Acheter aux states

thinkbig

Je sais que vous êtes tannés de threads de ce genre.. c'est pour ca que je le mets en OT :p

1) Je voulais seulement savoir si acheter d'un private party aux states était mieux qu'un dealership/compagnie? Économise-t-on une taxe?

2) Je veux acheter une X5 2009-2010 et j'ai lu a quelque part qu'il fallait une lettre d'un concessionnaire BMW pour pouvoir l'importer au Canada.. alors, serait-ce mieux pour moi de chercher une X5 vendue par un concessionnaire BMW et faire un deal avec eux pour qu'ils incluent la lettre sans frais additionnel?

3) Connaissez-vous des sites autre que Cars.com et Autotrader pour chercher une voiture usagée? J'ai regardé le kijiji et le craiglist du coin de Vermont/Massachusetts et j'ai rien trouvé. Y-a-t-il d'autre States pas trop loin où je pourrais chercher? Je vais regarder pour Ohio, IL..

+REP pour n'importe quelle aide!

va sur RIV.ca tu va avoir toutes les infos qu'il te faut pour l'importation. Et je t'avertis, si tu utilises par un courtier et que tu fais tout toi-même, prépares toi a mettre du temps la dessus. C'est de la paperasse en maudit

No duty since the X5 is built in North America. You'll need the recall clearance letter and "retrofit mods" from BMW Canada done at a BMW dealer. This can cost 500-2000$

No duty since the X5 is built in North America. You'll need the recall clearance letter and "retrofit mods" from BMW Canada done at a BMW dealer. This can cost 500-2000$

I just read and nothing needs to be changed. I can manually change DRL to ON and change units to metric on iDrive. Also, the cluster doesn't need to be changed: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495363

So, it's only the recall letter (500$) + inspection at canadian tire + GST and I'm all good?

You have GST to pay upon crossing the border as well as PST that is paid at the SAAQ. Like stated above though, you will save 6% additional duty which is applied to imported cars built elswhere then north america. There is also a $100 "green" fee for cars with air conditioning.

Grocery list:

-GST
-100$ air conditioning fee
-RIV fee
-recall clearance letter
-Canadian Tire inspection
-PST

If you buy from a dealer however, you will have to pay tax at the dealership on top of the taxes listed above....if you import a newer car it better be worth while because any margin at all is eaten up with taxes, not to mention the time that all of this takes

You have GST to pay upon crossing the border as well as PST that is paid at the SAAQ. Like stated above though, you will save 6% additional duty which is applied to imported cars built elswhere then north america. There is also a $100 "green" fee for cars with air conditioning.

Grocery list:

-GST
-100$ air conditioning fee
-RIV fee
-recall clearance letter
-Canadian Tire inspection
-PST

If you buy from a dealer however, you will have to pay tax at the dealership on top of the taxes listed above....if you import a newer car it better be worth while because any margin at all is eaten up with taxes, not to mention the time that all of this takes

I bought my Sky from a dealership in Idaho and I didn't pay any american sales tax at all since I was a canadian customer ... I still have my sales contract I could look up. It was used though and not new.

I've bought 3 different cars from the states, twice from people (2 Subaru's) and once from a dealer (Saturn). It's a real joke, it's easy and really doesn't take that much time when you know what you are doing... I got all my info online and everything is really streight forward. Hell the hardest thing I had to do in my 3 purchases was find the damn export control office at the windsor border crossing.

NOT true

I've imported my BMW and the letter stuff is bullshit.

PLus youc an get the car converted anywhere.

I just read and nothing needs to be changed. I can manually change DRL to ON and change units to metric on iDrive. Also, the cluster doesn't need to be changed: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495363

So, it's only the recall letter (500$) + inspection at canadian tire + GST and I'm all good?

No letter, it's not needed anymore.

You need recall clearance but you can simply get it from a US BMW dealership, it need the stamp from the dealership on the printout that states no pending recall. that's it.

You pay RIV fee and you get it inspected canadian tire for federal, then garage for SAAQ.

you don't pay duty (I had to pay since mine was a M3 built outside the US) but you'll pay GST at the border. PST is due at the SAAQ.

No letter, it's not needed anymore.

You need recall clearance but you can simply get it from a US BMW dealership, it need the stamp from the dealership on the printout that states no pending recall. that's it.

You pay RIV fee and you get it inspected canadian tire for federal, then garage for SAAQ.

you don't pay duty (I had to pay since mine was a M3 built outside the US) but you'll pay GST at the border. PST is due at the SAAQ.
thanks for the info!

And, any difference if I purchase the car from a dealership or a private party? Any extra taxes?

500$ for a recall letter? no way, its free.
you need 2 inspections; federal and provincial.
there also might be a green tax on the car since it's an SUV.

500$ for a recall letter? no way, its free.
you need 2 inspections; federal and provincial.
there also might be a green tax on the car since it's an SUV.

It's free from most manufacturers, but Mercedes and BMW charge for their recall letters.

It's free from most manufacturers, but Mercedes and BMW charge for their recall letters.

it's FREE damnit.

have you imported a BMW in the last few years? no, well then don't write.

the letter is free unless you'Re dumn and get it from a canadian dealer.

thanks for the info!

And, any difference if I purchase the car from a dealership or a private party? Any extra taxes?

same thing. I bought mine from a private party, but you have to get the letter from a dealer, in the US unless you want to pay a hefty fee.

Mine I got the inspection done in the US, they had the printout saying the recalls that were done and that none were pending. You get that same letter stamped with the dealer's stamp (name/address) and that's it. You really need the stamp though!!!

I'm sure your private party seller can get you that letter even without doing an inspection, it takes 30 seconds to print with the VIN.

it's FREE damnit.

have you imported a BMW in the last few years? no, well then don't write.

the letter is free unless you'Re dumn and get it from a canadian dealer.

It's not free from a Canadian dealer, pardon my ignorance as I work at a Canadian dealer :rolleyes:

you can do what I did to get the clearance letter.
I called a random BMW dealer
told him I was interested in getting a new vehicle from his dealership.
Then told him I have a potential buyer for my BMW but the guy wants the vehicle service history.
They will send you anything to try and get a sale.
You give him the VIN and then he prints it or faxes it to you and bingo, you just saved 500$.
So instead of BMW screwing you, you screw them.

Back