Around the world trip 2012 (need advice/travelers get in here)

Boily

So I'm doing a big trip with 3 of my friends next year !
Leaving on May 11 2012, coming back the 9th of July.

To give an idea of the places we are visiting :

UkPnZ.jpg

The schedule :

11-mai Montréal --> San Francisco
16-17 mai San Francisco --> Hong Kong
21-mai Hong Kong --> Bangkok
24-mai Bangkok --> Krabi
26-mai Krabi --> Ko Phi Phi Don
29-mai Ko Phi Phi Don --> Phuket
01-juin Phuket --> Bali
05-juin Bali --> Singapore
08-juin Singapore --> Dubai
13-juin Dubai --> Berlin
17-juin Berlin --> Amsterdam
20-juin Amsterdam --> Barcelone
23-juin Barcelone --> Basel
27-juin Genève --> Rome
02-juil Rome --> Nice
05-juil Nice --> Londres
09-juil Londres --> Montréal

We already have a few things planned but I'd like to get some opinions from people who already been there !
List what you did and let me know what is worth seeing *tu*
Give me your tips and feedbacks :)

Last edited:
Basel... 1 day tops... Swim in the Rhine and that's about it.
If you're there for 3 days head to Lucerne and then Mount Titlis.

I have a car in basel so we are planning to go drive on nice roads !
À genève on veux aller faire du hiking et il y a un zip line de fou qu'on veux essayer aussi.
Ca fait quelques fois qu'on me dit de couper un jour ou deux en suisse, on va checker ca, ces billets là sont pas achetés encore.

Just out of curiosity.... What is your budget, all things considered, for this???

about 8k$ for the whole trip, plane tickets = 3000$ so about 5000$ on food, hostels and activities..
We will chose things to do according to our budget !
Some places will be expansive (Singapore/Dubai/london/Switzerland) some others will be really cheap (thailand etc..)

about 8k$ for the whole trip, plane tickets = 3000$ so about 5000$ on food, hostels and activities..
We will chose things to do according to our budget !
Some places will be expansive (Singapore/Dubai/london/Switzerland) some others will be really cheap (thailand etc..)

In all honesty, I think it is impossible to do something like this for 8000. Even if you do manage to pull it off, it will entail a lot of sacrifices and restrictions on spending. I also think that plane tickets will cost you more than 3000$ (How did you come up with this figure?) MTL-SF-HK + LDN-MTL will cost about 2,000 alone! Hostels in europe alone during the summer months are roughly 20-25 euros a night on average across the cities you have named. The cheaper ones also tend to be overbooked during the summer months, leaving you only with the more expensive options. I would suggest doing the whole couch surfing thing but since you are 4, that's not going to work. At the very least, i would budget about $2000 only for paying for places to sleep. That leaves you with $3000 (roughly $30/day) which you will need to feed yourself! You don't have much money left to go around for activities, going out, touristy stuff, etc... Also, don't kid yourself by thinking that cheaper Asia will offset more expensive Europe! You are going to spend in Asia almost just as much as in europe! The cities you are going to in Asia aren't cheap! Lastly, considering the route, you will be spending a lot of time in Airports going from one place to the next!

All in all, I would say that the plan is a little to ambitious for the amount of time you have and the budget you have. Budget wise, I would say 10,000 at least for something like this.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I think it is impossible to do something like this for 8000. Even if you do manage to pull it off, it will entail a lot of sacrifices and restrictions on spending. I also think that plane tickets will cost you more than 3000$ (How did you come up with this figure?) MTL-SF-HK + LDN-MTL will cost about 2,000 alone! Hostels in europe alone during the summer months are roughly 20-25 euros a night on average across the cities you have named. The cheaper ones also tend to be overbooked during the summer months, leaving you only with the more expensive options. I would suggest doing the whole couch surfing thing but since you are 4, that's not going to work. At the very least, i would budget about $2000 only for paying for places to sleep. That leaves you with $3000 (roughly $30/day) which you will need to feed yourself! You don't have much money left to go around for activities, going out, touristy stuff, etc... Also, don't kid yourself by thinking that cheaper Asia will offset more expensive Europe! You are going to spend in Asia almost just as much as in europe! The cities you are going to in Asia aren't cheap! Lastly, considering the route, you will be spending a lot of time in Airports going from one place to the next!

All in all, I would say that the plan is a little to ambitious for the amount of time you have and the budget you have. Budget wise, I would say 10,000 at least for something like this.

This Man Speaks The Truth.

We are booking hostels in advance (need to pay 10% of the total price)
Already chose the ones we are staying at : In total, hostels/hotels = $1 607,00 CAN

Already shop for plane tickets ( $3 024,15 CAN )
That leaves us 3400$ or 57$/day for food and activities.
If we spend in average 35$/day on food that leaves us 22$ for other stuff !

La pluspart du temps on va marcher et visiter la ville...
Nous utiliserons pas l'argent pour les activités environs un jour sur deux donc 22$x30 = 660$ distribués dans les autres jours.
So that leaves us about 44$/days for activities !

Last trip we did 2 years ago was 3 weeks in europe and we spent 3000$ in total *plane/train/food/hostels/activities (will be cheaper this time since we are taking the plane instead of the train to travel in europe..)

Thaïland:

• Bangkok: Amazing city, hope it is recovered by the then. VERY VERY fun to shop for summer clothing there. I would totally bring ZERO summer clothing with me and buy a small ward robe over there in the local markets of the old town and/or big surface of down town. It's an experience in itself. BARGAIN ALL SERVICES
  • Screw Phuket... Visit the Krabi province on the mainland, Kho Lanta. It feels less like a all included tourist festival. It's cheaper too, more youth more outdoors activities.
  • Island of Ko Pha ngan is the place for party animals. Look-up Full moon parties. Similar Latitude but opposite ocean. Pretty touristy.

Nice:

• Drive from Nice to Monaco low road to go, high road to come back. Driving in Monaco is a very fun experience if you've played a lot of racing sims
  • All in all, Nice sucks IMO and probably will be VERY crowed at that time. Make sure you have "In land" plan B.

All in all overly ambitious plan. Daily budget is not quite realistic if you factor in car rental at even 1/4 of the time. To much plane = to much possible fuck-up+high season+hotel reservation+prime tourist destination= headache.

You have what? 7 flights+numerous bus/train? That's like shaving a week and a half just in transportation.

I would trim down and shave a couple thing to give yourself more flexibility.

All in all overly ambitious plan. Daily budget is not quite realistic if you factor in car rental at even 1/4 of the time. To much plane = to much possible fuck-up+high season+hotel reservation+prime tourist destination= headache.

You have what? 7 flights+numerous bus/train? That's like shaving a week and a half just in transportation.

I would trim down and shave a couple thing to give yourself more flexibility.

15 vols d'avion au total.
On ne va jamais prendre le train à part sur la côte d'azur
Temps total de voyagement (avion) : 70.95 hrs
Temps moyen de voyagement par jour: 1.18 hrs/jour
Seul places qu'on va louer un auto c'est a San Francisco et en Suisse

Amsterdam:
Thing To Do and See in Am*dam
Amsterdam for 18+
Nightlife in Amsterdam

Berlin:
Unfortunately I never blogged about this amazing city but there is LOTS to see and do.
- Brandenburg Gate/Reichstag. If the line to get inside the Reichtag is too long - don't waste your time. It's a great place to visit but not worth it if you'll have to wait for a few hours.
- Ckeck point Charlie: crossing point between East Berlin and West Berlin. There is also a private museum right there, I enjoyed the visit.
- Find the remains of the Berlin Wall. Also visit the East Side Gallery; Graffitied Berlin Wall, really cool.
... basically just walking around the city is great. For the nightlife... I'll let you know by pm/fb ;)

15 vols d'avion au total.

Je trimerais vraiment ça. Moi aussi mes itinéraires ressemble énormément à cela au départ, super ambitieux. Donne toi plus de "lousse". Peut-être que vous sous-estimés le temps in/out associé à un vol.

Je trimerais vraiment ça. Moi aussi mes itinéraires ressemble énormément à cela au départ, super ambitieux. Donne toi plus de "lousse". Peut-être que vous sous-estimés le temps in/out associé à un vol.

On a nos bagages avec nous, rien en dessous de l'avion...on sauve du temps là.
En europe on vol avec easyjet, t'arrive 1hr à l'avance, ya pas de problème.
La pluspart de nos longs vols sont la nuit donc on dort et on ne perd pas de temps ;)

Amsterdam:
Thing To Do and See in Am*dam
Amsterdam for 18+
Nightlife in Amsterdam

Berlin:
Unfortunately I never blogged about this amazing city but there is LOTS to see and do.
- Brandenburg Gate/Reichstag. If the line to get inside the Reichtag is too long - don't waste your time. It's a great place to visit but not worth it if you'll have to wait for a few hours.
- Ckeck point Charlie: crossing point between East Berlin and West Berlin. There is also a private museum right there, I enjoyed the visit.
- Find the remains of the Berlin Wall. Also visit the East Side Gallery; Graffitied Berlin Wall, really cool.
... basically just walking around the city is great. For the nightlife... I'll let you know by pm/fb ;)

sick stuff, thanks man *tu**tu*

Back