did you know: The police in Canada can NOT arbitrarily stop people & ask for their ID

illuminance

Legacy Member
did you know: The police in Canada can NOT arbitrarily stop people & ask for their ID

-
but im sure its happened to many while out walking

Ontario Ombudsman André Marin knows that the police in Canada can NOT arbitrarily stop people and ask for their ID

From: Caught in the Act: Ontario Ombudsman's report on G20 regulation. News conference, Dec. 2010 (2/2)

TheMoreYouKnow.gif

We're talking about people on foot not breaking any laws (provincial or federal)?

both provincial & federal - your rights in the charter are country wide.

and When you are arrested trying this out by some sub 90-IQ power trip be happy you will/should win money (eventually) from the lawsuit

I am wondering if the same thing could be applied in USA: Can you refuse to show up ID to police officers if you don't break any laws?

-
but im sure its happened to many while out walking

Ontario Ombudsman André Marin knows that the police in Canada can NOT arbitrarily stop people and ask for their ID

From: Caught in the Act: Ontario Ombudsman's report on G20 regulation. News conference, Dec. 2010 (2/2)

c'est pas ca qu'il dit dans le video
CANNOT ARBITRARY DETAIN AND ASK FOR THEIR ID

grosse difference entre ce qu'il dit et ce que toi tu ecris ... grosse grosse difference
la lumiere etait sur le dimmer

c'est pas ca qu'il dit dans le video
CANNOT ARBITRARY DETAIN AND ASK FOR THEIR ID

grosse difference entre ce qu'il dit et ce que toi tu ecris ... grosse grosse difference
la lumiere etait sur le dimmer

C'est quoi ton point?

Since police are "agents of a corporation"(Yes, governments are in power and political parties are "corporations") they must also provide you with a "business card" when giving a ticket or fine !

I always get a stare from them I ask for their business card and they respond; "I don't have one and I cannot give you my personal cellphone number" ...LoL they are already breaking the law by not providing you with their business card, any Joe Blow can dress up as a cop and ticket you ?

Since police are "agents of a corporation"(Yes, governments are in power and political parties are "corporations") they must also provide you with a "business card" when giving a ticket or fine !

I always get a stare from them I ask for their business card and they respond; "I don't have one and I cannot give you my personal cellphone number" ...LoL they are already breaking the law by not providing you with their business card, any Joe Blow can dress up as a cop and ticket you ?

Partly false... their badge is another valid ID.

C'est quoi ton point?

le point est que c'est loin d'etre la meme histoire entre te faire retenir (comme il dit DETAIN) pour une verification et une simple verification
DETAIN implique que tu es retenu contre ton gre

un beau titre a la Sandro Graine

They can ASK for ID... You just don't HAVE to provide one if you did not break any law.

It really isn't that simple. If you've ever been asked for ID by a cop, you know it's all flowers and bunnies. I've said no many times, it only lead to them being more aggressive, threatening to arrest me. At some point you just have to weigh whether its worth it or not and eventually you cave in and hand him your ID.

so that i'm clear; they can't 'cuff you or something similar just to ask for ID?
to me this seems kind of strange. lets say they're looking for a rapist and you fit the physical description. or what that going against the whole arbitrary thing? because to be honest they could just make up some bullshit story like "i saw some guy who looked like you last week causing trouble" and ask for your ID

so that i'm clear; they can't 'cuff you or something similar just to ask for ID?
to me this seems kind of strange. lets say they're looking for a rapist and you fit the physical description. or what that going against the whole arbitrary thing? because to be honest they could just make up some bullshit story like "i saw some guy who looked like you last week causing trouble" and ask for your ID

yeah but thats a reason , they suspect you of breaking the law . its vague i know but ...

ya agree 100%. to be honest, i always just give my ID when asked by a cop. i know i didn't do anything wrong. i have to warrants or anything so they're wasting their time more than they're wasting mine. good to know though, sometimes you need to be a bit of a smart-ass

cop: can i see your ID sir?
us: no you can't, and you may not either.
lol

• Even when not legally required to identify yourself, the police may respond negatively if you refuse to do so. Workers have been charged
with obstruction of justice/police officer, public mischief, etc. for refusing to identify themselves or for giving a fake name.
• It is a good idea to note badge numbers, names, licence plates, police car numbers and witnesses. If asked, police must give their name
and badge number (even if you aren’t arrested).
• Police can search you and your stuff and bring you in for questioning if they believe you are committing or about to commit a crime.
• If you are under arrest:
• The police must say why and read you your rights.
• You must provide your legal/correct name, address and date of birth.
• Expect to be charged with a number of things. The police often over charge to increase the chances that one charge will stick.
• The police can search you.
• Only women officers can do a full body search on a person with female genitalia. Insist on an officer appropriate for your search.
• You have a right to a lawyer, even if you have no money. Police must give you the local legal aid number.
• You have the right to remain silent (except for identifying yourself). Say nothing until your lawyer arrives. Anything you say (confession,
informing on others, etc.) may be used against you.
• You can be arrested:
• With or without a warrant. A warrant is one or more pieces of paper that legally allows police to arrest you and/or search your home.
• You have a right to see the warrant. It should have your name on it, a description of the charge, and be signed by a judge.
• If the warrant involves a search of your home, you can ask to see the warrant before letting the police in. You can also follow police
around and make note of what they do and what they take. Your notes could be useful if you believe they did something out of line.
Don’t be intimidated by them.
• If you are formally accused of a crime.
• If you are caught committing a crime (e.g., soliciting in a public place) a warrant is not needed.
• If you have consumed too much alcohol or drugs, or if the police have reason to believe you are committing or about to commit a crime (a
warrant is not needed).
• If there is an outstanding warrant for your arrest.

http://web2.uwindsor.ca/courses/sociology/maticka/star/pdfs/law_matters_prnt.pdf

Back