature (gasp!) diesel electric power.

According to the Autocar report, the Evo's future has been on-and-off this year as Mitsubishi management mulled a future for the company that centred on a new range of electric vehicles.

Apparently the backlash from fans outraged by the model's proposed demise has inspired a rethink at Mitsubishi HQ - hence the reported decision to spend three years bringing the previously mooted new diesel-electric hybrid 4x4 uber-saloon to market. (Although when we first heard about it, we thought it was going to be a petrol hybrid.) We're told it will retain a sub-5sec 0-60 time, but reduce CO2 emissions to 200g/km and the car is being built around a modified version of the S-AWC four wheel drive system.

I don't know what's all the hate against diesel engines today...

FYI, diesel tech is far more advanced today then petrol engines. Petrol engines have not changed in soo many years.
Diesel on the other hand is light years ahead of petrol.

When people hear diesel, they think, 1987 diesel golf knocking sound in the cabin, no performance... times have changed btw

I drove a diesel Impreza in thailand for 3 days, and it was an amazing car.

Diamler bluetec is also pretty frekin cool

I wish Subaru brought the Diesel boxer engine here... it's really sad that in canada we can't have amazing cars because of our fat american friends that decide what to import in NA.

If it doesn't guzzle gas, it ain't coming to NA, simple as that.
Look at all the nice diesel cars in Europe/Asia

Diesel pickups, small cars etc, americans just don't want to have economical cars here, and us in canada, we have no choice but to follow

Look at the Toyota land cruiser, in Asia, it's a diesel, here it's branded like a lexus with a V8, loll

Golf, polo's, cross-fox's, tiny diesel 1.4 engines,1.2L TDI 3cyl, ethanol flexfuel engines...here, 2.5 cyl gas. You want diesel? pay up sucker for the Jetta TDI @ 30k
Citroen, peugeot all have crazy diesel cars, but don't expect them to come here.
doesn't make sense.

everyone is bitching about diesel engines...but all of them would love to drive a 335D......

Independent 4wheels drive electric engines would make for the CRAZIEST set-up in terms of traction. Not top speed though but pure traction control could be nuts.

DSC_2338.jpg

I personally think this is a great idea. I'll just buy one and swap the X's 4B11T inside and have a proper Evo again. IN YO FACE ECO HIPPIES!!!

Back