Buying used private car from Ontario

mb5

Legacy Member
Anyone done it before?

I am going to drive down to pick up the car and drive it back.
How do i go about doing this in regards to plating it when i go get it?
Also, how do i insure the car thats not registered in Quebec yet?

Thanks

I recently did this....u need to get insured on the car and show proofs of it once yer at the plates ppl in ontario. They ask for proofs so they can sell u a temporary so u can legaly drive the car back...once in QC u need to show that the car passed inspection, u need the signed ontario registration from the previous owner and a bill of sale wich doesnt have to be official, any piece of paper with both partie names, adress, price and signed...u should be good to go. If u have more question call saaq.

What he said plus when you get in quebec you will have to pass the saaq inspection then you get a vignette and voila your done. That's what I did when I got my Z from toronto to montreal.

moi j'aurait une autre par raport a ca! j'ai acheter un vehicule antique ya 1 mois qui est en ontario. il reste la-bas jusqu'au printemps. Est-ce c'est le même principe??? il peuvent me vendre un transit???

As far as insurance goes: just give your insurance company the VIN and they'll insure the car even if it doesn't have qc plates yet. My truck came from New Brunswick and I got it insured before I plated it.

Maybe this was just my specific case, but when i bought my car in ontario, they didn't ask for insurance whatsoever... Nor did they ask to see proof of insurance. I'm not saying you don't have to insure it, but they didn't ask me for it.

Insurance is "your" responsability so they wont ask. No problem leaving the car in another province for as long as you want once you bring it in quebec you have to have inspection then plates.

I didn't need to bring insurance either. When I bought from a dealer I think I needed it, but not from a private seller.

donc si je comprend bien la "saaq" ontarienne te donne un transit pour revenir chez vous en roulant. tu doit etre assurer a ce moment la. apres inspection mecanique. apres tu va le faire plaquer a la saaq????

when buying a car here in ontario, you don't need insurance at the point of purchase (except maybe at a dealer). but when you want to go get plates you need insurance. that being said, if you just want to transfer it to your name because you're towing it back you wont need insurance

T'as pas besoin d'assurances au bureau des plaques ontarien pour avoir ton transit.

yes, you need insurance. copied direct from the MTO website:

Temporary Vehicle Registration allows vehicles to be driven to licensing offices, garages (eg. to satisfy Safety Standards Certificate and/or Drive Clean requirements) and for other necessary short-term transportation purposes. Temporary Vehicle Registration is a "T" validation sticker that must be affixed to the upper right hand corner of your licence plate and will be valid for ten days starting with the date issue. A vehicle that has been sold must be registered in the new owner's name, prior to Temporary Vehicle Registration being issued for the vehicle.

As of July 28, 2008:

Temporary Vehicle Registration is eligible for use on all passenger, unladen commercial motor vehicles, motorcycles and low speed motorcycles;
All passenger and unladen commercial motor vehicles are eligible to obtain a maximum of two Temporary Vehicle Registration per vehicle within a 365-day period;
A newly transferred vehicle that requires Temporary Vehicle Registration must be registered and plated in the new owner's name;
Owners must pay outstanding 407 ETR fines and NSFs before receiving Temporary Vehicle Registration; and
Regular vehicle registration processes do not change for owners that do not require Temporary Vehicle Registration (i.e if all regulatory requirements are met at time of registration, full validation will be issued).

To apply for a trip permit, take the following items to any ServiceOntario Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office:

The original fit vehicle permit;
If the permit is not registered in your name ensure that the back of the permit is completed and signed by the previous owner, (a Bill of Sale can be used for supporting documentation from the person named on the permit);
Used Vehicle Information Package (if a private sale)
Name of your insurance company and policy number for the vehicle that you are registering; and
Existing plates (if available) along with the plate portion of the vehicle permit.

Thanks for the info

What do they inspect for during inspection? Is it a smog test or do they actually check for modifications and such.
Thanks

donc si je comprend bien la "saaq" ontarienne te donne un transit pour revenir chez vous en roulant. tu doit etre assurer a ce moment la. apres inspection mecanique. apres tu va le faire plaquer a la saaq????

yessir

yes, you need insurance. copied direct from the MTO website:

Temporary Vehicle Registration allows vehicles to be driven to licensing offices, garages (eg. to satisfy Safety Standards Certificate and/or Drive Clean requirements) and for other necessary short-term transportation purposes. Temporary Vehicle Registration is a "T" validation sticker that must be affixed to the upper right hand corner of your licence plate and will be valid for ten days starting with the date issue. A vehicle that has been sold must be registered in the new owner's name, prior to Temporary Vehicle Registration being issued for the vehicle.

As of July 28, 2008:

Temporary Vehicle Registration is eligible for use on all passenger, unladen commercial motor vehicles, motorcycles and low speed motorcycles;
All passenger and unladen commercial motor vehicles are eligible to obtain a maximum of two Temporary Vehicle Registration per vehicle within a 365-day period;
A newly transferred vehicle that requires Temporary Vehicle Registration must be registered and plated in the new owner's name;
Owners must pay outstanding 407 ETR fines and NSFs before receiving Temporary Vehicle Registration; and
Regular vehicle registration processes do not change for owners that do not require Temporary Vehicle Registration (i.e if all regulatory requirements are met at time of registration, full validation will be issued).

To apply for a trip permit, take the following items to any ServiceOntario Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office:

The original fit vehicle permit;
If the permit is not registered in your name ensure that the back of the permit is completed and signed by the previous owner, (a Bill of Sale can be used for supporting documentation from the person named on the permit);
Used Vehicle Information Package (if a private sale)
Name of your insurance company and policy number for the vehicle that you are registering; and
Existing plates (if available) along with the plate portion of the vehicle permit.

awesome copypasta, the woman didn't ask me. HAX.

Thanks for the info

What do they inspect for during inspection? Is it a smog test or do they actually check for modifications and such.
Thanks

if the car isn't a complete POS and isn't modded like crazy, you should be ok

Back